[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 49 KB, 468x468, shipping-container-cabin-7[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
410877 No.410877[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I got the go-ahead that I can build a shipping-container style (I am flexible with the specifics) cabin on some property my family owns.

I would like it to be self sustaining, with solar and septic. I could hook into the main property's solar and septic but I want a bit of remoteness and privacy.

Budget to build would be $5-8 thousand US.

Time to build would be 1 year (would prefer to build it on-site), though I could fabricate the main parts in town then bring it out there.

I have trailers and front loaders/backhoes so digging a foundation and moving it into place wouldn't be too difficult.

Also, what I want out of the cabin: it would be a retreat for me and a girlfriend. Would be a go-to in a shit hitting the fan scenario.

Have access to spring, well, and stream water (stream water is unreliable though).

How should I approach this undertaking?
I fancy something like pic related, but it gets me thinking... do I even need a shipping container at all? A good friend of mine was a house builder (framer) and he knows enough that he could help me build it.

Building codes are a non issue. I can build whatever I want however I want and as long as I'm not throwing shit into the stream, anything goes.

>> No.410883

... Put the thing on cinder blocks, if you're going to make a foundation, you might as well just build a regular frame cabin out of 2x4s. Anytime you put something on someone elses property, make sure you can move it easily enough.

Cinder blocks are like $1.50 each, your wallet will thank me.

Also, take pictures, we'd like to see it.

>> No.410886

>>410883
Like I said... it's a family property. The property is fuck huge so it is guaranteed to never be in the way, ever.

Honestly, I've been scoping 20' containers, and just the container is like 3,000. Three grand could buy a lot of lumber. I might build a quaint little cabin and call it a day. Would need to only consist of a sleeping area and a living room with a breakfast bar. Maybe enough room for a small 4 person table, but 2 person capacity would be find.

Basically I want a place where I could bring a group of 2-4 (including myself) to drink some whisky, smoke, and get the fuck away from the stress of the city and workweek.

>> No.410889
File: 205 KB, 1600x1200, WoodstovePic[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>410886
I would also want to put one of these in there, with the ability to cook.

Wouldn't mind doing all cooking with dutch-ovens or similarly rustic cookware (not to mention, dutch-oven cooking is fucking delicious).

Would have the ability to bounce a directional wifi and maybe a cellular (but the cellular may run afoul of FCC regulations... but then again, it's directional so nobody would know) to the cabin to let it have communications.

Though there is value in being totally un-plugged. Honestly, I have half a mind to just say forget the solar and plumbing, I could dig an out-house (with a rudimentary septic system-- no running water) and just do it straight old school style with kerosene lamps and the wood burning stove.

Having it totally unplugged would save a lot of money because solar systems (with batteries) are $$$.

>> No.410893
File: 384 KB, 1024x768, c band dish.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>410886
That is a little high. I was quoted at $1800 for a 20 ft, $2500 for a 40 ft in Southwest Michigan. Used Hyundai containers.

Insulation is the hardest part, since you don't want to compromise the internal space. For added r-value, they have white paint with ceramic in it. I want to say it adds +5 r value or something like that?

Avoid kerosene lamps, they're sooty. You're better off a plumped propane system.

Long range wifi isn't tough. Find an old c-band dish and you've got half the battle done.

>> No.410899

>>410893
Yes, but the long range wifi would require line of site, which I'm not too keen on.

I could just do a satellite internet hookup, but like I said, I am now thinking to avoid solar.

Maybe I'll just build a wood cabin (very small, like the size or smaller than a studio apartment) and run some propane in it. Shit, if I got a big enough propane tank I could just run a propane generator and not even fuck with a battery bank.

Main property has the amenities, this little cabin would be 'mine' though so I could relax as I please, and not worry about upsetting anyone else about my use of the space.

Would also like to put a telescope there to do star gazing. It's in an area without light pollution so I could get into astronomy there (I like astronomy).

>> No.410917

>>410899
How many miles away is your wifi "home base"?

>> No.410920

>>410917
A satellite in geostationary orbit above earth...

Unless I built on the top of a hill I would not have a line of site for more than a few hundred yards.

>> No.410922

>>410920
You'd be surprised. LOS is deal with.