[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 149 KB, 600x398, Shipping container home 01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
377031 No.377031 [Reply] [Original]

There's A LOT of idle shipping containers in the world, making them a cheap, stackable option for building houses.
I'm interested in doing most of a build myself...
How would I cut windows and doors through the steel?
Any other experience or information on shipping container homes appreciated.

>> No.377060

>>377059

*girder

>> No.377059

I know /diy/ loves them some shipping containers

But the price you buy them 2nd hand you could buy more in timber and iron guarders

you could build a house and foundation that doesn't look like a shanty town

I seen people use hay and concrete with a wooden shed frame to build better houses

>> No.377063

If you own land, this is a great temporary solution.

However, it makes more sense (to me) to make a more comfortable home using traditional building methods.

>> No.377066

>>377031
I really like the way it looks for some reason.

>> No.377067

>>377031
if you can't figure out how to cut steel then you aren't even remotely capable of building a container home.

>> No.377091

Shipping containers only work if you can get them super cheap. I mean like $300 delivered cheap. All the money you will have to pay to insulate them, mount them to a proper foundation, run electrical, replace the floors (no, you cant keep the original wood floors), and add shit like windows and doors adds up fast. So unless you get them next to free it will cost you MORE than standard stick framing. The only thing thats really advantageous about them is you can put them up quick, which makes doing the interior finish work easier.

>> No.377092

>>377031

I think you could use oxy-acetylen cutter.
Dont know how thick the walls are, it could be overkill.

>> No.377101

>>377091
Pretty much what this guy said.

I remember a guy on /diy/ made an actual small house out of two of these containers, and it ended up being nothing more than a poorly-insulated regular box-ass house built over the metal frame. He also decorated it like a complete and utter redneck hillbilly, so that didn't help him much.

>> No.377112

>>377092
it probably is.. the walls are corrugated steal about an 1/8 inch thick. It might be faster with a torch, but a cutting wheel or even a sawzall (though I wouldn't want to cut it that way)can get through the ones that my boss uses.

>> No.377151
File: 37 KB, 300x301, 1339824805684.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im going to use my /o/ trip and hang in here.

I am very keen on the container home idea. All of the complaints are fixed when you bury them a few feet under.

They become something that doesnt need heating or cooling, all the wiring is hidden in the earth so you simply dig a hole and fit it in.

In countries that do not have extremely cheap labour and materials (ie: not USA) you save HUGE amount of money.

Consider the following, you buy a single refrigerated 40" unit sans refrigeration for an above ground building, in this you have a galley kitchen, shower toilet and laundry, solar panels on the roof.
Its pre insulated and you could even just leave the walls natural, if you didnt care for ugly as sin shit.

Underground you have as many 20 foot containers as you want, but essentially you can use plywood walls and roof in say a dark stained maple, and trim around one end in plush velvet a long desk along one side with a monitor and keyboard etc and a big LCD on the far wall.
using a false wall at the TV end and having vents both from it into the room and vertically up and out the ground means you can put all of your electronics behind it and use the vents to either keep the free of their heat during summer and enjoy your natural underground cool temps, or let the heat in and warm the room up.

You need the above ground one for 2 reasons, you need a place to put solar and so that you can have a septic system, and it double as an easy way to protect the lower chambers entry from water during heavy rain.

>> No.377153

>>377091

The people doing this generally are getting the containers free or nearly free. They're so damn cheap it costs more money to ship them back, so they get discarded on both ends of the shipping lanes in massive numbers.

They're also generally poor-as-fuck countries that are always hot, so insulation is of little concern, assuming they even have access to electricity. They're 3rd world shacks. Or some granola shit by some filthy hippies in Cali where it's a comfortable temperature year round anyway.

>> No.377159

>>377031
>shipping container housing
You're a fucking moron, but please go ahead and spend more money on shitty shipping container shit, we love to laugh at you fucktards.

>> No.377177
File: 91 KB, 468x470, cargo-container-prefab-home.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just gonna post a few pictures to help people who are simply prejudiced against the idea on principle that they believe poor people can use it to built shitty houses only.

