[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 43 KB, 500x375, tumblr_luqfx4d4n21r0o04co1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
457535 No.457535 [Reply] [Original]

I've done some basic arduino programming, and lots of normal programming.

I have an idea for a project, that I feel is just slightly over my head (in the good learning way). The only thing I see as a problem is the power source. Anyway let me explain the project and someone tell me what im doing wrong before I start.

Features:
4x RGB leds
Accelerometer
Some low power Microprocessor, will use an arduino for testing, eventually would like to hit a "production" state even if im the only one with the finished product.

Small powersource (single AA or some "higer powered" Lithium AA)

And i would like this microprocessor to be programmable after "production"

Power Goal:
Want the device to last 5-10 hours.

The Concept:
Every seen those neat LED glow sticks at parties? People swing them around and they change colors and cool patterns and such.

Thats my idea, but on steroids, i want to make a programmable LED glowstick, with RGB leds. The accelerometer would change light patterns and colors based on how fast the object is being spun around. And if possible change patterns based on the angle of the device.

Here is the accelerometer im currently looking at
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1247

>> No.457539

sounds like it would work fine, go for it.

>> No.457544

There are loads of persistence of vision projects that are basically that.

http://hackaday.com/?s=pov

>> No.457549

For the microprocessor in the production phase, the easiest would be to just buy the atmega328, upload code from your arduino and solder it on a perfboard, they start at like $4.

If I remember correctly you are looking at 25mA to run the arduino at 5V, so add LED's of your brightness and you'll know what batteries suit you

>> No.457562

>>457549
how do I keep it programmable? micro "droid" USB? would that be possible?
might make it use two AAs and stack them on each other for more life? would a 5/11g accelerometer be plenty?

>> No.457567

>>457562
Use the AVR ISP interface, and use the Arduino as a programmer.

>> No.457592

MSP430 for low voltage, ultra-low power

>> No.457617

>>457592
and not overpriced as fuck like atmega
you'll probably need step up transistors to run leds off the gpio pins though

>> No.457640

>>457592
Damn love the form factor
Are there any "arduino" style prototyping boards for this chip?

>> No.457657
File: 201 KB, 1632x1224, ir seq1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

$10

http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/msp430_head.html

>> No.457659
File: 219 KB, 930x666, launchpad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>457640
One worthy of note. For programming you could just use a dip socket and pop it out, or you could just use the launchpad as is, still cheaper than an avr.
The dip versions only have like 10 gpio pins so you might need an encoder if you want high resolution.

>> No.457726

>>457659
that's cool really cool
I'm fine with prototyping on my arduino

that looks like a nifty processor for production if I ever hit that phase

checked RadioShack for accelerometers today..... $40 for a 2axis +-3g ..... I can get a 3 axis +-5/10g online for 11 breakout and everything

wish I knew more about accelerometers don't know how many g's will be pulled from a spinning light toy as in my OP picture