[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 97 KB, 1288x754, DandelionWine.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
494323 No.494323 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /diy/, I gots me a couple of questions. If some of these are dumb, I assure you that I am not a troll, just stupid.
1. Is this infographic at all accurate? What quality of wine would I end up with a setup like this? What would the proof be?
2. Could the wine be aged longer? What would be the upper limit? What would happen past that point?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my (possibly retarded) questions about brewing, noble /diy/nosaurs.

>> No.494324

>>494323
ITT: Underage B& wants alcohol

>> No.494332

My grandfather used to make dandelion wine. This was pretty much the method. It works well, and can be aged to mellow the flavours. It should be around 12% when it's done.

>> No.494338

>>494324
Fuck off. Just because YOU'RE a twelve-year-old, doesn't mean everyone is. If I wanted alcohol back when I was underaged, why not just grab a beer out of the fridge where my parents used to keep it? Or go to some college party? It wouldn't have been hard. But I'm not retarded. So no.
>>494332
Thank you very much, my friend.

>> No.494363

>>494338
From zero to butthurt in one post.

>> No.494366

>>494323
This is reasonable accurate. I have some aging right now. It has been in storage for about a year now. I tried it after about 3 months and it was soso (at best) so i am giving it more time.

-Make sure you clean (boil down) all your equipment including scoops, hoses, spoons, etc.
-Use good yeast, not the stuff from your grocery store. This yeast strain is designed for baking. Find a homebrew store in your area, or order it online. If in doubt, "Red Star Champagne yeast" Is my go to yeast.
-Store it in the right environment, not too hot not too cold. around 60-80 F should be fine, but if you can keep it at a constant 70F that is best imho.
-If it tastes bad, give it more time. Aging can work wonders.

>> No.494380

>>494323
>Is this infographic at all accurate?

Yes, but I'd bleach the containers and rinse them out with boiled water that's cooled. that will help prevent contamination.

>What quality of wine would I end up with a setup like this?

With aging it should be pretty okay. However, take note that there's no tannins added for mouth feel. I recommend making the water into a tea by boiling 3 tea bags in it and letting them set and cool for about 5 minutes. One thing to help the flavor would be to use the zest of the oranges only and make sure not to get the white parts of the peel into the brew. This will make it less bitter and have less fusel alcohols, but not by much.

What would the proof be?

If it ferments dry, about 17%ABV, but it'll depend on the yeast, as it might not reach total dryness. Expect 12.5% to 14%. Since we don't know exactly how much sugars will be in the oranges nor how much orange juice is put into the brew the total sweetness isn't exactly perfectly calculable.

>Could the wine be aged longer?

Of course. It is a white wine so I recommend at least 1 year of aging. If you wish to keep it around for much longer make sure to use proper corks for the time limit you want to age it or keep it (composite corks: 1-2 years, natural corks 2-8 years, synthetic corks can last 20 years). You can age it in the final container before putting it into bottles for as long as you want.

>What would be the upper limit? What would happen past that point?

For a white wine like that I'd age no more than 3 years. After that it won't get much better. After say 5-10 years it might start to oxidate to the point that it affects flavor negatively, but this will depend on your method of storage and the amount of oxygen in it. Synthetic corks don't breath like composite and natural corks so it takes longer to age wine in them.

PROTIP: take the time to make sure no green bits of the flowers make it into the brew, they will make it bitter. Only the petals can go in.