[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 71 KB, 1899x797, rum.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
41651 No.41651 [Reply] [Original]

I've been living in this room for the 19 years of my life and I'm grown tired of this boy's-room look. I'm going for a major makeover.

I want some new warm colors. paint or wallpaper. I like the texture of paint better though.
curtains- some nice clean colored ones.
furniture- nothing expensive. preferably /diy/
space efficiency!!! (the kind like in the picture)
arts or posters.
etc. etc.

Looking for all kind of tips or ideas to make a nice room. like to put some thing on the old stove when it's just sitting there taking space. and i like wood.

1/5

>> No.41669

fdjgnöjk (disregard this post)

>> No.41671

you want it to be less of a boys room by having a captains bed over the desk?

>> No.41674

test. Can't upload pics
2/5

>> No.41677

requesting pictures of your room

>> No.41682

>>41671
I know! Everything accept that. I just like it.

>>41677
They're coming but I can't upload them

>> No.41687
File: 1.51 MB, 2592x1936, IMG_0807.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2/5

>> No.41701
File: 905 KB, 1815x1356, IMG_0808.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

3/5

>> No.41709

4/5

>> No.41725
File: 599 KB, 1162x1556, IMG_0810.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

5/5

>> No.41726

>19
>lives at home
>thinks moving around a boys room makes up for this

Move the fuck out, manchild.

>> No.41737

>>41726
gotta love all the tripfag psychologists. chill the fuck out.

>> No.41758

go with paint, much more durable in the long haul.
Think about putting in new floors, unless you already have hardwood floors. Bitches love hardwood floors.

also; time to move out.

>> No.41759

>>41726

dude, i'm 19 and trying to move out... why do you think i'm designing a containerhouse?

but, tbh, 99% of people can't afford to move out at 19.

>> No.41901

Paint the walls like beige or tan or something. You can even have an accent color on one wall to be cool.

As for art, if you can't find anything at the stores that you like, go to /hr/ and find or start an art thread. Print out ones that you like and frame them.

>> No.41902

>>41901
Forgot. Print them out at fedex office or kinkos or something.

>> No.41919

>dat stove

Dude I'd say your room is pretty much unfixable due to that. If you really want to, throw out everything, paint the walls, do the floors if you can afford, do SOMETHING about that stove, get some new furniture, go with a clean smooth look, and the curtains OH GOD THE CURTAINS.

No offense but your room looks like they shot nickelodeon ads in there.

>> No.41929
File: 10 KB, 200x119, CCTV LoGo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

(pic unrelated)
couldn't resist saying that Oliver halfgood is the 99%

also op should put the bed on the north facing wall.

>> No.41936

get a bed for 2 persons, paint the walls white. get two book cases. get a nice chair. good luck

>> No.41940

>>41759
Don't sweat it. The only people go do the "OMG, UR OVER 17 AND LIVE AT HOME LOSER" are 12-16 year-olds under the assumption that on hitting 18 the world magically provides to you everything needed for independent living.

Well, that or they're living on their own, it's being paid for by their parents, and they have a hueg cognitive dissonance.

>> No.42181

Um... honestly, don't redecorate if you're planning on moving out soon.
You should instead start hoarding stuff for your new space.
But if you're an amerifag... Unless you already have a good job, you'll probably be looking at at minimum two more years before you can really afford to live on your own without being dirt poor anyway, so go ahead.

Easy stuff to buy that can be used to make a difference in your current space, but also good for when you move out:

Curtains- If you can sew a straight line, get to a fabric store and make some awesome ones. Most newer places have standard window sizes anyway, but you might look at making them slightly longer than necessary... you can always cut them down later.
Bedclothes (Before moving out I recommend having at least 2 blankets and two sets of sheets)
Wall mounted shelving... put some over your desk and display some stuff over it. You can mount them in different places in your new home later. Vintage shelf brackets can be had for cheap at rummage sales, flea markets, etc and can add some visual interest to plain boards.
Maybe a small area rug
One of those Bed/desk things is an okay idea if you get a good one or build one yourself. If you build it, try customizing the height slightly so you don't bang your head, and come up with a few little touches to make the design cool.
If you move out, you can use it to maximize a small apartment, or sell it on CL.