>> No.377179
File: 93 KB, 468x600, cargo-container-home-interior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

another of that one, interior shot.

This one uses pallets that have been whitewashed to provide a lot of the protection from the sun that makes these hard to keep cool in summer.

>> No.377182
File: 35 KB, 447x298, container-homes-hybrid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another just showing that they can be nice and classy and the post apocalypse look of the outside in a striking colour, maybe with some bullshit govt codewords or a biohazard symbol stenciled on looks great.

>> No.377191

>>377177
>>377179
>>377182
All three of these were very, very expensive to build.

>> No.377198

Making a shipping container livable is much more expensive than building a comparably sized house conventionally. Shipping container housing is the very definition of total bullshit. I'm getting sick of these faggoty ignorant threads.

>> No.377202

>>377151
Burning a shipping container does not make a sound structure. You'd have to practically encase it in reinforced concrete buttressing to make it safe for humans to spend much time in it.

>> No.377212

>>377177
>>377179
>>377182

Classy, cheap, pick one.

Those pics are not of $20k shipping container homes. I bet you every single one of them cost over $100k not counting land. That first pic of the 6 containers? Thats 1920 square feet of living space (24x40x2) and probably cost close to 20k JUST for the containers. You can buy a doublewide thats 1800 square feet for about the same price and not have to worry about wiring it, painting it, weatherproofing it, or any of that shit. Turn key move-in ready.

So, you either want a shipping container home for one of three reasons: You have a bunch of containers sitting around so it would be cheap. You need to get the shit build in a hurry and a container is a ready made frame. Lastly, you like the look of a container home.

So, from what I gather you don't have a stack of containers in your back yard nor do you need this shit built ASAP, so that leaves the last one. Now, go out and find some land, get an architect and start making your place. Bare in mind its going to cost you the same amount, if not more ,than a building "normal" home.

> There's A LOT of idle shipping containers in the world, making them a cheap, stackable option for building houses.

Two out of three ain't bad. There are a lot of them and they are stackable. They are not cheap. One thats in good condition will cost you at least 3 grand for a 40 footer. Thats not including delivery. Live far away from a major shipping hub? Add another 1k and triple the shipping cost. Anything under that and you'll be getting one that has rust problems, has been condemned or has had the tar beat out of it. Any money you save well be lost cleaning it up. And guess what? You've saved zero money! Thats right for the low, low cost of the same damn price you could have used stick framing to build a house that not a box. Interior, exterior, plumbing, the whole bit.

>> No.377215

If you can get them really cheap or free, sure, it's a decent way to start a structure. In almost every situation it's going to be cheaper/better to just build conventionally though.

>> No.377227

What you guys are saying is true in America where building materials and labour are cheap as chips it just isn't so in Australia and a lot of Europe.

>> No.377229

>>377151
>Underground you have as many 20 foot containers as you want, but essentially you can use plywood walls and roof in say a dark stained maple, and trim around one end in plush velvet a long desk along one side with a monitor and keyboard etc and a big LCD on the far wall.
>using a false wall at the TV end and having vents both from it into the room and vertically up and out the ground means you can put all of your electronics behind it and use the vents to either keep the free of their heat during summer and enjoy your natural underground cool temps, or let the heat in and warm the room up.

Wat. I give you a challenge: record yourself reading this out loud. Play it back in 3 months. Even you won't know what the fuck you were talking about.

>> No.377231

What you guys are saying is true in America where building materials and labour are cheap as chips it just isn't so in Australia and a lot of Europe.
100k to build a house that size in Australia is God dam cheap.

>> No.377241

>>377231
>cheap as chips

But chips only cost 99 cents a bag.

>> No.377255

>>377231
100k will get you a pile of shit here in america too, and depending your area it might be a condo at best.

