[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 35 KB, 640x480, 9th circle of hell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
482437 No.482437 [Reply] [Original]

All I want to do is install my window a/c unit, /diy/. My dumbass landlady, however, has burglar bars installed on every single window in the house, even three feet above ground level.

>stripped screws
>rusted shut
>less than 2cm of space between the screws attaching the bars and the brackets they're mounted in

I have tried using oversized screwdrivers, a socket wrench, needlenose pliers, brute strength, and prayer.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions as to how I can get these fucking bars off without compromising the integrity of the window frame? Terribly quality pic highly fucking related, it's the nightmare I'm dealing with.

>> No.482438

>>482437
three stories*

this is what happens when I start threads at nearly 3AM. I'm going the hell to bed and checking back on this thread in the morning.

>> No.482442
File: 230 KB, 1484x1113, SunfishRacing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A disc grinder, a saws-all and/or a hacksaw is all you need, OP.

>> No.482443

dude you're the dumbass. your "landlady" put those there to help keep you and your shit safe. it is most likely a violation of your lease (and just plain shitty to her) to remove the bars without her permission. you ought to get permission from her to install them.

that said, if you really want them off, you're going to have to grind off the heads of the screws or drill them out.

keep the bars and reinstall when you're leaving. i shouldnt have to tell you that the whole point of those things is that they are difficult to remove from the outside.

>> No.482445

I use a cold chisel and hammer to cut off rusted or stripped screws.

>> No.482447

>>482437
Oil the corroded parts and let it seep in for a bit.

Also, you don't think she'd notice them missing?

>> No.482448

Lied and still haven't gone to sleep.

>>482442
My last resort, but thank you for the suggestion.

>>482443
I already got permission from her to remove the bars. I am three stories above ground and there has not been a robbery in our neighborhood in years. They were a safety precaution from tenants about 30 years ago. She said it's fine for me to remove them, she just wants me to return them to her and not damage the window's and wall's structure, obviously.

>grind off the heads of the screws or drill them out
Figured as much. Pain in the ass. I'm trying to remove the bars from the inside but they're a pain regardless, well aware that they're meant to be difficult to remove.

>>482445
Will probably employ in combination with >>482447

I asked permission from her over a week ago to remove the bars, of course she'd notice they're missing. Never meant to imply that she was unaware of me making changes to the house. Just pissed off that I have to go another night without a/c when it's sitting right here next to me.

>> No.482463

>>482437

Not quite related to your question, but depending upon where you live, those might be a fire code violation.

In most place in the US for instance you need to have a quick release from the inside for at least one window per bedroom.

>> No.482501

Why not place the unit on the inside of the window and use a framework of wood and tarp to route the air