[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 186 KB, 956x960, Bob Vila.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
365606 No.365606 [Reply] [Original]

who are the father's of /diy/?
Who encouraged you?

>> No.365611

Who are the father's what of /diy/?

>> No.365612

>>365611
yes, more or less.
/g/ has Alan Turing, Linus Torvalds and, to a lesser extent, Charles Babage (the bitter crazy man he was)

>> No.365614
File: 12 KB, 271x178, Roy Underhill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bob Vila is a tool and can barely swing a hammer. So is that Ty Pennington ass. They are talking heads.

Roy Underhill is true DIY. Hand tools and hand powered tools, none of that power tool shit. 95% of his shows feature exclusively tools that were made before the 20th century. You can practically learn to build everything in that guys shop just from watching his show.

Norm Abrams knows his shit, but you gotta spend a million dollars to get a shop with all the shit he has in it. That guy causally uses like 10 grand in clamps on a project like we've all got that sitting around in our garages. Still, he is very skilled.

Adam Carolla, believe it or not, is a skilled carpenter. Not a master like Abrams or Underhill, but he can swing a hammer without killing someone. That was his day job before Loveline and all that. Hes a certified moron too, something he happily points out all the time. He gives me hope, when I fuck something up, that it can be fixed. Watch his show about rebuilding his childhood home, its a comedy of errors between him and his crew. It all works out in the end.

>> No.365616

>>365612
>(the bitter crazy man he was)
hey, allright

okay

you'd be bitter if a shitload of annoying organ-grinders set up shop beneath your window, too

>> No.365620

This bloke needs a mention

>The /sci/fags told him it could not be done
>He did it

http://www.eoas.info/biogs/P002355b.htm

>> No.365621

>>365616
Oh, also, I cast my vote for Dick Proennoke (I'm almost positive I butchered that spelling).

If you don't know who he is, torrent 'Alone in the Wilderness'. He's this rugged outdoorsman who builds a log cabin using nothing but hand-tools, and records the whole process with a camera he lugs around. Very worth the watch; and there's a few follow-up films, one of which is about two Canadian filmmakers who go to visit him when he's like 75 and still truckin' along.

>> No.365626

Always enjoyed watching Underhill with my grandpa. Abrams indeed knows what to do with wood but as pointed out, he has too much money sunk into his shop. The only way you could recover the cost for those is to do what he does, host a television show. In other words, you can't.

My encouragement came from my grandfather who started out by carving ducks and toys, then moving on to building all sorts of stuff. Unfortunately he has palsy so he shakes a lot and it makes it hard for him to do fine detail work.

>> No.365630

>>365621
oh yeah, I love that guy.

I saw a documentary about him on PBS. Dude got a bush plane every few months. Hid his food in elevated stores and built his own log cabin.

I'd be lucky if I could stay warm in a lean-to until I was "rescued" back to "civilization".

>> No.365652

>>365621

How does he hunt when he's out of bullets?

>> No.365657

>>365652
Most of his food was brought in by sea-plane every couple of months, along with any other supplies he needed. He would pan for gold to fund his purchases, then give his orders to his buddy to make to Sears, to bring back when he would come in.

>> No.365671

Adam Slodowy

>> No.365688
File: 309 KB, 1400x1344, Tim-Al-home-improvement-tv-show-30858729-1400-1344.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>365606
Tim tha Mothafuckin' Tool Man. V8 Pumpkin, belt sander dragsters, excessive use of dry ice..

(Al was cool too)

Props to my mother for buying her irresponsible 10 year old power tools, computers, electrical bits, and RC cars.

>> No.365693
File: 21 KB, 320x240, The Professor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.365697

Mother fucking norm and his million dollar shop.

I swear I've seen him cut dados with his dado blade on the radial arm saw, tablesaw, and router, all fornearly identical operations, in the same show

>> No.365700

>>365657

That kills a great deal of survivalism if you ask me, since food and other stuff like batteries or shit comes imported

Captcha: nodaeyt medal

>> No.365699

>>365606
Fuck i cant think of a single Mexican diyer, well not at least one that is on TV or alike. I dont think we have shows of how to do stuff and alike.

the thing with /diy/ is that there is not breakthroughs or people who set the rules in the old days like science, music and alike.

