[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 9 KB, 450x606, rigid-foam-sword.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
392568 No.392568[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I'm trying to design a foam sword that emits a sound upon impact. Sounds easy enough.
Expect, I don't want it to make a sound when it hits another sword (or a shield or something). And that second part stumps me, and I really am not too sure what my options are.

Could do a type of magnetic sensor maybe? Though I don't know a ton about electronics.

Any ideas or directions to look into?

>> No.392591

>>392568
perhaps a button on the handle that when pressed it makes the sound?

>> No.392595

rfid to identify different objects paired with a vibration sensor perhaps? if the sensor matches with a rfid, it will know it has hit something, then based on the rfid tag emits a specific sound?

>> No.392596

>>392568
>Expect
Annnnnd I'm out.

>> No.392604

>>392596

how does your post contribute to the conversation at all?

Is it really necessary to point out a minor error in spelling on an anonymous board on the internet for casual conversation?

Its people like you who ruin fucking boards, and its not surprising that you have a tripcode to boot.

On the topic of OP, a magnetic sensor may work, but t would rely on the part that senses it being close enough to detect the magnet. Ma cause issues.

>> No.392622

>>392595
Sounds like it could work well, based on my limited rfid knowledge. Gotta research more though.

>> No.392642

>>392596
Thanks for the bump.

>> No.392652

http://www.parallax.com/Store/tabid/60/Default.aspx

Looking here for ideas. Gotta find someone who knows robotics...

>> No.392654

your best bet would be to have a simple intertial contact switch, which could be a loose spring coiled around a metal rod, when you hit something hard enough, the spring will flex and touch the rod, completing the circuit, and making the sound.

>> No.392700

>>392568
>Expect, I don't want it to make a sound when it hits another sword (or a shield or something).
So what are you hitting? People? People automatically make a sound upon impact. Variably adjustable to force of impact as bonus.

>> No.392738

>>392700
You. I like you

>> No.392768

>>392700
Thanks, but the goal is to make it unmistakably clear when the sword makes contact with the person vs when it is blocked or parried.

>> No.392790

>>392768
I doubt there is going to be any pro-level fencing here, so I don't think you guys will have any trouble figuring out if someone's been hit or not. If you're swinging hard and fast enough that you can't visibly tell if you hit the guy or not, pain will be the telltale indicator.

>> No.392926

Just buy some competition fencing gear, or just make some yourself with conductive tape etc

Disclaimer: This will be the most expensive birth control I have ever heard of.

>> No.392927
File: 48 KB, 960x720, us.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ultrasabers.com or google custom saber shop.

I'm a sabersmith and have about 4 custom lightsabers built for sparring, the tubbing is as hard as kimbo sticks and replaceable stince the ultrabright led is in an aluminum hilt.

ultrasabers does them and sells premium soundboards and batteries with usb connections and downloadable sound fonts.

Instead of a saber you could just attach foam.

if you're a badass try circuit bending motion reactive toys to change the sound fonts. Pic Related, my dual saber / saberstaff, the core is a true red in person, not white as the photo appears. I have circuit bent soundboards from $20 dollar walmart toy lightsabers in them, better soundboards cost 80 or so, 2000 if you get some of the really good custom built ones.

>> No.392960

So you havent even started your project on these swords? You started the same topic a months ago.. Come on, youre never gonna do this.