>> No.377270

>>377031

they're practical to use for housing only when they are very cheap and plentiful near you AND you have an inexpensive way to haul locate and install them AND you can overcome all of their limitations. If you have to haul these things over long distances it's not worth it at all. They're nasty steel boxes with splintery floors, and weird corrugated walls. If you can get a stack of 'em dropped into your warm-climate land for cheap, then it's potentially great. if local zoning allows.

at the most general level -- world wide, throughout all of history -- housing is most often built with materials appropriate to that specific location. most of them don't "port". adobe in pacific northwest would be a bad joke. shipping containers 100 miles from a shipyard would be a joke too.

>> No.377276

>>377031
aren't there building regulations that prohibit buildings like this?

>> No.377381

>>377276
>>Regulations
lol

>> No.377394

>>377381
>>>Regulations
>lol
Yeah, it is pretty funny anyone thinks that it would be easy and not cost prohibitive to make something like this pass all the code and zoning regulations in place in most parts of the developed world.

That is why you were laughing, right?

>> No.378154

>>377394

Meh, it shouldn't be that hard to follow code. Getting the thing moved in would probably be the biggest obstacle. I live 15 minutes West of fort worth and there are no restrictions here... I have 5 acres though.

>> No.378163
File: 116 KB, 640x300, christchurchrestart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>377394

>What is Cashell Mall, New Zealand
>inb4 third world

>> No.378167
File: 444 KB, 1024x768, Cashel Mall NZ Raw 2 (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>378163

>> No.378172
File: 352 KB, 497x374, Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 3.19.59 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>378167

>> No.378174
File: 1.18 MB, 993x661, Screen Shot 2013-01-21 at 3.19.33 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>378172

>> No.378177

>>377031
would probably sort out the foundations first. you could probably use screw piles or some sort of concrete pad foundation.

>> No.378243
File: 146 KB, 447x298, 1358643724218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>377182
fixd.

>> No.378247

>>378243
So much want :*(

>> No.378255

>>378154
>Getting the thing moved in would probably be the biggest obstacle

Yep, reach stacker leasing or rental is about $500-$1000usd for non-commercial locations.
It might be and additional $300-$1000 for delivery charges.

>> No.379112

If you dont even know how to, cut through them you dont know enough to do fuck all, dumb ass.

>> No.379116

Why not do an earthship instead?

Probably cheaper. Definitely more stable, more comfortable, looks good (better than shipping containers, better than traditional architecture), and naturally insulated.

>> No.379163

>>379116
>looks good
>better than traditional architecture

I find them too...funky. I personally prefer the natural cubical minimalism containers provide. It's all up to preference in the end. And about architecture, it depends where you're from and what your style is.
You can transport Container homes across the world by just closing them and putting them on a ship, assuming you haven't altered their original form.

Also, for those wondering, containers and earthships are extremely resistant to earthquakes and that is a huge plus if you live in a country like New Zealand or Chile.

>> No.379172

>>379163
"altered the design" by say, putting in windows or doors...or plumbing... once you modify a container into anything even remotely house-like it's no longer safe to ship.

>> No.379415

>>379172

Well, you could only put the door and windows at the entrance (inside the normal container doors) and really not need any other windows... that would provide light to the front area and the back room could just use regular lights.

>> No.379417
File: 87 KB, 1500x696, DW311K-XE[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.379446

Gee, I wish someone else would post about how containers are more expensive than conventional housing.

I really don't understand the hatred that springs up in these threads, I mean there has to be at least one or two survivalist or PC ricing threads you guys go and get your ego fixes in.

If OP was able to secure containers delivered at $5K/ea. then his pic would set him back a grand total of $30K for what could reasonably be compared to the lock-up stage of a conventional build. That's pretty reasonable for materials that have a lot more structural rigidity (prior to modification) than a double wide or timber frame.

Because this is /diy/ I'm sure everyone could appreciate that OP might be able to fit out the containers to a livable condition with salvaged build materials in a rustic style for a reasonable sum if he were to do a lot of the labour himself.

inb4 "he doesn't know how to cut steel" because this is /diy/ and part of /diy/ is learning how to do shit because it's fun and interesting.

>> No.379449
File: 266 KB, 480x360, humpy_small-m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the australian summer would be so much fun in one these "eco" homes. The air conditioning would have to be extreme or you could pump water over the thing but i think it would just heat the water. fts. we can do so much better, rip the bastard containers apart and make something that isn't a steel box.

