[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 42 KB, 640x578, 20110117_152702_storage-unit-01_l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
464367 No.464367[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I am getting thrown out of my parents house in a few months.

And I'm looking at the cheapest means of living homeless.
I've been thinking of getting a gym membership for showering and recreation.
And moving my clothes and bookcases and other things into a storage unit for regular access.

I can sleep in my car and I know how to cook over a barrel fire/hotplate.
I have a low paying part time job but by that time I should have about 3k in savings.
I've got a friend willing to receive my mail for me so I don't have to pay for a PO Box.

Is my plan plausible?

>> No.464369

a cheap apartment and one or two roommates would cost about the same as a storage unit and gym membership

>> No.464380

>>464369

I live in New Jersey so thats simply untrue.
I also can not risk signing a lease when my life is subject to radical change in the next year or two.

>> No.464385

sell all your shit apply for hobs in a city thats not shit tier new york /new jersey area with your 3k you can easily relocate anywhere south florida/georgia/ or even boston or viriginia

>> No.464415

What exactly did you do to get thrown out? Seems to me you'd be better off kissing your parents ass for a bit until you can afford to move out. And not into a storage unit.

>> No.464427

>>464415
i swiggi swagged my mumms wag wumms mostfet md5# collection

>> No.464429

>>464367

With a low paying job you can rent a room with a roommate. Let him/her sign the lease, and just live with him.

Same story, no money, no job though. Shit idea to live outside. Camping is fun for couple of days, but when it gets shitty and cold you might get fucked up.

Sucks to be town out. I left my home when I turned 14.

>> No.464431

>>464380
You don't have any friends that got a couch or an extra space for you? "In a few months", The fuck... if your being kicked out in MONTHS and you can't find some living arrangement you should fucking kill yourself

>> No.464442
File: 147 KB, 450x270, WhatOPthinksIsHappening.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>464367
Being thrown out tends to be of immediate concern. This sounds like your parents talked with you and gave you ample opportunity to transition into supporting yourself and seeing as you did not specify the amount of months they likely gave you some leeway in moving out in hopes that you would not go with a harebrained scheme. Stop being such a fignuts and rent a room.

>> No.464443

>>464367
Van off a goverment liqudeation website. Get a electric cooler. Get solar panels. Live in said van.
IF you need just a shower, look into getting a camping on. your in joyse. I've gotton a van from a goverment liqudation site. I'm in joyse myself. it's possible. Got a 1992 plymoth voyager for 400$ from govdeals.com. it ran.

>> No.464461

sell your car, get a bus ticket to North Dakota, get a shit job, get a shit apartment/room.

And take this shit to /adv/ or /r9k/

>> No.464633

>>464443
holy shit this is rad

>> No.464635

>>464367
How about you stop doing whatever it is that's pissing off your parents so much that they feel the need to throw you out so you don't get thrown out?

>> No.464711

>>464443
This is true. You can actually get some sweet shit from Gov. Liquidations. Campers, cars, vans, etc.

>> No.464724

OP here. Alright I may have over simplified/made some shit up for the sake of not typing up a wall of text.
But because a couple judgmental assholes Heres the full story.

I am not being thrown out. This is a choice.
I am quitting my soul crushing Full time Job in August to focus on education in horticulture.
In order to not be a burden to my family plan on moving out. this is a choice. I'm not being thrown out.

I will be getting a part time job (I'm already looking) and doing side work like money for scrap metal in my free time on self education and some community college classes and a few free ones I know of at the Brooklyn Botanical gardens. My current job keeps me from expanding on what I know time wise and emotional energy wise. I -really- hate my job and am burned out in the few hours I'm actually home.

I hope to put enough money aside in the the next year to three to buy land down south and start a small farm.

I've considered and looked for work as farmhand but I worry that because of a severe ankle injury I sustained 2 years ago that causes me great pain. I limp a lot of the time.

>> No.464725

>>464443

OP again. Thats an excellent idea.
Browsing now.

>> No.464737

ur answer is in your photo. it is possible to live in a storage unit. its cheap to. u might even be able to find one with power(yes there are units with power in them.

>> No.464742

>>464737

I'd rather not risk getting busted and thrown out on my ass. Many places have a policy of no living in the unit.

>> No.464750

>>464385
Georgia here. No jobs here, even for the college educated.

>> No.464914
File: 87 KB, 650x433, 110.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Looking at school bus Conversions now.

Has anyone on /diy/ done something like this?
This would work perfectly with what I'm doing.