All we have is a lot of character who has made a lot of cool shit. Maybe we need a list, a list with wikipedia links and stuff.

are you guys in? i will start give me a second.

>> No.365702

Roy underhill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Underhill
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/

Bob Vila
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Vila
http://www.bobvila.com/

Jim Frazier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Frazier
http://www.eoas.info/biogs/P002355b.htm

Richard Louis "Dick" Proenneke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Maybe we need tiers and a list of fiction characters, llike tim taylor and mcgyver

>> No.365706
File: 9 KB, 194x259, mac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.365707

>>365700
You go build a cabin and live in the woods all on your own then.

>> No.365733

why no ray mears?

>> No.365745

>>365697
You'd do it too, if you could. I think my dad got so worked up about his shop once that he threw a magazine at the TV.

Anyone mention Red Green yet?

>> No.365747

There's one guy on tv my stepdad used to watch, where all he did was modify cars. To me even thinking about modifying a car at home was just daunting, and yet he would explain it so simply and so confidently. I'm not even really into cars, but that show made me think that maybe there were other "impossible" things I could try to do.

So far all I've done really is build a fence, but it's a start.

>> No.365807
File: 50 KB, 624x416, red_green.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WWRD. What Would Red Do is what I often ask myself when I'm really stumped on a project.

>> No.365810

>>365747
when was a young whippersnapper (16) I swapped an engine in my first vehicle ('79 Chevy Blazer) in the garage over a winter... dad helped of course - didn't do any fancy upgrades/mods or anything. old engine threw a rod so just needed to replace it with a running engine (salvaged from junk yard).
best learning experience.

>> No.365887

>>365702
>Richard Louis "Dick" Proenneke
this
>mcgyver
also this

>> No.365914
File: 66 KB, 900x529, homestead-plan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>365702
>>365699
OP here, I have to admit now, that one of the reasons why I made this thread, was because I wanted to create a site like this:
fourchandiy.com
A Place for people like US, where we can go and not have to look for >9000 hours and undergo pitfalls before we start a project.

It's hosted on a VPS, has IRC running and has vsftpd running, so I can upload infographics/manuals etc.
I will also dedicate a page to lists and keep a link to the wiki, if you guys make one.

>> No.365920

http://fourchandiy.com/Archive/fathers_of_diy.html

>> No.365942
File: 13 KB, 182x277, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>365606
dude seriously fuck off bob villa, your a goddamn sellout and everyone knows it.. do you even have any idea how many motherfucking endorsement deals you have to take before you get kicked off of PBS? seriously. you make me sick. now get the fuck out, and don't forget these.. safety glasses

>> No.365967

>>365942
Bitches don't know about by endorsement deals.

>> No.365978

>>365688
This!

And Marc Spagnuolo of WoodWhisperer

>> No.365982

>>365614
Roy makes me Jizz

>> No.365984
File: 10 KB, 113x158, Haege.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bitches don't know bout my Glen Haege.

>> No.365999
File: 81 KB, 565x376, adam_alton_jamie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The thing I've always loved about the Mythbusters is that they really lived it man. Sure, they get played up for TV, but the whole team has legit resumes.

>> No.366001
File: 47 KB, 225x225, Hank.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honk Holl

>> No.366008

I had never heard of Roy underhill before a few months ago, but I agree hes got some slick stuff. Never realized he was on Tv, I found him online.

I didn't watch any of the shows anyway. Grew up building houses with my dad and helping in his, and my grandfathers shops. Wood, metal, mechanical, electrical.

Did /diy/ not grow up with this shit? Got it from some TV goober? I'm no master craftsman, but no wonder there so much cobhouse shit on here.

>> No.366023

If I ever meet Bob Villa he is in for a beat down! The number of times I heard customers over the years saying ohhh durr hurr I saw Bob Villa do this in ten minutes,,,,,Durr hurrr.

That mother fucker ought to be locked up for the bogus shit he produces.

