[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 62 KB, 503x637, C4FPTv7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
471370 No.471370 [Reply] [Original]

alright /diy/, what are some god-tier trades to get into? mechanic, electrician, HVAC, or what? i'm tired of dead end jobs and need something else.

>> No.471393

>>471370
Bump for interest.

>> No.471398

>>471370
Also bumping for interest.

>> No.471409

>>471370

Trade jobs are "dead end jobs". You don't get promoted, you do what you do for the rest of your life. There is only the job, no further road to trade down. Its a dead end. The pay can be okay to good, but you wont be making 6 figures either. From what I'm inferring its not the lack of promotion thats bothering you, but the lack of accomplishment.

For example: Stocking shelves is a thankless, never ending dead end job. Making custom cabinets can be a very rewarding dead end job. Moping floors, thanks less. Fixing cars, rewarding. I guess it all depends on your mindset though.

My advice, find a job that makes you a lot of money, that you can stand doing for a career and gives you enough cash and free time to do what you really love on the side. Don't do what you love unless you KNOW that its something you can do for 40 hours a week for the rest of your life. It would suck to get your dream job only for it to turn to ash in your mouth.

>> No.471414

Trades are not dead end jobs in the slightest. the skills acquired help in countless ways outside work and once the trade is learned the most often taken route is personal business for oneself.
pick the right trade tho as some are dead end or soon to be dying.
pipefitters and millwrights seem most in demand in my area and starting wages are in the $40 area

>> No.471454

>>471414

Dead end job: A dead end job is a job in which there is little or no chance of progressing and succeeding into a higher paid position.

> the skills acquired help in countless ways outside work

Which has nothing to do with it being a dead end job. Being a line cook can be very useful outside of work but its still a dead end job.

>> No.471758

Depends on what you enjoy...

I'm a contractor/carpenter and am self-employed. I make over 6 figures a year and no, the trades are not dead but they are not easy. Most people do not have the drive/work ethic to make it in the business thats why people think its dying. You can easily make a good living as an electrician. HVAC can depend on your area.. I personally don't like touching it or electical, but I've subcontracted enough to know they make some damn good money.

>> No.472126

>>471409
>>471758
Hmm. Thank your for the input. I guess I don't see a job as defining as most people do. The only jobs I work are ones I actually enjoy.

>> No.472128

>>471758
At the moment I am a landscaper and would have no problem starting my own business doing so (paver patios, irrigation, etc) however it seems like there is more work as an OWNER than being an employee.

However, that being said, being the operator is the way to make the big bucks.

>> No.472132

>>471370

Mathematics.

>> No.472210

I'm always a little envious of the electricians I work with. They come into jobs as subs with their neat little bags full of clean screw drivers, do their work, and bounce. I continue to carry demo'd cement away in tearing bags.

I'm considering an inexpensive but thorough 6 month welding class... trades are cool and the work can feel good but I hate the feeling I get when I'm putting tile down in some assholes basement and I realize the 50 year old guy I'm working with has been doing this forever. One bathroom at a time.

>> No.472228

>>472210
+1

I jumped out in young and saw the same thing which made me change my track. Learned enough to get myself into trouble and started out on my own. I still don't 'love' it.. it's just hard to find something that's going to pay what I am used to now.. =\