I could buy a patch of land to work and live one too and because a bus is not a hosue my property taxes would be next to nothing.
Assuming I get the fuck out of Jersey that is.

Hm. This might work. Thanks anon.

>> No.464927

>>464914
Again, it would be much cheaper to rent a cheap apartment with 2 or 3 roommates than trying to set up a situation like in that pic.

>> No.464936

>>464914
And, legally, you need a special driver's liscense to operate a vehicle over 16000 pounds. Atleast, you do in Indianaland.

>> No.464982

>>464750
True dat, I had a job as a farm worker fall into my lap this summer (after an entire year of continuous applying) and i jumped at the opportunity. Godspeed fellow georgia bro.

>> No.465010

>>464750
>>464982
Yep, nothing at all. College degree and 20+ years in the fields can't even get you in at Burger King.

>> No.465022

what's with you kids today? my parents didn't have to throw me out, I was supporting myself when I was 15.

>> No.465024

>>465022

Back then there were jobs.
That, and people trained on the job. Now, you need to have experience. Thing is, good luck getting it if you don't have it already.

>> No.465027

>>464750
>Georgia here. No jobs here, even for the college educated.

why would you want a "job" when you could be working for yourself didn't your daddy teach you nuthin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg

>> No.465035

Totally do-able, I say go for it.

Check this out, this guy lived in a tree for years and paid off all his debt:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1a8sjz/hi_i_am_a_guy_who_lived_in_a_tree_on_public_land/

>> No.465036

>>465024
Theres still plenty of jobs just not always the ones you might want.

Also op bad practice to lie initially to people you claim to want help from even if it IS 4chan. That said I get not wanting to be a burden to your family while you hopefully build up the funds for a major event in your life.

Still you should ask your family how they feel about things.

if they understand whats going on in your brain
They might be like hey op don't be a fucktard let us help you or they might be like hey thats cool that you want to do this on your own good luck and we will be here if you need help... Thing is you won't know unless you talk with them. So I would really advise you do that before looking into living in vans buses or storage units etc.

I have friends who lived in cars while in between government housing the cops harass you its cramped smelly extreme temperatures It really should be a last resort Please see what other options you have And best of luck.

Ps sorry for my rambling wall of text Its late here.

>> No.465037

>>465022
>you kids today? my parents didn't have to throw me out, I was supporting myself when I wa

your full of shit, Life aint that easy

>> No.465050

>>465037
are you handicapped or something? why do you think life is so hard?

>> No.465067

On the subject but not an answer

my dad booted me out when he found out I joined the national guard while I was in my Jr year of high school, luckily though I had a job at taco bell and some money saved up and was able to get my own place and work my way through high school.

Looking back on it I cannot believe how under standing my school was, they threw me into a work program and I was able to work two part time jobs and go to school until I graduated in 08, I still send flowers to my old alg teacher on mothers day, she fucking helped me out more than anyone else.

I guess what i'm trying to say is if a dumb ass teen can work 50 to 60 hours a week and still go to school then still have time for drill(1weekend a month) you can too, there is no reason what do ever why you wouldn't be able to get a cheap ass apartment and pick up more hours at work.

>> No.465094

>Be student.
>Get pell grant. Pay for school, other things.
>Sleep between/before/after classes while lounges open.
>Stay up all night staying out of cold studying in 24hr coffee shop.
>Get shower/food/toiletries/full night's rest at youth homeless shelter.

That's how I did it. And to be honest, I loved that life.

>> No.465124

>>465094

it's great until you want to get a girlfriend. she's gonna want to see your place after a while, and then you have to tell her you are a homeless poorbro. that doesn't go over well.

>> No.465202

>>464724
>I am not being thrown out. This is a choice.
>I am quitting my soul crushing Full time Job in August to focus on education in horticulture.
>In order to not be a burden to my family plan on moving out. this is a choice. I'm not being thrown out.

In short: I think you're being an idiot about this.
>education in horticulture
WTF is that all about? Can you actually make a living at that without having a PhD?
>quitting my full-time job
*facepalm*

It really sounds like you're making some poor choices here, and it's going to bite you in the ass.

>> No.465203

>>465202
>horticulture
So you're going to go learn how to grow marijuana?

>> No.465238

First, kudos for being pro-active! I like the can-do attitude. From my experience with unemployment and homeless people, I would advise against it. Even if you live in a shed or a small 10x8 trailer. Having a "Home" and being self-reliant is crucial to your mental state as both a human and especially as a guy. No I don't go in for all the Psyke crap, but I can tell you, staving off depression and a general feeling of dependency can wear on you over time. I would recomend very small place (and use similar tricks to live cheap) and keep looking for better job. Good Luck, I'll pray for you. (Yeah, I'm a christian, it happens) :-)

>> No.465385 [DELETED] 

>>465124

I have a girlfriend.
And Shes been incredibly supportive.