>> No.379455

>>379449
You would suffer severe heat stroke without extremely powerful air conditioners in a home like that in most of Australia.

>> No.379473

NZ was going to use them to make prison cells

>> No.379497

I was going to use containers as the basis for a bunker project i'm building on my land, but honestly concrete and steel is just plain better in all respects.

>looks better
>cheaper
>easier to build

If you live in a port city and have access to a truck that could haul them it could be worth it.

Otherwise building conventionally is best.

>> No.379498

>>379473
haha oh wow. that thin ass steel for walls.

That prison would be easy as fuck to escape from.

>> No.379499

>>379497

I agree fully with you. Reinforced concrete any day of the week.

>> No.379566

What about Missile silos?

>> No.379617

Insulating these things not to be an oven isn't that hard people. Though I am of the opinion that it probably isn't worth using anymore than 2 of these for building. Sitting 2 of these parallel side by side on some $1.50 concrete cinder blocks and leaving 10-12ft in between to fill in with traditional materials and a traditional roof would go a long way and be pretty cheap. Doing your own metal work and I bet you could come out with a 1000sqft enclosed house for under 13-15k easily.

The real strength is just using one of these things and make it to be movable. You could probably hook a chain up to these things and drag them around your property with a large truck or 4x4 easily. Also they would be more secure that probably any other above ground structure.

>> No.379869
File: 284 KB, 1280x841, 1350601090602.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

just give me ten acres on a stream and a shipping container

>> No.379871

>>377101
I remember that. I was actually thinking about that decorating job while I was falling asleep a few nights ago.

All that light colored wood paneling...

>> No.379913

Steel cutting blade on a skilsaw or cut off wheel on a grinder. Sawzall will work but leave pretty messy cuts.
these are pretty sweet too, but really not that much better than a steel cutting blade on a skilsaw
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6370-21

>> No.379947
File: 287 KB, 1100x733, big_dig_house_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're one who is keen on building with recycled materials don't be constrained by limited features of a sea container, mix it up yo. The structural features of this pictured house was built with highway parts - roads and bridges.

image search: big dig steel house.

>> No.379954

>>377153
>countries that are always hot, so insulation is of little concern

No. Steel structures absorb heat like crazy. Ever been inside an ISO container in summer? I could be 30c outside 38+ inside.

Proper insulation should at least have a heat barrier, vapor barrier, and a decent R value for retaining heat. The exterior of a steel building should also have a reflective (or white) coating to diminish the sun's effect in warmer climates.

>> No.379980

>>379617
this is the only reasonable thing I can think of for someone who is not an overpaid architecture buff.

Basically using the containers as two walls and supports for a somewhat traditional structure, supporting some nice large fabricated spans for roofing. Then you have a house with a large open floor plan and either two rooms/bedrooms (if you make openings and finish) or storage spaces.

>> No.379985

Don't these get awfully cold in the winter?

>> No.380697

>>379985
I imagine they're insulated fairly well.

>> No.380810

>>379947
>staircase on outside of house
10/10 would NOPE again.

>> No.380863

>>380810
Are you dense? It clearly goes from the second floor onto the roof. Think about that for a second.

>> No.380892

>>377198
but why would you say that? please cite sources

>> No.380898
File: 453 KB, 240x211, 1308095015693.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>380892
He can't. He's just an angsty teen mad that there are no threads to his interest on page 0.

>> No.380901

>>380898
lols. so im really interested in these since ive gotten in to survival nonsense. and these seem like a fun way to reuse and build on the cheap.

>> No.381105
File: 76 KB, 768x576, IMG_0539[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>377031
Have you not seen a donga before? very very similar. stacks and moves around the same way a container does.

http://www.modularvillages.com/donga

>> No.381170

There are better more reliable options out there.

When I lived in Texas and had over 10 acres of land, I build a small 2-room "house" if you'd call it.

