[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3 KB, 475x213, 8509205.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
365900 No.365900 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone ever replaced an exhaust system?

What does this entail? Do I need a lift, or can it be done with a jack?

Anybody done something similar on their car and if so how much of a pain in the ass was it?

Pic related: 1997 camry exhaust system

>> No.365905

You need a lift.

>> No.365906

It depends on how much you want to replace. If its just the muffler or rear section(#5 or 6 on your diagram), then you can probably get away with a couple of jackstands. If its anything further towards the engine, you'll probably need to lift it

>> No.365915

If you don't have a lift you can dig a trench in your yard, park the car over the trench, and effectively increase your work room

>> No.365931

Ive done it using two jack stands, but its better if you have 4 of them lifting the car as high as you can get it. If it's a matter of simply bolting a new one (that is made for the car) up, it shouldnt take you more than an hour. If using two jack stands, I recommend lifting one side of the car rather than the front or rear so you have better access to the whole thing. If using 4, get it as high as you can.

If you're welding one up, fit everything and tack weld it one section at a time, then remove the new tacked together system so you can weld the whole thing properly without having to deal with working in tight spaces.

Safety first and all that crap. Dont trust a jack to keep the vehicle supported unless you want to find yourself crushed under the car. Use proper jack stands and all that other safety gear.

>> No.366353

>>365931
Dont weld the whole thing together unless its a show car. You cant replace one section at a time that way.

Its gonna take all day. Not an hour. Nothing on an exhaust that needs to be replaced is ever easy to remove. You are going to need a torch of some sort, a LOT of pnetrating fluid, a hack saw/recip saw, a drill, good metal blades/bits, and unless you are doing a stock replacement piece fo piece, be prepared to run back and forth to the parts store or to two or three looking for parts.

Its not undoable, just go into expecting its going to be a huge pain in that ass and if it goes easy then you are lucky and if it doesnt go easy then you were prepared. It seems like it should be easy, but its always rusty and a pain in the ass. If it wasnt there wouldnt be national chains that do nothing but exhaust work.

>> No.366507

Yes I have replaced a whole exhaust system.

No, you don't need a lift. Yes, you need 4 jack stands and a good jack to get the vehicle a comfortable distance in the air.

Assuming you're buying pre-bent and pre-welded replacement pieces, your biggest issue is going to be rusted fasteners. I never tackle exhaust work without an electric impact wrench and a big can of penetrating oil.

Also the exhaust gaskets are not usually included, you'll have to buy those seperately.

>> No.366600

>>366507
YES, in some models you WILL need to lift the car, some models have the exhaust going above the rear axle and you will not have enough space to take it out if you don't lift the car.
i am not trying to discourage you OP, but in some models it is a hell of a work to take the whole exhaust out, as he said rust is a problem and most of times it might give you some problems trying to take apart the connections between the pipes.
If you dont have specific tools for this replacement i would not recomend you by doing it by yourself