I bet if you gave him some lumber and hand tools he couldn't build a fucking dog house if he had a gun pointed at his head.

>> No.366026
File: 62 KB, 489x601, Jo-Brand-2_0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.366082

>>366008
i think it may be 50 50 here in diy.
i grew around tools and stuff so is natural on me, and my brother, but my other brother cant use a fucking drill or a screwdriver.

I think eveyman has a instict for doing stuff, cars, construction woods and alike, is a shame that most people know about this things from tv shows.

>> No.366113

My Dad. He's an accountant but he won't let useful scrap go to waste

>> No.366140 [DELETED] 
File: 116 KB, 912x684, 20130103_235817[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I got a couple problems maybe you can assist me with.

First is, the ice maker in my freezer works... sometimes. It will come on for a few days, then stop producing ice for a month or so. Its totally random when it decides to makes ice.
What the fuck? I usually just buy a bag of ice and full up the tray, and the randomly every few weeks I find ice cubes that are clearly made by it int he tray too. It will work for a while then go out again.
I JUST DONT EVEN.

Also I acquired a heat gun, the cord is frayed so I figure I can just replace it. I opened it up and it looks simple enough.
I got a wire from a surge suppressor that broke(the white one) and it looks even heavy duty then the original so I figure it should be fine?
Colors of the wires should be the same IE: Green=GND Black=NEG White=POS?

Also there is ribber bit on the old wire that fits into the casing to keep it from being pulled out, but its a solid piece with the wire itself so what do? Just glue the wire in place or what?

>> No.367491

>>365614

This show is fantastic. There's so much math in it. He doesn't have laser levels and compound miter saws and all that shit to do the math for him, and he has to do it all as he goes, but he shows you how he comes to his conclusions.

Brilliant, I say.

>> No.367497

Tim Allen.

/thread

>> No.367511

>Who encouraged you?

Nobody. I make stuff because I'm interested in it. Most of the people I know are unwilling to even try to do anything for themselves, and they respond to my work with either apathy, discouragement or, when I'm done with something, jealousy.

I need to hang out with different people.

>> No.367515
File: 24 KB, 275x492, steal this book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Believe it or not, Abbie Hoffman. He may have been known to the public as an activist at best and a scam artist at worst but the main thrust of his message was one of DIY. A lot of techniques and shit in this book aren't illegal or scammy at all, just tips on how to make shit out of what's already lying around and generally live with as little contact with money as possible.

>> No.367526

>>367515
Examples?

>> No.367531

I no longer have a copy (I stole mine; then it was stolen from me... seems only fair). But there was a lot of little stuff like how to make yogurt, starting with getting the good non-pasteurized kind by ordering it to go from a Turkish restaurant or something. Then a whole section on making furniture out of scrap materials. Its more the ingenuity than the exact ideas that inspired me. A lot of his ideas are outdated now but the thought process behind them, the brazen creativity, will never be.

>> No.367532

>>367531

was meant as a response to:

>>367526

>> No.367547

>>367515
This book was alright, except for the ranting on how everyone who works at a grocery store is a corporate shill and evil, so by stealing as much as you possibly can you're not hurting anyone who doesn't deserve it.

>> No.367549

>>367547
I don't recall him saying those things about the people who worked at those places, only the people who owned them. Its funny though, the majority of people who read that book were probably not on the same wavelength as the author at all.

>> No.367572

>>367549
My understanding from when I read it, which was probably at least 10 years ago, was that Abbie Hoffman wants everyone to fight the system, and that if you aren't fighting the system you're wrong. Also, he wants everything to be used and utilized to its potential, up to and including the theft of product from stores and individuals, unless they're a brother or sister, man.

Basically, Abbie Hoffman was a dick who seemed, to me, to want to get everything for free and to only play by his rules. And society was pointing out the bullshit of his rules so he wanted to take his game and go home.

>> No.367611
File: 109 KB, 800x400, wttw_1338852610.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Proenneke also passed the time by collecting ass-loads of meteorological and biological data and handing it off to the appropriate government outfits.