[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 7 KB, 559x309, Envelope.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
481690 No.481690 [Reply] [Original]

How do you send letters overseas from the USA? I just realized I have no fucking idea how. Like I want to send a letter to someone I know in the Philippines with a small trinket inside it how the fuck would I do this and how much does it cost.

>> No.481693

Step 1: Write the address on the front of the envelope.
Step 2: Write "Philippines" under the address.
Step 3: Write "Sender" followed by your address on the back.
Step 4: Take to the post office and say "I'd like to send this to the Philippines please".
Step 5: Pay the requested amount.

>> No.481695

>>481693
I have to take it to a post office? I can't buy a stamp and put it in the mailbox?

>> No.481696

>>481695
>I have to take it to a post office? I can't buy a stamp and put it in the mailbox?

Yes.

>> No.481697

>>481696
no wonder nobody sends letters anymore

>> No.481699

>>481697
>Now That's What I Cause Autism: 51

>> No.481703

Address it (preferably in ALL UPPER CASE) including country.
Add $1.10 postage (too much is fine, so three first-class stamps will work)
Mail it

>> No.481709

>>481703
So I don't need to go to a post office then?

>> No.481719

>>481709
You have to fill out a customs form, so yes you do.

>> No.481757

Fill out the envelope like normal , make sure the adress is as your friend gave it to you, go to post office and tell nice post office clerk to please send it , they will then pat you down and fist you repeatedly until you realize that you like it

>> No.481759

>>481703
All upper case that is retarded cite your sources

>> No.481761

>>481719
That's bullshit

I've mailed cards to relatives in the Philippines, and all you need is a few stamps

>> No.481762

>>481709
You can just put it in your mailbox as long as you put enough stamps on it and address it properly.

>> No.481775

The problem most people have with international mail (and what OP will probably face) is not knowing the correct postage to put on the envelope. You can go over the postage, but if you go under, the letter will go right into the trash.

As far as UPPERCASE goes, it's purely for the ease of OCR. The clearer and easier it is to read, the more likely it'll get to the right place.

>> No.481778

>>481775
And that's why people go to the post office. So they can get an authoritative and correct reply on how to send mail instead of all the bullshit conjectures posted on a random message board.

>> No.481796

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10355

use the postal service's postage calculator. with enough postage it will arrive, but to be sure you ought to just take it to the post office to make sure you've got enough postage.

if you know the size and weight of the envelope / package you can calculate the cost of shipping online. however, if its like $7 postage, thats like....16 stamps...

>> No.481803

Anything that isn't a document requires a CN 22 customs declaration.

You can just throw some stamps on something and it'll probably actually get there unmolested, but be aware that you may face seizure and fines if the officials are actually doing their jobs that day.

>> No.481804

It's easier to go to the post office because he will print out the postage in the correct amount instead of plastering it with stamps. He will also weigh it. If you have an item you may have to fill out a customs form, it it's just paper then you won't.

>> No.481846

If your mail piece weighs less than 13 oz you do not need a customs form, nor do you need to take it to the post office in person. Put the proper postage and address on it and write "AIRMAIL" in red letters on the front of the envelope.

>> No.481849

>>481695
Have you ever went to a post office before? The rates are different depending on which location you're sending it to and the weight of the contents you're mailing. Just ask the clerk at the post office and he/she would help you out.

>> No.481881

>>481846

Still requires a customs form if it's not a document.

13oz is just the limit for items accepted in a drop box.

>> No.481901

>>481775
What? The letter just gets sent back with 'incorrect postage' stamped on it.

Do any of you guys replying ever actually send mail overseas?

OP, just put an international stamp on it and put it in an envelope (regular sized). Write the address clearly on the front, make sure to write Phillipines. On the back write the return-address and then put a big cross through it. Put it in your mailbox.
It's not that hard.... assuming it's not super heavy it'll get there fine. If it is it'll come back for more postage.

>> No.482073

>>481901
>put a big cross through it
why?

>> No.482159

I only ever send packages overseas (because email) so I always end u taking it to the post office so they can weigh it and stuff. Also the post office is like 3 blocks from my house.

>> No.482167

Just go to the post office, you basement dweller.

>> No.482169

>>481759
>All upper case that is retarded cite your sources
http://faq.usps.com/adaptivedesktop/faq.jsp?ef=USPSFAQ