[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 37 KB, 600x469, opus-shelving_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
460649 No.460649 [Reply] [Original]

Wondering if anyone would be able to show me how to go about building this "Opus Shelving" style bookshelf/storage. Hoping to do this for less than 450 which is what it costs to buy straight up. Thanks in advance /diy/

>> No.460654

>>460649

I'm not generally to give smartass answers, but...

Seriously. Look up how to use an angle gauge, a miter saw, and a brad nailer/stapler.

>> No.460726

>>460649
>2d drawing
>dissect angles
>start replicating

>> No.460745

How useful would this be as an actual bookshelf?

It seems troublesome.

>> No.460756

>>460649
>Hoping to do this for less than 450 which is what it costs to buy straight up.
That should be easily doable in terms of materials costs (like by a factor of 2 or 3) but what kind of tools do you have dude? If you need to buy much in the way of tools, while they'll be very worth it for future projects they'll blow your current budget.

The one thing I think you absolutely have to get is a good mitre saw, I can't remember what they cost but I think it's maybe half of what you're hoping to spend. You could saw by hand with proper marking and the right saw, but without experience your cuts are unlikely to be accurate enough to make a good job of it.

In terms of construction details, this is a nightmare of angles. I would strongly recommend looking for plans for similar online (you might get lucky) but failing that plan it out on paper first and work from there. No way you're going to wing this and get it right unless you want it to look like a Neanderthal built it.

>>460745
>How useful would this be as an actual bookshelf?
Surprisingly good. Irregular bookshelves like this actually stack books reasonably well, although some books do get irregular pressure applied to them so it's not as good as regular shelving.

>> No.460763

>>460649
Do a mockup in sketchup, then you can work out all the angles ahead of time and have a cut
list ready for when you go get the wood. should be easy to make.

To give you an idea, i could make this out of 6"x3/4" oak board for about 60 bucks or less,
but you will need decent hand tool skills to pull this off... or a good miter saw.

>> No.460795

>>460654
Thank you for your input. The reason I came to the DIY section was because I don't know much about these sorts of things.
>>460756
Thank you so much.. actually I have a family member that has many many tools and such but i wish not to bother him with my project but i'm sure he will lend me whatever i need.
>>460763
This is great! I love this forum. I'm a total beginner and I guess this is not the best thing to try but i'm in love with the shelf. I'll check out all the suggestions!

>> No.460809
File: 86 KB, 650x294, ht_BuildaWalkwaywithaPrecastMold_hero-image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>460649
Wait,.....bookshelf?

>> No.460887
File: 4 KB, 222x211, 1357949490704.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How would you glue it? There aren't many right angles to distribute the appropriate clamping force.

>> No.460890

>>460756
if you weren't retarded, you could use a simple hand saw with a guide and cut this entire thing out. all thats left is to sand down the angled cuts and then paint

>> No.460892

>>460887

I'm guessing biscuits or dovetails at the joints.
That thing would be a nightmare to assemble otherwise.

>> No.460949

>>460890
Of course it's possible to cut this by hand, but I was talking to the OP who evidently doesn't have much experience in woodworking.

Even with experience it's nowhere near as easy as your one-sentence description makes it sound, leaving out any consideration of important details of construction such as whether/how to reinforce the double-mitre joins at each intersection, and form tenons on the pieces that link with the box.

So Mr. I'm Not Retarded, want to tell us all how you'd cut those angled tenons accurately by hand, and cut the corresponding mortises, using just an unspecified hand saw and sandpaper? We're all ears.

>> No.460950

I was just looking at high-res pics of these which have some details that made me look up the materials, you guys realise the originals aren't made of wood/ply/MDF at all? They're injection-moulded plastic!