[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 18 KB, 500x375, Make-A-Homemade-TrumpetBugle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
46010 No.46010 [Reply] [Original]

hello all /diy/'ers out there. You are the perfect place for me to go for this request.

I have an assignment:
The Goal is to make an instrument that can produce an interesting sound-
Being in tune or "sounding good" is far less important than that the instrument just makes a noise that is out of the ordinary.
It also has to be created in under 24 hours.

any ideas out there?

(pic somewhat related)

>> No.46037

>homework assignment
>diy is stupid enough to do it for me

meh.

>> No.46049

>>46037

>homework assignment: no
> diy: geniuses

you: meh.

>> No.46059

>>46049
>homework assignment: no
> diy: fags

fix'd

>> No.46074

Hubcap banjo

>> No.46075
File: 333 KB, 1200x1182, verre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

<- this. Hit it with a spoon.
Also many glasses -> many notes
/thread

>> No.46085

At least provide ideas I suppose.
I thought of hooking up a portable vacuum (it's quieter) up to a line of clips that would the reeds of the instrument. The clips would be adjustable because yoy would use whatever you can find as reeds, whether they be leaves, grass, paper, plastic or whatever.

The instrument would be fun with the different pitches and harmonies you could create and there's also the adventure of finding a new material to play with

>> No.46131

go to bart hopkins' site. he's been writing about/collecting experimental musical instruments for 40 years. there's a massive archive available

http://windworld.com/

>> No.46136

Make a motherfucking theramin! Bro, whilst everybody else will have some gay as shit fucking rubber bands in margarine tubs you'll have a fucking theramin!

>> No.46137
File: 45 KB, 500x332, 17.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this.

>> No.46141
File: 31 KB, 400x400, thumb_piano_step8_1010-lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/step-by-step-guides-offbeat-diy-projec
ts-3

>> No.46149

>>46136
Not OP but since I've seen this board I've been thinking of building a theremin. You have any advice on this? I guess I should start by refreshing my memory on basic electronics, learning to read a diagram.

>> No.46183

>>46149
>>46149
easy mode is a photoelectric sensor and a lightbulb above it. it doesn't work the same way but would have a similar sound

>> No.46190

>>46183
Would A traditional one be a bit too much for a beginner to tackle?

>> No.46206

Do you go to Earl Haig?

>> No.46208

pvc tubing
cork
knife or different size drill bits
PVC flute ftw!
They actually sound pretty damn good. I heard that a major recording artist records with them.

You can find the correct hole spacing online for different keys and lengths of pvc.

>> No.46220
File: 84 KB, 500x375, 1320171043660 copya.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry OP, I couldn't resist.

>> No.46240
File: 295 KB, 1315x1017, theramin schematic.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Build a Theramin.

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~rth/EMTheremin.pdf

>> No.46293

Check out Linsey Pollak´s youtube channel. He has all sort of homemade instruments, like carrot clarinet, Mr. Curly the carden hose contra bass clarinet and a rubberglove bagpipe.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SquealyD

>> No.46320

>>46293
Holy shit, this guy.

http://linseypollak.com/wordpress/?page_id=117

Is it just me or does anything with a sax mouthpiece in it sound good? I need to make some of these.

>> No.46323
File: 41 KB, 408x230, flute.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can make a nice flute out of bamboo in less than an hour with a good knife and a drill. I would recommend an end-blown flute. They can be difficult to learn how to play, but they are simpler to craft. Pic related; an end-blown flute I made a couple years ago. Plays beautifully.

>> No.46340 [DELETED] 

Prepare your anuses!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

>> No.46351

>>46320
Saxes never sound good.

>> No.46376

>>46351

Pink Floyd - Gunner's Dream

>> No.46390

best thing would be to get something done with rapid movement against some glasswork. something like a motorised opject with a piece of rubber at the end thats slapping against a glass. if you want to get crazy you can let it hit 2 different glasses at the same time while the glasses have a different waterlevel within them

>> No.46403

>>46390
What if you had a rotating table and used it to space out glasses and had a spoon or something braced to plink them as they make rounds? It would be like a large, clumsy music box. You would have to "program" it beforehand by planning the tuning/spacing of glasses, but it could be interesting.

>> No.46418

>>46376
Nope.

>> No.46424
File: 109 KB, 583x619, Kalimba.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made this kalimba. I used oak and materials from ACE hardware. The metal strip tines are from used car windshield wipers. Its really simple to make. Mine has a sound box, but you can make them so they are just on a flat board. It sounds amazing, but puts me right to sleep trying to play it.

Other names,

mbira
thumb piano

>> No.46460

>>46323
It's funny, I'm actually searching for a Limbi/Limbe Mongolian transverse flute, and as I can't find any, I wondered if it could be as easy as it seems to make one, and if /diy/ knew about it.

Well, I'm going to do it myself then.

>> No.46471

>>46010

pic kind of reminds me of the blue man group

they make awesome drums and pracusion instruments out of PVC piping

>> No.46573

>>46424
I love these things.. I'll have to look into making one, thanks.

>> No.46581

You can make a didgeridoo out of PVC piping and wax for a mouth piece.

I made one, it sounds great but I can't get the damn breathing right.

>> No.46586

>>46581

I forgot to add, but you have to cut the pipe to specific lengths for a note. Otherwise it wont be tuned.

>> No.46993

>>46581
I have 2. One I bought that is really long and uses thing conduit pipe and sound very deep. The other I made out of a piece of thick walled PVC just as an experiment. I used boiling water to soften and form the mouth piece and end similar to how the one I bought was made. It think they used a heat gun though. Those conduit pipes are expensive so I never got around to making a bunch like I'd planned.

>> No.47216

Look up circuit bending. Cheap, easy, fun as hell and will give you all sorts of crazy sounds. Make sure you find something with open wires. Too many knobs and switches make look cool, but take all the fun out of creating sounds.

>> No.47438

1) Get thickish piece of wood
2) Cut into vaguely oval shape
3) round edges a bit
4) drill hole in one end of the oval
5) tie string (TIGHTLY) around hole
6) swing around head fast in open area to make a scary whering that changes pitch depending on how fast and hard you swing it. :)

Note: this is a aborigine instrument

>> No.47447

A few nylon strings, some nails and wood and you have a piano

>> No.47454

balloon bass

>> No.47476

>>46010
make a speaker out of a piece of paper and coiled wire and hook it up to an ipod. WOW your friends. (simply place the coils of wire on each side and let the vibrations play music through the sheet of paper.

>> No.47479

make a didjeridoo out of pvc piping from the hardware store.