[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 21 KB, 500x375, CabinetIG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
493690 No.493690 [Reply] [Original]

Alright so, The project I am currently working on isn't a difficult one; I'm just building a stand/cabinet for putting my old games in (N64, Gamecube, PS2, PS1, etc.), and Placing my television monitor on. However, I really want to accurately plot out its structure as well as find out how much of what supplies I'm going to need in order to construct it.
Oh, and my drawing skills are shit.
I'm envisioning it to look something like the attached image, but a bit shorter and quite alot wider, with more internal support.
I already have the measurements of what I want the overall volume to be, but I would prefer it if I had some sort of program with which I could map it out so I don't miscalculate how much wood I need, how long the internal support beams need to be, etc.
I've had trouble finding a program that properly fits my needs so far, as everything I've found so far has ended up being some kind of floor planner, has been two dimensional, or has lacked the ability to input measurements.
Requirements:
-Mac compatible (I can't help it man I've got what I've got)
-Free
-Simple to use
-Must show measurements of edges
-I'd prefer that It show all object edges as lines, with dotted lines to signal that the edge is behind the rest

*As a heads up, I don't have time to torrent anything.

>> No.493696

Google Librecad and Qcad.

Not sure which is easier to use. I've used Qcad and it's a bit clunky.

>> No.493698

>>493696
thanks man

>> No.493749

>>493696
I recommend Siemens Solid Edge ST5 if you can get the free Student version. It doesn't have any restrictions.

>> No.493758
File: 160 KB, 1021x787, Under window.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I use Google SketchUp all the damned time...

Using it right now, actually (pic related)

>> No.493775

>>493749
Also, it is really straightforward to make 2D technical drawings with Solid Edge after you have completed assembling your 3D model.

Damn, I start to sound like a Siemens shill.

>> No.493833

My favorite is SolidWorks but it's difficult to learn how to use. My guess is, you can get a student version of AutoCAD. That's what I did before I got SW.