[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 519 KB, 1280x960, 0304111415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
40886 No.40886 [Reply] [Original]

My father really loved to do a lot of work on the scrollsaw. Included for your enjoyment is a (shitty cell-phone quality) picture of the clock that he and I made. I'd take a better picture, but we gave the clock itself to his mother when it was done. It's a Wildwood Clocks design, their "Grand Cathedral" - http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/Grand-Cathedral-Clock-Plan-P3429C26.aspx . Total work time was... well, I have no idea how long. We made ours entirely out of one-side-maple plywood (because we're cheap), except for the flat brown bits (hickory, I think?) and the green-painted plexiglass that we put on the inside bits.

Not shown: we made a face out of hickory and glued it on, then put a hands-only battery-powered action inside. We also put a piece of trim around the edges of the base to cover up the edge of the plywood.

We have at least two or three other Wildwood clock designs around, but my father died about a month and a half ago and I haven't had the courage to go into the workshop and work on any of them by myself. He used to just spend hours and hours down there until he lost the strength to get up and down the stairs and to control the work piece on the scrollsaw.

Anyway, depressing memories aside, what stuff like this have you /diy/ers made? I'm sure your workshops AND your work are prettier than mine!

>> No.40896
File: 617 KB, 960x1280, 1030111235.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another thing my father made, this time all on his lonesome, albeit with my mother's help to glue it together. There are two of these, but the prettier one is, again, hanging up at his mother's house.

>> No.40898

Also, yes, my house is a giant fucking mess.

>> No.40901

Hey man. Sorry to hear your dad passed away !

That's some pretty amazing work you were doing really. Sure, could use a little bit more detail and such but hey, DIY right ;)

I've got nothing to show currently but I've made quite a bunch of wooden candle holders from tree parts really.

>> No.40916

>>40896

Wow. Very very nice. Actually, screw that, it's fucking awesome.

>> No.40919

I never really thought of it as 'amazing', it's mostly just time consuming, haha. I really want to get into doing it and learn how to handle the scrollsaw properly. Like I think I mentioned, I plotted out the parts and did stuff like cutting them to size on the table saw, gluing on the patterns and putting it together in the end.

Also, we generally got our patterns off of the internet rather than making them ourselves - though I'd love to make one from scratch myself, I really have no artistic sensibility :D

>> No.40925
File: 396 KB, 800x600, 2011-10-09-puzzle-process.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My wife does jigsaw puzzles... this was her most recent. She does a different kind of pattern each time, this time the theme was triangle and hidden shapes.

>> No.40932
File: 138 KB, 800x600, w-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DeWalt glamour shot

>> No.40965

>>40925
This is really cool. How is the picture applied to the front?

>> No.40984

>>40965

Tightbond III :-)

>> No.40990

>>40896

so much work wasted on catholic bullshit, it could be glorious

>> No.40999

>>40984
What's the picture itself made of? Is it printed-out photo paper or something? Do you lay polyurethane over it to keep it undamaged?

>>40990

Yeah, well, it wasn't my choice of patterns. But, as a classical singer, there's a lot of "Catholic bullshit" that I don't believe in but I can still enjoy for its artistic merits...

>> No.41004

>>40990
Still a beautiful piece though. You don't have to be religious to appreciate religious art.

Sorry to hear about your dad OP. His stuff looks amazing. I'm not one to judge since I didn't even know what a scroll saw was before this, but I'll definitely look into it to see if it can be added to my repertoire.

>> No.41005

>>40999

Oh, sorry :-) It's a regular photo print from Costco, glued to birch or poplar plywood, coated with polyacrylic, and trimmed. Then she cuts it. She occasionally lays out a grid on adhesive paper over the blue masking tape, or just makes a grid from the tape itself.

>> No.41030

>>41005
That's pretty cool. One more question - by 'polyacrylic' do you mean some sort of spray or are you talking about a solid sheet of plastic from the hardware store?

>> No.41196

>>40990
>>40990

shut the fuck up dude, that thing is fucking amazing

my condolences op

>> No.41216

>>41030

"Polycrylic" is a specific coating made by Minwax IIRC. You can get it as brush-on or spray-on.

>> No.41222

Dear OP,
if you have these plans in electronic form, please upload them somewhere. I'd love to have a laser cut version of that for the back of a homemade Imperator Titan.

>> No.41432

>>41222

Which plans? The Hail Mary?

>> No.41439

>>41222

Actually, figured out where it's from - it's another Wildwood pattern. http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/Hail-Mary-Prayer-Plan-P1616.aspx

I don't have any digital format of it.

>> No.41712 [DELETED] 
File: 89 KB, 1024x830, 1320014219675.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does handcutting with piercing saw counts in?
The coin in the picture is 18.5mm in diameter.

>> No.41718
File: 89 KB, 1024x830, 1320014359518.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does handcutting with piercing saw count in?

>> No.41722
File: 89 KB, 1024x830, small_witch_x7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does handcutting with piercing saw count in?
I've just cut this out using a random image from Google Images.

>> No.43022

bumping until I get a chance to post some ebook links

>> No.43120
File: 241 KB, 655x1081, Chimes1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Heres one of mine, Chimes of Normandy, 1m (3 feet) tall and took me three months to build.

>> No.43126
File: 310 KB, 731x1185, Chimes2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Side view as well. I have been scrollsawing for about twenty years now. If anyone had any questions they would like the answers to. then fire away.

>> No.43430

>>43126

OP here. That's gorgeous! We have the pattern for that one - and in fact, my father cut most of the pieces, as far as I know, before I came home from school - but only some of it is assembled. I recognize the very base part as sitting on the shelf in the workshop.

>> No.43511

>>43126

Actually, just came up with two technique questions. One: How do you cut the 45* angle on the edges of the pieces? Do you cut it on your scrollsaw or do you use a router?

Second: How did you glue together the triangular bits at the tops of the towers? When I did them for the other clock, they were... well, less than simple, I can say that for sure.

Also, what do you do with your finished pieces? Do you sell them at craft fairs and such?

>> No.44217

>>43511
The 45* angles I cut with a disc sander. Certainly not the recommended method, but it worked for me.

Yeah the triangle bits can be very tricky when there are no straight angles to clamp. I am not sure what I did in this case, I made it many years ago, but things like using superglue on pieces like that helps a lot, as well as making your own jig to hold the pieces at 90*.

I currently have some of my fretwork in a local craft shop. Sold quite a few of the smaller pieces, but the larger ones do not sell that well.

I have had many funny comment's such as - "where do you buy the kit" and "why isnt it painted?"

>> No.46091 [DELETED] 

bump