[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 44 KB, 600x401, 6a00d8341c630a53ef0168ebc8ae09970c-600wi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
425737 No.425737 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/
I recently watched the first season of the HBO program, Girls, and was inspired by the character Charlie's apartment. He has a studio with pretty high ceilings and built a reverse loft to maximize the space, which seems genius. I'm in a similar scenario, where I don't have a ton of square footage to work with, but have a fair amount of vertical space (approx 11 ft ceiling) that's currently unused. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the feasibility of this project.
Here's the inspiration: http://www.lauraballingerdesign.com/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=8&p=1&a=0&at=0

>> No.425752

I know a frat house at an engineering school that uses the same concept to get the maximum use of space out of smaller rooms. Feasibility depends on what you want to design and your access to tools, the skills to use those tools, and basic know-how that's going to keep you from building a death-trap. Another thing to consider is how easy it will be to dismantle if you're living in a rental or have to move in a shorter period of time. Good luck.

>> No.425761

I haven't given it a ton of thought yet so my ideas are underdeveloped, but my plan:
-build two platforms using 2x4's
-attach support beams around the perimeter of lower platform
-attach second platform on top
-lay hdf over the lower and upper platforms
-cover exterior in plywood

how i'm making sure this structurally sound is still unclear

>> No.425763

the platforms would be built like this:
http://www.myfamilylovesit.com/blog/index.php/2008/01/21/how-to-build-a-platform-bed/

>> No.426129
File: 56 KB, 469x500, 1293690524914.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Turn your apartment into a split level

>> No.426131

>>426129
That's actually really fucking cool. But the reverse loft idea still appeals to me, because the bed is on the bottom. When you're tired and literally wanna roll into bed, it's nice when it's at floor level, instead of having to climb a staircase or a ladder. The same applies to when you're just waking up, or waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. It's just much more convenient to be closer to the ground.

>> No.426158

>>426129
what if you knocked over the trashcan, aint nobody got time fo dat