[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 173 KB, 620x400, rustoleum_257177[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
436408 No.436408 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/ers I bought a watertight box and it was clear and decided to get some rustoleum matt black spray paint (shoul've got krylon maybe?) and I just touched the paint and it seems to be dry but I got some paint dust (or flakes?) and was wondering how to get rid of that?

>> No.436415

Punctuation helps solve that.

>> No.436426

Why are you painting it black?
What are you using the box for?

>> No.436448

Try to wipe it all clean and start over?

If you are painting into plastic and want it to actually stick, you need plastic-bonding paint (and some luck)

Go back to the hardware store and look for the stuff that says.. "for plastic" or something like that on it. IIRC Rustoleum makes one. They also make a spray primer for plastic that can accept 'any' top coat.

I say you need luck because, well, sometimes it will just fail.

>> No.436588

>>436426
>Why are you painting it black?
he looked inside himself and saw his heart was black?

>> No.436628

>>436448
Do you think he could just sand the plastic to make a rough surface the paint could hold onto?

>> No.436636

>>436408
soak it in acetone. then put a chip bag over the flakes. put it in microwave for less then 45 seconds. itll pull the flakes right off. over 45 seconds the paint will get to hot and you may get runs

>> No.437642
File: 58 KB, 625x439, English-MOFO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>436408
>decided to get some rustoleum matt black spray paint (shoul've got krylon maybe?)
Why?

>I got some paint dust (or flakes?)
Good for you....

...where? On what? Are they where the paint is supposed to be or on something else?

Come on FFS, give us a better description if you're not going to post pics of the problem.

I presume since you're talking American brands that English is your first language. Use it.

>> No.437648

>>437642
just out of curiosity, are you the same guy who asks for more information in basically every thread?
If so, plz stop. you annoy everyone, you flaming retarded faggot.

>> No.437657

>>437648

No, he isn't. Why do we ask? Cause you don't provide enough information for us to help you with your problem. If you're going to get all defensive about someone asking for more information, and you've seen people being repeatedly asked for more information in many posts maybe it might be a good idea to, you know, PROVIDE MORE INFORMATION when you make a post. You DO want us to give you the best answer right? That is why you are here isn't it?

>> No.437661

>>437657
this post is not me (OPfag)
>>437648
I picked up some krylon paint, and some steel wool. I scrubbed off the paint, and I am planning to repaint it.

>> No.437720

>>437642
>>437657
watch and learn faggots.

>>437661

cool bro. just make sure to clean the surface of any oily or waxy residue and sand it b4 u paint. Make sure the paint is specifically for the material you're painting.
You might need to use a primer depending on the paint, and wait for each coat to dry completely before re-applying.

/thread

>> No.437794

>>436628
would help but he'll need a plastic bonding paint too

>> No.437943

>>437648
Did someone get their jammies rustled? FFS if you can't see the need for more info then really /diy/ is far too intellectual for you.

>>437720
And this addresses the overspray issue in what way?

Hmmm? Sorry, what was that, I couldn't hear you? Yeah, I thought so now keep on walkin'.

>> No.438124
File: 37 KB, 550x550, dont-call-me-retarded-that-hurts-my-potato.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>437943
>jammies rustled?
>Sorry, what was that, I couldn't hear you?
>too intellectual for you.
>now keep on walkin'.

umad

>> No.439631

um...
>watertight box
>clear
>rustoleum

....sounds like OP is painting plastic.
if OP is spraying rustoleum straight onto plastic, this may not go very well.

can i ask what the watertight box is for and why you want to paint it? im so curious now lol

>> No.439712

>>439631

I originally want a black pelican dry case so I just went to walmart sporting goods section and picked up clear one and painted it black, and ya... i wasnt thinking it through when i got the rustoleum.

>> No.439777

>>437648

Why is it so infuriating that someone asks for more information? All the fun of /diy/ is hearing about the projects people are working on, why the fuck would I come on here just to help faggots who don't feel like using google? Where's my payoff?