[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 402 KB, 1600x1200, solar cooker 055.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
441619 No.441619 [Reply] [Original]

The plan is to make a simple, homemade solar heat collector. It could be something like a solar cooker or just about anything that uses sunlight to heat up something.

It should be something that can be made from household objects. I've already seen the popular youtube videos about these things but I'd like to do something a bit different if any of you guys have other ideas (or possibly links to sites that have cool ideas). Pic related.

Thanks in advance.

>> No.441620

>>441619
parabolic refraction, best refraction

>> No.441642

>>441620

I know it's awesome when it's done right but I have a feeling that trying to do a truly parabolic cooker with primitive objects like aluminium foil and cardboard would be a disaster. I heard it's difficult without industrial equipment.

>> No.441644
File: 52 KB, 390x293, rear_pro_tv_mirror_and_fresnel_lens_an.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.441649
File: 260 KB, 1600x1200, Solar_Cooking_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>441619
Solar box cooker the reflector the style of Heaven's Flame or the All Season Solar Cooker and very well insulated will be best for heat gathering and retention. One of my old cooker, pictured here, has double glass and high R-value insulation. At its peak it could reach 450F, with nothing inside in about 15 minutes.

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Solar_cooker_plans

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Solar_cooker_designs

>> No.441669

>>441649

Thanks for the help and links. I still have some dumb newb questions.

What's the thing on the lower right picture for? What are the reflective surfaces made of? Would cardboard with aluminium foil on top suffice for such a device? How much would the efficiency of the cooker suffer if you removed the glass?

And can you estimate how much the size of the model in your picture could be reduced if the required peak temperature was only around 200F ?

>> No.441686
File: 371 KB, 2400x3000, mini solar ovenb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>441669
>What's the thing on the lower right picture for?

The smaller box? It is a bread riser. I was using it while setting things up and taking pics. I don't need it when doing 1-2 loaves because I can use the main solar cooker to raise bread when its reflectors are not attached.

>What are the reflective surfaces made of?
>Would cardboard with aluminium foil on top suffice for such a device?

1/4" plywood (luan board) with aluminum foil (shiny side up). I used a mixture of half water and half wood glue to glue the foil to the board. You can also use cardboard. Most of my cookers used cardboard. You can patch pieces of cardboard together with the same glue to make larger panels.

>How much would the efficiency of the cooker suffer if you removed the glass?

It might reach 150F with the glass off. A single pane of glass is prone to wind. A double panes of glass is the best. Make sure to use tempered glass on the inside pane or it will shatter. Without the glass, it would be a simple panel cooker ( http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Solar-Panel-Cooker ).

>And can you estimate how much the size of the model in your picture could be reduced if the required peak temperature was only around 200F?

On a sunny day, just about anything that traps heat with even a single small reflector will get to 200F easily. The more reflector space you have the faster it will get there and the hotter it will be. The more insulation you use the better.

Solar cookers are super simple to make and use. The only slightly difficult part is getting high temps in a short amount of time. When in doubt, add more reflector space and more insulation.

>> No.441709

>>441686
Do you do any other solar-based projects besides ovens?

Interested in practical knowledge of solar water heaters.

>> No.441717
File: 13 KB, 491x382, Passive Solar Thermosiphon Water Heater 04.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>441709
Yes.

It's easy too. If you live in an area where water won't freeze, in the winter, then make a solar batch water heater. If you live in an area where it will freeze then you'll need to insulate it well or use an antifreeze thermosiphon circuit like in this image.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterHeating/water_heating.htm

>> No.441733

>>441642
Aluminum foil on an old tv dish. Worked for me in high school, and made bretty good hotdogs.