[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 11 KB, 440x330, Humbucking_Pickup_Covers_sm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
38101 No.38101 [Reply] [Original]

What is the best way to paint plastic to look as close to metal as possible? I'm gonna try to replicate the gold finish, like the pic, but using only paint and need some tips.

So far, I'm thinking high gloss gold paint, polish, then clear coat it and polish again.

>> No.38111

Clear coat,silver coat, clear coat, gold coat, lighter hand gold coat, finish with a semi gloss clear coat to keep it looking shiny, but not too shiny to look fake.

>> No.38115

From what I've seen, the spray on stuff works better than the brush on. Polishing layers of clear coat should improve it but I don't know how close you'll get to making it look like actual metal. Your plan seems sound though. You'll need a very fine polishing compound/surface and you'll want to be careful how much material you remove, so maybe just a few wipes with a piece of smooth paper, then another layer of gloss. With more layers the safer it is to polish, since it's thicker, but with too many layers, it might look a little off I think. Not sure.

>> No.38117

Thanks for the advice so far.

>> No.38126

Nail Polish

>> No.38130

Aluminium coat

>> No.38135

>>38111

Lightly sand the plastic prior to this, but yeah, I agree.

Also, make sure you give each layer plenty of time to cure.

>> No.38146

Leaf gold, a little expensive but nothing beats it.

>> No.38148
File: 47 KB, 634x424, Mancini.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw first time on /diy/ is helpfull... and I'm not even OP

>> No.38260

>>38148
paint confirmed for /diy/ities' specialty?

>> No.39140

metalizer paint
http://www.testors.com/category/145620/Metalizer_Enamel_Paint

>> No.39143

>>39140

Careful with this shit, it's HIGHLY toxic.

>> No.39146

You could have a Burzum logo

>> No.40280

rub 'n buff