[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.80 MB, 2448x3264, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
400848 No.400848 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/, I just came back from a two week vacation to find one of the rear wheels on my car is flat. I filled it up but after a day and a half it's leaked back down to a flat.

Do you know how I can identify where the leak is and how to patch it? I would like to avoid a new tire if I can easily patch the leak, but I don't know where to begin. Otherwise, what is the difference in cost if I were to take it to say, Tires Plus?

Thanks in advance for any help!

>> No.400852

>>400848
Im not sure what the name of the product is, but you can get something to spray into the valve that should repair it automatically.

>> No.400854

>>400848

pump it up and cover it with soapy water and look for bubbles. or dunk it into a large container of water.

>> No.400857

>>400852

Great, I'll look into this, sounds great! Thanks!

>> No.400864

>>400857
you can do this...but it gets really messy, especially if you try to take the tire off

if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, do this >>400854 to find the hole and then go look for a kit like this
www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Wheel-Tire-Repair/Tire-Plugger-Kit/_/N-25cn
to plug it yourself,
takes maybe twenty minutes to take the wheel off and plug it

>> No.400867

>>400857
don't do it! Those are great for emergencies, but those are really just to get you to a place where you can pulg it or patch it. Just find the hole and plug it. You may just have a bad valve, too.

>> No.400875

Don't use fix-a-flat. Like another anon pointed out, It's for emergencys only and not good for the tire. Plugs kit are about $5.
You can take it to a tire shop and have it patched and balanced for $20 or less. Not really worth doing it yourself to save $15. I'm a diehard /diy/er and a poorfag and it would still be a toss up on whether to diy or not.

>> No.400882

air it up and do the soapy water test
if the leak is in the tread area
it can probably be plugged for $6
or patched for $15
at a tire shop, or auto service station
if the leak is in the sidewall, it can't be patched or plugged, so you'd need a new tire

>> No.401043

Get this http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=D4EE778DE5CFD9229B0A6863D35DA111#ip/14324186?from=cart

This has everything from hole plugs to valve stem replacement and tools for 14 $$$

>> No.401049

You can buy a can of stop-leak that inflates your tire and stops the leak.Its like 12$ at auto places.Its so good that I drove across the US from the east coast to the west coast. That was 2 years ago and I STILL have the same tire on my jeep... I forget the name, but I always keep and extra can in the car just in case and because its fucking magic.next time I go out to the jeep I'll check what brand.

>> No.401048

>>400848
Just get a couple cans of Fix-a-Flat.