Created the frame out of typical wood studs, lined the outside with steel sheeting and insulated it, put up drywall on the inside. Had /diy/ electrical but didn't need plumbing. Was about 1,200 square feet and used it as a workshop/man cave. Cost me about the same as one of those shipping containers. I did mainly everything by myself with my wife handing me tools. Only needed help on putting up the roof truss.

Miss living there. Now live in a condo in Houston because divorce/job relocation.

>> No.381181

>>377231

That said, the quality tends to be higher in Australia.

You really do get what you pay for.

>> No.382180
File: 51 KB, 305x298, 1347926204046.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>They're not insulated, so heating and AC will be a fortune
>They will rust. Badly.
>you'll have to constantly paint them unless you want them to look like shit and rust faster

it seems like a good idea at first, but once you think it through, its a terribad idea.

>> No.382188

>>382180
The refrigerated units are insulated, though they are probably harder to find.

>> No.382365

>>379473
they already do in australia

>> No.382376

>>377091
Not arguing the broader point, but why couldn't you keep the original wood floors?

>> No.382398

>>382376

have you ever seen the floors? NASTY. very hard, rough wood. chemically treated for waterproof and mildew, etc, plus gouged and split to hell from loads and forklifts.

probably OK for a substrate for "real" flooring.

it's a metal box, it's main feature is it's rugged as shit. if you assumed that, and that you'd have to skin and insulate it inside and out, and you could get them cheap, and get them shipped cheap, and local zoning allows it, then they'd be... OK. But all ti saves you is framing up some walls and ceiling. you can't sit it on the ground, it would have to be on (rather minimal) concrete pylons for a foundation, levelling, keep moisture from under it etc.

it's just another object, another choice. it' snot a magical solution. there are no magical solutions.

>> No.382422

>>377255

>100k will get you a pile of shit here in america too

Maybe if you live on the East Coast or Commiefornia. In the majority of the nation, 100k can get you a fairly large house.

>> No.382437
File: 27 KB, 525x351, starbucks-shipping-container.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Eh, Starbucks here in Seattle made it work.

No reason a house couldn't.

>> No.382602

>>382437

That is pretty cool actually.

>> No.382604

>>382437
So hip it hurts!

>> No.382629

>>382437
what a marketing device

>> No.382649

>>382422
The east isn't that bad if you're in the middle/southern part. In New England it's very expensive to buy houses or even get a decent apartment, whereas one of my relatives moved to Pennsylvania and bought a decent sized two-story house for only 30k.

Although a lot of people in my area (I live in CT) have also been moving all the way down to Texas.

>> No.382695

>>382437

now THAT is taking advantage of rail containers' features -- inherent stiffness. THAT is a good reason to choose one.

sitting them on the fuckign ground and emulating a ranch horu or whatever -- waste of time.

stacks of them with open space, win.

st

>> No.382696

>>382695

*house

>> No.384587

bump

>> No.384621

>>377031
>making them a cheap, stackable option for building houses
No, they're not.

>> No.384798

Do any of you live in an area threatened by hurricanes?

think about how much safer a strong steel building is compared to a stick house.

If i were building a house i would want at least a 'saferoom' made out of one of these containers or something similar.

I think its retarded to live in a doublewide. do you watch the news??????

>> No.385618

What happened? First few months /diy/ loved these things, now they're shit?

>> No.385656

>>385618
There is a fundamental of /diy/ which entails an inexplicable 'coolness hysteresis'.

Container haus is out - tiny haus is in

>> No.385665

>>384798
Insurance bro. If a hurricane is on it's way (you always have a day or two notice), get your valuables and take a nice week's vacation inland somewhere. Relax. Nothing you are gonna do is going to prevent your shit from getting ruined, shipping container or no. Come back from vacation, collect your insurance and rebuild, repair, or move depending on the damage.

>> No.385666

>>385656
so is autism in again?

>> No.385668

>>385666
wrong board - go ask /g/ or /sci/.

>> No.385690

>>385665
Earthbag (sandbag) house. Unless the floodwaters are completely over the top of the building, all you need are a few loose bag to shore up the doors and windows. Domed construction is virtually windproof (monstrous cat 5 might be able to knock it down)