[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 54 KB, 406x600, 1348386525451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
483084 No.483084 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a good brand of screwdriver to buy? The head gets worn out very easily in the cheap shit I buy. I'm looking to buy a good one now.

>> No.483086

Where do you live?
Tools in general are good if they have a chrome vanadium coat or something similar.

>> No.483087

>>483086
>Where do you live?
India
>chrome vanadium coat
I'll look for those. The ones I have are generic ones I buy from a store next to my house. It costs $1 for a set. They're okay for most work but the smaller screw heads (for Laptops, watches, etc) wear off easily.

>> No.483094

>>483087
Sorry, don't know what brands there are in India. German here and quite fond of my WURO set. Mostly anything German should be of top quality though.

Also it's recommended to not only use good screw drivers but also good screws. If you have good quality on one side only, the other one gets worn out faster.

>> No.483098

>>483094
There is a place around here where I can get german stuff. I'll go down there tomorrow. Pretty sure I can get whatever I want.

>> No.483101

wiha or wera.

>> No.483102

>>483094
>Mostly anything German should be of top quality though.

Said no one about German comedians ever.

More on topic though. I'd get a driver that can take different bits. Its more versatile than a set of single head screwdrivers and it takes up less space. You can also expand it later as needed. It was a lot cheaper for me to buy a set of security star bits for my driver than a whole set of star screwdrivers. The shafts tend to be thicker to fit the bits though, so take that into account.

>> No.483136

I really like Wiha stuff.

>> No.483140

>>483084
I've had the same DeWalt ratcheting screwdriver throughout my entire apprenticeship, and now that I'm a journeyman carpenter I still use it. DeWalt > most.

>> No.483150
File: 189 KB, 800x600, xgrsetweb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hi!

Wiha or Wera is very good already, but I buy nothing else but Walter Schröder.
http://www.walter-schroeder.de/schraubendreher/index.html
Try the X-Gripp series.
For the slotted ones, I use the VDE type ment for electrical installation work. Here, the shaft is slimmer, and after removing the insulation, it is easy to reach even deeply recessed screws that some devices have. Normal slotted screwdrivers can be quite broad in the area behind the tip.

>> No.483153

>>483150

delete the thread you made here >>483148 please.

>> No.483175

>>483087
You need to find more expensive ones. I paid $40 for a screwdriver set a couple of months ago because I was tired of cheap ones breaking all the time. I'm not looking back at the cheap shit anymore.

>> No.483177

I live in the US and I really really like Stanley tools. Not too expensive (like Snap On or something) and I have only wore out like 2 phillips bits ever.

>> No.483188

Are you using the screw driver properly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwdriver

>Proper use of a screwdriver requires that the screwdriver's tip engages with the head of a screw having the same size and type designation as the screwdriver itself. Screwdriver tips are available in a large variety of shapes and sizes.

>> No.483214

piquick

the best all in one.
made in canada, last forever

trust me. the best. PICQUICK

>> No.483233

When I ran a service truck, I bought a larger flat head and a larger #3 Phillips. I also carried a smaller pocket screwdriver.

90% of what I did was handled by the $3 orange Buck Brothers interchangeable screw driver sold at Home Depot. My first one lasted 4 years that I used Mon-Fri, 8-5, 52 weeks a year. I lost it. The second is going on 3 years and showing no signs of stopping, granted, it's used a lot less since I do office work.

>> No.483320

Buy a bit driver and a shitload of bits.

>> No.483324

>>483233
those 6 in 1 things are great

2 large philips and flat
2 small philips and flat
5/16 and 1/4" nut drivers

>> No.483359

>>483324

Yep, and even though the interior is hollow for the driver portion of the screwdriver, you can pound on it quite a bit to remove a stubborn screw while turning.

>> No.484635

>>483177
I use tools fairly hard and Stanley won't cut it under rough use in my opinion. That said, their higher eschelon brands (like Proto and Challenger and Mac) can take a beating. Rigid also makes a good screwdriver.

>>483084
Go where some mechanics are working at a good shop that's clean and well-equipped. Ask the mechanics what brands they like. You can go cheap on lots of things. Motor oil and screwdrivers are not on that list, buy good ones.

>> No.484686

>>483084
Buy Craftsman and you'll never have to pay to replace a screwdriver ever again.