>> No.42187

f you're planning to move out soon, hoard:
Dishes... check out thrift stores for nice inexpensive full sets
PYREXWARE, which is god tier, enamelware also good, check thrift shops and TJMAXX
2 basic cookie sheets
Basic cooking shit... walmart sells an okay kit of inexpensive nonstick pots and utensils
Silverware for 4.
Tupperware
A small tool kit
Build or get cheap bookshelves
Cleaning supplies
A first aid kit
Wall mounted hooks
Make or buy storage bins
Maybe a cheap armchair or couch from CL or goodwill
A small table, either from CL or a cheap card table.
A slowcooker
A blender

Thing is, while you're waiting to move out, assuming you have storage for this stuff, you can look for deals. Check local dollar stores, build stuff yourself, look at clearance racks, discount stores, and thrift shops. Then when you move out, you won't be stressed about buying it in a hurry on top of getting your security deposit paid, your shit moved in, etc. You'll spend less money in the long run.

>> No.42194
File: 109 KB, 500x281, 45703.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>41940
Moved out when I was 19.
haters gonna hate.

>> No.42199
File: 8 KB, 600x600, muted green scheme.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't paint the walls white. That's for fucking prisons. Here's your color scheme. These kinds of greens are really super relaxing for people. You want that for a bedroom. Look up the psychological effects of colors if you don't believe me.

>> No.42209

>>42199
that is some awesome colour scheme you got there.
I got half of my apartment painted chalk whte and the other painted in a warm light green colour. Feels great, but I'm kinda getting tired of (had it like this for about 2½ years). Did it myself. feelsgoodman.jpg

>> No.42223 [DELETED] 

>>41651
You should crosspost this thread on /fa/ as well as here.

>> No.42953

Find a local print shop, get some posters printed cheap on big paper. Theres one down my road, I just email them, ride down after school, give em some money and ride home.

>> No.42959

>>42199

I love this scheme. Any way to incorporate some more blue hues in without overpowering?

>> No.42980

>>42199
second. Painted my bedroom walls Seagrass Green last year, and love it.

>> No.43041

>>41936
This. But you won't do this because you are 19. Less is more.

>> No.43179

why invest all this time and money into your room when you're only going to move out soon anyways? oh... wait... you're not... you plan on living with your parents for a few more years... oh dear...

>> No.43205
File: 35 KB, 664x1468, pimped.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

are you a neckbeard or do you have sex?
I had a bed-over-desk configuration when I lived with my parents and it was annoying as fuck - right under the ceiling, flimsy, cranky. I avoided it like the pest. I always went to the girls' places.
If I were you, I'd use one wall of your room completely for storage (huge shelf spanning from left to right and the floor to the ceiling) with one shelf board sticking out and being your desk.
Another side for the bed and the other corner for chairs/couch and a table.

pic related three configurations.

the second and third have another shelf as room partition and the large shelf frames the door.

>> No.43214

I'm 21 and still live with my parents.

but that is simply because i am unable to find a job and can't afford to move out, plus i don't want to go on welfare.

>> No.43218

>>43214
I did compulsory civil service (alternative to conscription in Germany) at the red cross after school and my parents lived 3 minutes away from the rescue coordination center. So I said 'fuck it' and lived another year with my parents.
Another friend of mine lives alone since she's 14.

Really it's more of a case-by-case thing if living with your parents is acceptable or not.

>> No.43231

Okay, for all of you that's so interested in private lives.

I'm studying from home, improving my grades. move out next fall.

>>43205
I realize now that bed over desk is a bad idea. It just got stuck in head last night that it would be cool when I saw some perfect room thread here.
No neckbeard but I hardly ever fuck at home.

>> No.43246

>>41759
>>41940

fukkin lol

moving out doesn't really cost that much, you can get a room in a house with roommates for 1/3-1/2 as much as what it would cost to get a 1 bedroom apartment. any idiot can get a shitty job out of high school and move in to a place after only a few paychecks, it just depends what your priorities are.

>> No.43253

>>43214
Dude, don't feel too bad - I'm 27 and still living with my parents.

>> No.43277

>>43253

lol you all suck

feel very bad losers

>> No.43298

>>41726
>19
>manchild

i'd agree with you if he was 25+
current American situation prevents some people for being able to live on their own
I know some of you are able to do so, so inb4 all that jazz.

>> No.43299

>>42223
That is a terrible idea.

>> No.43343

I'm 26 and live at home. My sister's 24 and lives at home. The only reason my brother doesn't live at home is because he found work in another country. We all have university degrees in science or engineering, and we all have some form of grad studies completed. You'd be surprised how hard it is for young educated people to find work that pays more than minimum wage - there's way too many of us and it's way too easy for companies to just hire immigrants with 10+ years of experience.

>> No.43354

>>41651

Paint it white!

Get rid of that little boy's room blue color by throwing up about four coats of white or nearly white paint.

