[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.47 MB, 320x240, quiteso.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
379480 No.379480 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk a little about prudent finances.

I have 700 dollars. What do you think is the wisest way to use this money, under the assumption that my basic and luxury needs are already met? Any suggestions or project ideas are welcome.

Please feel free to use this thread for your own monetary questions as well.

>> No.379488

Keep it. Put it in the bank or in a safe or some shit.

>> No.379501

invest in a gun or precious metals

>> No.379502
File: 24 KB, 304x265, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Invest in munitions.

>> No.379526

Hookers and blow

>> No.379528

Create something that has an average market value of more than $700, if it costs less than $700 then bonus points to you.

>> No.379530

>>379528
*If it costs less than $700 to make then bonus points to you.*

But if you create something then bonus points are rewarded by-default.

>> No.379548

>>379480
Silver, firearms, and munitions.

Silver is up 8% since Christmas, guns and ammo are also hugely bullish since the gun control debate is currently on the front burner

>> No.379560

>>379548
That doesn't make sense. Why buy when the prices are high? Now is the time to sell if you have it.

>> No.379585

>>379560
There are still places to find below-market-value firearm accessories that are easy to flip on the local market. It takes some homework but it's possible. Gun-related demand is through the roof. It's insane.

I just bought $300 of so-called "hi capacity magazines" to flip locally. I'm expecting to net at least $200 in profits when they arrive, and I'll still be undercutting the local shop's used prices for my new merchandise.

Bolt carrier groups (an AR-15 part) would be a huge profit maker if you could find them.

Reloading supplies are already scarce, and are a harder market to play unless you know your stuff.

Silver doesn't make sense right now, unless you find 90% silver coins (US half-dollars, quarters and dimes made in 1964 or before) at estate sales or something where you can make a deal.

If you really do your homework, the loose gem market can score you thousands of dollars in stones for several hundred in speculation (you will get some duds, though).

You could also spend that $700 and get a trailer to haul off scrap metal. It's not an instant moneymaker but it would be a way to make a little extra cash for years to come.

And of course, you can store that money in a CD and earn a little bit of interest, but it's very slow. Obviously, if you don't have a month's wages saved already, you should save for emergencies above all else.

>> No.379624

>>379560

If the high-cap and assault rifle bans get passed, prices of those items will probably triple at least. Some prices have already doubled. Anybody who lived through the 90's bans remembers the skyrocketing prices of pre-ban guns and magazines.

It's somewhat of a gamble, as with any investment. However, I've never lost money on guns I bought and sold over the years. Good weapons always seem to go up in value.

>> No.379628

>>379480
Invest in some equipment and build a lot of parts that take little skill to do. From a music standpoint: building a tube amp by hand and trying to make boutique money off it will fail; you'll make 2x your cash outlay and nothing on time spent. Effects pedals may net you 5x, again discounting skill and time spent...as you have no name in the business, you have no reason to be paid for your time and skill.
An enclosure maker for speakers can make 100 per bare 1x12 if made with clear pine instead of OSB or MDF. That'd be a 10x return in materials. If you could make a decent looking effects enclosure, you could sell it for 20/ea.

>> No.379641

>>379480
>I have 700 dollars

Educational course.

>> No.380179

Put it in a Certificate of Deposit

>> No.380261

>>380179
CoDs are not worthwhile with 700 dollars