[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 9 KB, 300x225, th.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
365350 No.365350 [Reply] [Original]

This might fit in /o/ but I thought it was best here.

My wife has a 2002 Nissan Altima that she's pretty much destroyed. The car is falling apart and overall is just trashy. She's looking to get a new car but I want to do a bit of cleanup first.

The main problem seems to be gunk. She's spilt soda everywhere it looks like. I'm talking brown stains, coins rotted to the cupholders. The cupholders themselves have half an inch of dried fruitcake looking substance in them. Things are stick that shouldn't be sticky. It's just screwed up.

I tried googling but everything brought up how to clean the upholstery. Can anyone recommend products or methods to clean the spilled drinks and dried food? Is this a goo gone type of situation?

>> No.365353

Gross dude.

>> No.365380

uninstall carpet, then pressure wash it

>> No.365381

>>365350
Go to Home Depot and pick up some toluene (paint thinner) and some dichloromethane.

Mix them 50:50 and put them in a metal or ceramic cup. Place the cup inside your car on a camping stove at full blast. The liquid will vaporize and fill your car with cleaning. Make sure the doors are closed.

When the two are mixed, its no longer flammable

>> No.365421

Dont fucking bother. They arent gonna give you shit anyway. You might as well keep the POS and make the bitch continue to drive it. My fucking toddler takes better care of shit than to let soda set a stain. Geezus.

>> No.365430

Most center consoles come easily apart. I've taken mine apart multiple times and just wiped them down with hot water and soap. Also I have just used spray carpet stain lifter the ones that you leave and pat it down to remove the stains. Worked wonders on spill in my car from the previous owner. If you just take your time normal cleaning works fine just have to have patience and use some elbow grease.

>> No.365445
File: 36 KB, 638x351, Mike Brewer not amused.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>365350

Post on Craigslist with a $1000 OBO price. Mechanics/Parts Car Special.

That is your only option. There is no Wheeler Dealers miracle cure.

>> No.365446

>>365381

Normally I let trolling go ahead, but this is a really bad idea. DCM and toluene are fairly nasty solvents if you don't know how to handle them, and they'll dissolve most of the plastics in the car, then set the car on fire.

My advice is, alcohol/ethanol/vodka to remove most of the gunk, then $20 for a manual carwash, you know the ones with the poor homeless blokes who clean your car for you.

Source: Lab tech who works with DCM a lot, and toluene occasionally.

>> No.365447

DO NOT USE GOO GONE. Just as Goo Gone will dissolve glue, so too will it dissolve the plastic and rubber bits of your interior.

When I was a truck driver, I used Lysol All-Purpose Cleaner all over the interior (not the aerosol stuff; I mean the liquid cleaner that comes in a spray bottle like 409). Even if I picked up a truck after some nasty bastard had it, the Lysol would easily lift any gunk or stains. I wouldn't use it on carpet, but for anything else, it works great. You might want to spray or wipe some on, then use a stiff plastic-bristle brush to scour the surface and break-up the gunk.

For carpet, you can get cans of automotive carpet shampoo with the brush on top of the can. I've had pretty good luck with those. A little Febreze might take the edge off the stank in there, after you're done cleaning.

Oh, and you can also get those pre-moistened cleaning cloths from Armor All and Clorox. Those work well, and aren't as messy as using a spray bottle.

>> No.365461

steam cleaner or high pressure cleaner, then white magic sponge for the plastics, then slap your bitch for ever letting a major asset get in such bad condition

>> No.365472

why is it that women are always fucking slobs when it comes to their cars? obviously men can be, too, and not all women are, but in my experience, a woman's car will always have gunk everywhere and a shitload of garbage in the passenger/back seats.

>> No.365473

>>365472
Almost always, sorry.

>> No.365477

>>365473
o fuck, i feel bad for not taking care of my truck... shame on me.