[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 183 KB, 512x384, 1367914399283.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
449955 No.449955 [Reply] [Original]

I asked /O/ but they're useless.

I'm looking at picking this '76 F150 for somewhere around 1,000-1,500$. Apparently it's sat for the last ten years

The owner says that the heater box needs replacing, that there's a leak in the power steering, and the carb will need adjusting or replace.

I always wanted a 76 F150. And this is the only one in months to pop up in my area (Virginia).

Is this worth it?

>> No.449973

Yea. Cut out the heater core and plug the tube ends. Get a power steering gasket kit, and adjust the carb. Offer him 825 cash (all you got on you) or a check for 1000.

>> No.449984

if its sat for 10 years then it'll have a few more leaks spring up as you drive it, 1k isn't bad, they're great trucks

>> No.449996

If you do not plan on rebuilding the motor right away I would NOT try to crank it
I would turn it over by hand to make sure its not locked up, and if it does trailer it home

You will need to drop the gas tank and thoroughly clean it and the lines because gas turns to gel, also you need to change the oil

oil drains to the bottom and the bearings will be dry, running it like that with horrid oil can throw out a bearing not to mention all the rust that may have accumulated

you need to squirt some oil in the spark plug holes and turn it over by hand, it helps your rings out

Just be careful with it

>> No.450000

>>449996
>oil drains to the bottom and the bearings will be dry, running it like that with horrid oil can throw out a bearing not to mention all the rust that may have accumulated

I should have noted, you will want to fill the motor COMPLETELY with oil, turn it by hand let it sit for a few days, then drain the oil

That will help lubricate things and somewhat clean things
Drain and fill with clean oil to the correct level before you fire it

>> No.450025

How are the tires and other perishables?

>> No.450034

>>450000
nice quads.
diesel works well for this too. I hear guys take out the plugs, fill each piston with diesel, crank around by hand, let it sit, do it again.

>> No.450313

that is a good price if it runs and is rust free.

>> No.450852

Did you buy it OP?

>> No.450879

If it's been sitting for more than a weeks then the battery is dead, as well as the e-brake & brakes rusted. You'll need to replace the pads, rotors, calipers, and most likely some parts of the linings.

>> No.450885

>>450879
Batteries last far longer than that, a few months at least. Unless the truck was parked in salt water, those parts should be fine.

>> No.451012

>>450852
Going tomorrows To look At it

>> No.451030

nice trip dubs.

Also, yeah. Take it. Getting parts will vary from rarer than rocking-horse shit to 'why cant i hold all these F150'. It would be a great weekend to put time into as well. And just look at this beast. Chuck a matress in the back when its a nice night and just fuck off to go star gazing. You found a good winner there.

>> No.451483

>>451012
if you buy it, post pics!

>> No.451763

i would say that with a body that good (trim is there, glass is there, looks straight, dont see rust) its worth $1,500 even if the engine is blown.

grats man i love those things

>> No.451774

>>451030
The F150 didn't go through major changes until the 90s, and there's still a decent amount of crossfit. It's also one, if not the, most mass produced truck on the road. I don't think finding parts will be a problem.

>> No.452008
File: 91 KB, 455x684, 1359503102597.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw /diy/ knows more about cars than /o/
>tfw /o/ doesn't care about any vehicle except "miats"

>> No.452072

>>451030
There will be nothing hard to find for that truck. Nothing.

>> No.452175

I would NOT fill up the engine with all kinds of extra motor oil. Do what the one guy said by pulling the plugs and putting diesel on top of the pistons. But instead of diesel, use Marvel Mystery Oil.

Also, before you spin the engine to start for the first time, there's a bunch more stuff that needs lubrication other than the main bearings and pistons. You have the entire valve train that needs oil. Pull the distributor, put a 1/4" drive adapter on the end of a long extension and spin the oil pump. You can either use a speed wrench or even better, an electric drill.Just remember to spin it backwards.

>> No.452234

>>452175
>I would NOT fill up the engine with all kinds of extra motor oil.

Why not, Ive never heard of it either but it sounds like a good idea
Itd reduce the chance of dry starting any parts
Spinning the oil pump is a good idea too

>> No.452270

>>452234
why not, because hydrolock that's why not

>> No.452277

>>452270
My name is Hank Hill, and I'm here to talk to you about the dangers of hydrolock...

>> No.452318

>>452270
>filling it with oil
>letting it sit
>draining it
>somehow becomes hydrolocked

No, nobody said to sit and crank it while the oil is quenching the engine