[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 28 KB, 300x413, shampooing[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
434798 No.434798 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /diy/, this is my first time on this board, but I'm curious about making my own shampoo.
i'm just looking to clean my hair in the most affordable way, but I'm not sure I trust any of these recipes I see when I just search on google. Could you share any recipes you may have used before?

>> No.434814

Affordable = Don't use shampoo. Did this for some years myself. You get oily and itchy in the first few weeks (maybe 2-4 weeks) then it settles down, becomes less oily and feels fine. Just a suggestion.

>> No.434821

>>434814
Not everyone has the same flora or the same chemistry on their scalp and thus not everyone has the luxury to be able to successfully choose your option. For those people one of the things they will get is wicked-bad dandruff which will not get better even after a few months.

>> No.434832

>>434821
Yeah, I get that way when I don't use shampoo.
Pretty quickly, too.

>> No.434887

Mane n tail horse shampoo + conditioner. Big bottle. Makes my hair lovely. Beats the pants off of designer shampoos and conditioners and it's way cheaper. At least in California, most supermarkets even carry it, right in the normal shampoo aisle.

>> No.434895

>>434798

Shave your head.
Use soap on head.
Same soap used on body.

No extra cost.

>> No.434918

>>434887
I've always heard Mane n Tail is great, never tried it though.

>> No.434919

Really? Just buy VO5 and shampoo every other day

>> No.434935

>>434895
a neckbeard after my own heart ...

>> No.434946

>>434798
I've been using 1 tbsp baking soda mixed with one cup water to clean my hair, followed by 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar plus one cup water as a conditioner. Sometimes I mix honey into the vinegar to give it a scent

>> No.434947

>>434821
no shampoo and a vinegar rinse
if vinegar rinse doesn't prevent dandruff its medical condition

>> No.434962

>>434947
You're not a doctor, anon.

Dandruff is caused by many things. One is from the natural yeasts more than 1/2 the population of the planet has on our skin. It eats sebum and excretes an acid that causes skin cells to divide too quickly.

Since humans have been washing their hair with shampoos for many generations, these yeasts have adapted so that they can live on very little sebum. When you stop washing your hair, your scalp, which has been deperately trying to replace the washed away sebum with an increased rate of producing it will be overcompensating. This overcompensation while you are not washing your hair means that the yeasts will have an abundance of food far beyond normal. During this time the yeast cells multiply and do serious damage to the skin cells via the acid excretions. This causes massive amounts of seborrheic dermatitis.

After about 2-6 weeks without washing your hair with shampoos, the increase of sebum is finally reduced. The yeasts also decline, however, the damage is done and still ongoing. This is because there will always be more sebum regardless of the fact the scalp has finally resumed normal production of sebum. Since the yeasts have evolved with such low amounts of sebum, this new, more stable environment for them, with its abundance of food, will mean seborrheic dermatitis won't go away.

>> No.434975

>>434962
>not anon
so explain my lack of dandruff after i quit using shampoo over a year ago. had it before i quit, then it went away. my awesome dermatologist suggested i try the no shampoo/vinegar and it worked

>> No.434977

>>434975
>Dandruff is caused by many things.

>> No.434988

>>434946
does the vinegar leave much of a scent?

>> No.435009

> does the vinegar leave much of a scent?

it's vinegar, of course it leaves a scent. apple cider vinegar, which is what anon suggested, is about 10x smellier and more foul than normal wine vinegar.

>> No.435024

1) OP asks for recipes
2) argument about whether to use shampoo at all ensues
3) now debating cause of dandruff
4) now discussing whether vinegar smells

come on guys. has anyone made shampoo or do they have any experience making products of that sort?

looks like most of the recipes i see online are basically castille soap + fragrance/oil + vitamin E + moisturizer/thickener

so go off of that man, one person uses coconut milk and castille soap and vitamin e, doesnt sound like anything that could hurt you.

i DO know that you can buy very inexpensive bars of castile soap (they're $1 at my local supermarket, but it is a "latino" supermarket, i dont think ive really seen it in a walmart or publix) and you put it in a ziploc bag or tuperware 1 part soap to 4 parts water by weight and just wait like 5 days. the soap dissolves and you get a big tub of liquid soap.

this is a LOT cheaper because liquid soap is mostly water, and you're paying the distributor to basically ship you water.

SO, get a bar of soap, dissovle it to make liquid castile soap, and just use that or mix in some other stuff to make nice shampoo.

BAM

please report back as i am very interested

also i will be going to get a haircut soon from a good friend of mine who cuts hair and makes his own products, and i will ask him about the validity of this method and report back!

>> No.435043

>>435024
When I was still making biodiesel, I'd make soap out of the waste glycerin. To make it into shampoo, I'd just up the water content in the soap slightly, and sometimes add a little vegetable oil to trigger saponification when the lye was added.

I've also done vinegar soaks, and it does a decent job of pulling out dirt, and I enjoyed the scent for the whole hour it lasted.

I've also washed my hair with straight 99% isopropyl alcohol. Works alright on grease, but leads to a bit of scalp dryness.

>> No.435135

Y U use sham poo? Use real poo.

>> No.435136

>>435043
>I've also washed my hair with straight 99% isopropyl alcohol
That sounds insane. What would possess you to do such a thing?

>> No.435139

>>435136
I did it due to Dax Wax once.

>> No.435168

>>434798
1)Grate a bar of soap you like
2)(I think) 2l of water
3) Melt together
4) (optional) add glycerin, just a few drops to keep it 'liquid'
5)add any conditioner(Vitamin E, coconut milk, olive oil, etc)
6) Add a fragrance.
Done.

>> No.435186

>clean my hair in the most affordable way

Suave is literally $.98 a bottle at walmart, dude. Aside from not shampooing your hair at all, that's about as cheap as it'll get these days.

>> No.435271

>>435186
$0.98 for one small bottle of suave, which is awful shampoo, vs a few bucks to make gallons of good shampoo

i think thats the logic OP is using here

>>435024
>>435168
>castille soap + fragrance/oil + vitamin E + moisturizer/thickener like coconut milk
>what he said

>> No.435338

This is a bit off topic, but never let concrete dust float into your hair. Holy shit, it is terrible. It'll draw moisture from you and the air and start the chemical reaction. After that you have terribad hair that is brittle and super tangled.

>> No.435359

>>434798
a little lye from water filtered through hardwood ash
a little castille soap
a little vegetable oil

>> No.435445

>>434798
If you keep your hair very short you won't need more than a quarter-sized amount of shampoo in the first place.

>> No.435866

>>435359
this does not make sense.

castile soap IS lye + vegetable oil + water

wtf are you talkin about

>> No.435879

>>435445
If you keep your hair short enough then you don't need shampoo, period -- soap'll do it.

With very short hair it's never old enough that it will be damaged by washing with soap. Not theoretical OP, I haven't used shampoo in over 10 years and my hair (max 1/2" long) is plenty shiny in the right light.

>> No.435924

>>434798
I have 34" long hair and I only use unscented Ivory bar soap and it is just fine.