[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 78 KB, 1178x451, visor setup.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
417263 No.417263 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /diy/
I'm currently working on a wearable computer project with a Raspberry Pi and I'm stuck at the headset configuration. The headset should contain at least an old webcam eye, a mini-display (like the B/W one in old camcorders), an earphone and a microphone.
I've got 2 problems right now:
1) Which setup is better?
-A: monocular design, can be lifted when unused but would force me to close one eye to focus on the pic unless I find a way to mix the right eye and left eye pictures seamlessly;
-B: binocular design, less strain on the eyes but fully encloses the eyesight, greatly reducing the vision cone.

2) Where do I find a suitable display for my project? I can salvage a mini-display from an old camcorder but the resolution is quite low (300x224 something) and B/W. Are there sites specialized in selling salvaged components? A MyVu display would be the end-all for my project, but sadly I don't know anyone around here that has a broken one, not even on eBay.

>> No.417265
File: 40 KB, 688x451, visor eyesight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also, I'm interested on Kopin displays but I don't know where to buy them from, do you think Kopin could send me a sample if I ask them?

>> No.417276

Sounds good. Not sure whats better or whats cooler, im conflicting on those. But you go. Cant really help but gogo powerrangers.

>> No.417282

>>417263
DBZ Scanner is better. Option A

>> No.417297

Bump.
Also, do you know which camcorders use color display in the viewfinder?

>> No.417316
File: 942 KB, 500x281, tumblr_m61mvrIrqw1rsj1k2o1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1) Personally I think the binocular would be more effective and balanced. To fix the narrowing vision problem you could:
-trial and error test some optical lenses in front of your webcam.
-make some sort of Google glasses projection onto safety glasses like setup.

2) If you have the technological know how I think a camcorder screen would work just fine. You could also look at mini car LCD screens(used for backup cameras), they sell a 20$ one on Amazon that 3.5' and the reviews looked good. I had never looked at Kopin mini displays before you brought it up, but they look mighty fine, if not expensive.

Related:
http://videos.howstuffworks.com/computer/wearable-computers-videos-playlist.htm#video-2546
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKMFFDcoUk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik

>> No.417572

Bump for the night.
I'll be back tomorrow in case of news.

>> No.417597

Binocular vision doesn't have to enclose the eyesight. You could have two eyetaps with very small cameras and projectors held by a thin stainless frame.

>> No.417743

mono, can probably build the whole thing on a microphone headset.

>> No.417824
File: 94 KB, 1263x451, projection.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here.
>>417597
>You could have two eyetaps with very small cameras and projectors
In case of strong light presence the projection might not be very visible, that's why I'm opting for an enclosed piece.

>>417316
>You could also look at mini car LCD screens(used for backup cameras)
If it's the one I'm thinking it is, then it uses a Kopin 300M display, has a 320x240 resolution (with 10 px of opaque padding all around, hence 300x224) and it's B/W.

I've devised this new method, but I think it will increase the width of the visor and there's still the problem with strong light sources nearby.

By the way, I think I'm gonna work on the mono one first and then move on to the binocular one, since the only difference (in terms of construction) is that the latter has two reflecting lenses inside.