Yeah. Shes kind of amazing. Be jealous.

>>465238
Aye. I see what you mean. The Bus/Van idea is looking like the best option. I also have the option of buying a worn to shit trailer off a family member. Considering that.

>>465202
>WTF is that all about? Can you actually make a living at that without having a PhD?

Ultimately I want to start a small farm and live as interdependently as possible. I'm not terribly worried about "making a living" quite yet.

>> No.465386 [DELETED] 

>>465124

I have a girlfriend.
And Shes been incredibly supportive.

Yeah. Shes kind of amazing. Be jealous.

>>465238
Aye. I see what you mean. The Bus/Van idea is looking like the best option. I also have the option of buying a worn to shit trailer off a family member. Considering that.

>>465202
>WTF is that all about? Can you actually make a living at that without having a PhD?

Ultimately I want to start a small farm and live as independently as possible. I'm not terribly worried about "making a living" quite yet.

>> No.465408

>>464367
>thrown out
a few months notice is nice
>gym membership
you've gotten quite addicted to the fast life, gyms are expensive
>bookcases
donate all your books to a library and read them there
>friend willing to receive my mail for me
i would try to go the no address path as much as possible
>part time job
look for full time

>> No.465414

>>464724
>couple judgmental assholes
confirmed for pissy teenager
>soul crushing Full time Job
definately confirmed for pissy teenager
holy shit a full time job? welcome to america bitch try working as a mechanic, life sucks at $12/hr but i get by, having lots of good friends helps you make it through the hard times, few good friends at work lotta assholes just gotta focus on the positives

work your job and save some money you whiny bitch
i would recommend a skilled trade or a degree or youre gonna be on that $12/hr min wage forever

>> No.465416

>>464914
OP is delusional
have fun trying to get a CDL for that bus
have even more fun trying to live in a shitty old schoolbus with 300k+ miles and constant mechanical problems (very expensive) while getting gallons to the mile

>> No.465474

>>465416

Who the fuck said I'd actually be driving it?
The idea of living in a bus is that because its not an actual building property taxes won't go up.

>>465414
I'm 23. I have training in a trade. I'm an IT guy.
I don't hate my job not because its actual work.
If I was actually afraid of hard work why on earth would I be interested in Farming?

I hate it because its unbelievably monotonous and the company I work for is increasingly restrictive and unethical to its employees.

On top of that my political and social ideology have shifted massively in the last two years and thats part of me wanting to leave my current job for farming.
I won't go further into detail because thats not the point of this thread

I am miserable sitting at my desk. But at my happiest covered in dirt and sweat in my garden. I'm pursuing something I love but I lack resources.

>> No.465518

>>465474
sorry OP i didn't mean to be such an asshole i was in a bad mood haha

> But at my happiest covered in dirt and sweat in my garden.
that will go away fast if it is how you make a living, didn't you feel the same way about IT when you started?

farming is a good hobby, but not a practical job
you can live on a farm, in a bus, and still be an IT guy, gotta get the bills paid.
plus medical, dental, etc, what, are you never ever going to get hurt doing the most intense physical labor till the day you die?
plus just daily expenses like toilet paper, food that tastes good, water, electricity, etc
being amish sucks youre gonna want lights at night without burning your bus down with candles

surviving as a modern farmer is impossible by growing crops
my farmer buddies get their bills paid by landscaping, parting out trucks, and selling hay here and there to rich folks with horses

>> No.465519

>>465474
i would recommend an internship at a farm
look online
youll love it for the first week or two, maybe even a month
then youre gonna fuckin hate it

>> No.465535

>>465518
>didn't you feel the same way about IT when you started?

No actually. I used to do a ton of PC gaming so I already knew a ton of tech stuff.
Did it because It was easy. Not because I liked it.

Solar panels and basic electrical wiring are things I already know how to do. (IT guy, remember?)
and Rainwater/lake purification seems like an option spending on the location. Or possibly digging a well.

Buy you're right making a living would be difficult.
I am confident that given enough time to learn and the right amount of resources I could pull off a
fairly successful productive farm.

But until then I can't expect to make much of a living, eh? Not to start anyway.

I've spoken to my family about this since the thread creation and they don't seem to understand entirely but are willing to help me out so Its looking like they want me to stay and figure out my options.
So thats good news.