[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 117 KB, 800x588, Jean-Léon_Gérôme_-_Diogenes_-_Walters_37131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
419354 No.419354 [Reply] [Original]

since I don't want to go full Thoreau, what are some good ways to live simply?
I thought about spinning my own wool, though I don't really know what I'd do with it
also a goat for cheese, but again I don't know what the cost would be or anything like that
right now I have a small garden but that's it

>> No.419362

>>419354
So basically you want to do stuff you have absolutely no idea of. By the way, you can't live off wool and cheese.

>> No.419365

>>419362
>clothe myself with wool
>feed myself with cheese AND my small garden

I was just looking at little ways to be self sufficient

>> No.419366

>>419365
First of all ditch the computer, then you'll want to sell it and other posessions to cover the short-fall before you're first crop.

>> No.419373

>>419366
until my first crop fails, what are some small ways I can be self sufficient
I can use the spun wool to knit sweaters to keep warm for when I get evicted, and I can eat the goat before I have to search through dumpsters

>> No.419395

>>419373

Learn to repair clothes. No need to learn how to precess wool and shit when people are throwing away clothes with only minor problems. Torn seem or a missing button? Trash it. Then you dig it out of the can, wash it and fix it.

>> No.419401

>>419395
but I'd still like to know how to make something, it just interests me
besides, I do all that already

>> No.419406
File: 30 KB, 260x320, henry-david-thoreau.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm actually about 3/4ths tthe way through Henry Thoreau's Walden. It's a great, poetic ready about a man who goes "into business" with the forest. His philosophy is to not let your possessions own you, work for yourself and enjoy nature. Link to .pdf version:
http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/thoreau/thoreau-walden6x9.pdf

I've been contemplating this for a long time OP so perhaps I can give some ideas. Chickens, root vegetable garden and a seasonal job. Chickens are a cheap and low maintenance source of food. Root vegetables like potatoes, beets and carrots are rugged and can grow year round. Goats are nice but as Thoreau sees it, large mammals are such a large responsibility that they infringe on your freedom and can be costly to keep. (I'm sure people on this board may disagree)

For housing, this board is very well known for it's tiny house enthusiasts and cabin builders. If you just lurk around on this board you'll learn a lot of interesting things.

>> No.419410

>>419406
how much does a live chicken cost about?
I live near a lot of farms, can I just go to one and ask for some?

>> No.419551

Ever thought making a hydroponic garden?

>> No.419575

>>419410
Actually, if you live anywhere near a big university with a poultry department, you might be able to score some chicks for free. I have a friend who owns a bunch of chickens and her sister attends UGA and they were going to kill off a bunch of chicks that were used in an experiment of some sort. She put them in a bin and brought them home. So you could try that.

>> No.419579

>>419410
Depends on where you live but around here you can buy a really good full grown laying hen for about 8 bucks. But you can order from a hatchery and pay only 2-3$ for each bird although you will probably get 50:50 males and females, plus you will have to wait longer for eggs, if you start with chicks. Then you will probably loose 10-40% of the chicks you buy, since its your first time. If you need more information just ask, I raise my own birds from eggs that I collect.

>> No.419581

>>419579
Craig's list is also a great source for animals if you know what your looking for

>> No.420060

OP I've got news for you.The goat isn't for cheese it's for sex.

>> No.420072
File: 18 KB, 500x378, 1359937020390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>420060
lol...I pooped myself a little.