[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 5 KB, 176x132, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
419785 No.419785 [Reply] [Original]

hey, i was planning on installing some more ram into my computer. does the ram sticks i buy need to be the same company and make as the others in my computer

>> No.419788

Not the same company, but definitely the same type and speed. You want any new memory to be able to a) fit, and b) be the same speed so that the system operates correctly.

Crucial has a thing on their site that helps you ID what type of RAM you need, if your computer lacks that documentation, or your computer/motherboard manufacturer lacks that documentation.

>> No.419813

Only if it's Apple™

>> No.419865

>>419813
>Only if it's Apple
uh, no.
not even then.
All that matters is type and speed. Some motherboards/setups require memory to be paired, so sometimes you can't mix capacities every stick either. Brand makes no diff, though some are more reliable/overclockable/etc. than others.

>> No.419930

tnx

>> No.419932

How much RAM are you installing and in what OS? Sometimes it's better/cheaper to just replace all your sticks.

>> No.419935
File: 224 KB, 1366x768, Voldemortback.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>419785
>>419932

And is it a 32bit or 64bit system?

32bit has a limit of how much ram it can use. (irc. 3GB including video ram).

>> No.419962

>>419785

it's important what size your gambuda can handle, and if it's DDR2 oldshit or DDR3, DDR4 idk... the main thing with RAM is where small gap is. pick one incompatible with your RAM slUt and you're fucked ;_;

>> No.419963

Find the specks for your motherboard. Often times you can run faster ram than what is installed. You also want to know what your maximum ram is, no point in getting that 16 gig if your MB only supports 4.

XP 32 bit is a gay ass address limited to 4GB not 3gb like some fag is telling you.

All the ram in your system will run at the speed of the slowest module you have installed, you may want to consider replacing all your ram instead of just adding more.

Getting more ram only helps if your running out of ram and your system starts using your hard drive as ram with something called a swap file. For the most part you can test this by disabling your swap file and seeing if everything still runs. If you use Photoshop or solid works with big files frequently get as much ram as you can afford. But most people wont use more than 4gb anyhow.

A faster hard drive of the ssd variate will frequently do much more for your performance than ram. Look for the fastest read and right speeds you want to afford. Size doesn't really matter much, keep your old slow 2tb drive for content and use a little fast drive to boot from.

This little bitch right here is what I'm thinkin on.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227709

>> No.419987

>>419963
actually it's limited to ~3.5 if you have PAE... if you don't have PAE it's entirely possible you can be stuck at 3GiB...

From what I have seen, anyway.

>> No.419990

>>419987
>PAE
In computing, Physical Address Extension (PAE) is a feature to allow 32-bit x86 processors to access a physical address space (including random access memory and memory mapped devices) ~~~larger~~ than 4 gigabytes.

>> No.420008

>>419788

It has to be the same type, but not necessarily the same speed. The system will just run the memory at the speed of the slowest module installed.

>>419987
>>419990

PAE is supposed to allow you to use far more than 4GB of memory in a 32bit OS.

This feature is intentionally crippled in Windows XP 32bit, though. It will not allow you to have more than 4GB of address space even if PAE is enabled.

That address space is also shared between all of your hardware. You don't gain access to a full 4GB of system RAM because your mainboard chipset and video card reserve some of that address space for themselves.

>> No.420007
File: 63 KB, 460x349, 1362933079040.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not always OP, double check the pin count to be safe.

If you are running windows Vista/7/8, I recently started using ReadyBoost which comes preinstalled on all of them. It converts a USB sticks or SD card into a simple RAM module for your computer, it gave my under powered laptop a very noticeable boost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j4GfafdNxE

>> No.420061

CPU-Z is an app that should tell you the specifications of the current RAM in your system, the amount of unused RAM slots, and if your CPU has the PAE extension. Come back with screens. (it's cpuid.com if you haven't heard of it. it gets posted on /g/ a lot)