>> No.43357

>>42199
>>43354

Or maybe not. This guy with the green swatch has a good point. I like white walls and doing color stuff with the floor/ceiling and curtains and stuff, but that's just me.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, painting the ceiling a darker color than the walls makes the room look bigger.

>> No.43359

Get some more storage for that shit on your desk. Decent plastic toolboxes don't cost too much, and some plastic slide out drawer things are great for batteries and loose junk.

>> No.43361

And get the plate off your laptop

>> No.43593

>>43357
Yep, I liked the middle one. kind of olive green.

>>43359
I have more storage. Just didn't bother to clean it all up.

>>43361
I'm sprouting seeds in a wet towel between the plates. Plants are a part of the plan.

>> No.43696

Look for software to helps you to dsegin your room, I mean one with 3D simulation.
I used this one when changed my room last time.
http://www.sweethome3d.com/index.jsp
Only can try anithing you want, it comes with some forniture, but lets you import obj models to make better simulations.

>> No.43772

>>43696

>> No.44054
File: 7 KB, 231x205, 1318041082819s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

experiment non-ordinary colors can look great, as for warm? orange is great, and red isnt bad, but takes a shit-load of coats to block out darker colors

>> No.44062
File: 2 KB, 126x97, 1304183185906s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

be careful about having your bed so that you face the door, it can make you want to saty up all night to listen for intruders, its from all that zen-bullshit but i find it to be true.

>> No.44072

>>41726
>kicked out when they turned 18
>thinks a 19 year old is a manchild

You sure had shitty parents man.

>> No.44077

Hey OP, how much money are you looking to spend on your room? btw what are the dimensions of the room as well as the height of the ceilings?

>> No.44079
File: 52 KB, 640x360, bias1-4e558ed-intro-thumb-640xauto-24932.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not really a decor tip but if you're painting/wallpapering anyways, put up a neutral gray where your monitors gonna be and use bias lighting to ease eye strain and get better colour perception. I've been meaning to do it myself.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/08/bias-lighting.ars

plus look at that shit, shit looks awesome

>> No.44081

>>41929

why do you keep posting this pic?

>> No.44089

im 27 and im still living with my parents. COME AT ME BROS!!

But this is a cultural thing, i dont know why americans are obsessed with moving out. Here there are only 3 ways to move out.

1.-Get married
2.-Go and study on another city (Already did, 5 years on my own)
3.-Get a job in another city.

If you move out from your parents house with no reason, people are going to think they molest you or something. Even when you are making a lots of money, you stay around your parents house.

Also im 27, living with my parents, i have my own business, this month i get a huge contract, 80,000 dollars i help my father with his businees and my mother with the house. I already have the house im goint to live in when i get married (next year)

Why americans have this obsession to move out?

>> No.44093

Look into feng shui! Get a compass! Google "clearing energy from a room." Feels good man!

>> No.44097

>>44089

brainwashing to drive the real estate bubble, generally keep families from getting anywhere because everyone's paying a mortgage

>> No.44100

>>44089
Probably because most of us American have crappy parents and moving out means a lot less stress for us.

>> No.44115
File: 33 KB, 469x500, space saving design.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

inspiration (from a you want you lose thread on /b/)

>> No.44117

>>41725

your room has a fucking wood cook stove??!

manly enough

>> No.44133

I'm 27. I live at home. Had brain surgery 5 years ago. It wiped me the fuck out. Going to school and working a shit part-time job. I'm thankful my parents let me live with them.

>> No.44155

i wonder, is the desk essential? i would aim to try and get a small couch in there if you could, or a futon perhaps?

that desk to me seems to make it like it's a schoolboy's room, you know, somewhere for homework, i myself use a couch to use my computer, i do have a desk but it's industrial, more of a workbench

>> No.44173
File: 53 KB, 468x351, standupdesk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>44155

Yeah, my shitty Ikea desk gave out a while ago and I don't think I'm getting a replacement. I'm planning on doing a standing/sitting desk like pictured and using the space under for storage. Be a pretty efficient use of space if you only make it like 25" deep against the wall, I think.

Standing height would let it double as an impromptu work/assembly bench, especially if you put the computer shit to one side- then you could use it for displaying plans while you work.

>> No.44320

>>44089
>i dont know why americans are obsessed with moving out.

because when you live with your parents you get parented. move out on your own and you can do whatever the fuck you want with no accountability. i can sleep in until 3 in the afternoon, then get trash hammered watching football and have people over without having to ask permission or be considerate to others. power tools in the living room at midnight? yep. mom whining that bathroom is messy? nope. totally worth it having to pay for rent and food.