[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 62 KB, 600x450, rockwall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
362705 No.362705 [Reply] [Original]

How difficult would it be to make a wall like this?

Without the curvature if that matters at all.

Most of my experience is with wood working and I've never done any kind of work like this.

>> No.362710

I would suggest starting small and doing some trial and error before you commit to a big job like that

>> No.362712

brick guys have trouble doing walls like that and they do it for a living.. you are going to fail horribly then wish you had hired someone to do it for you.

>> No.362714

Build form. Place rebar. stack stone. Pour concrete in form, expose stone with impact hammer.

Lots of work.

>> No.362716

build wood fence, glue rocks to it, fill cracks in with grout.

>> No.362727

>>362705
Check out the slipform stone masonry method for that particular style. Unless of course those are not just façade stone.

>> No.362738

>>362714
thats not how they do it.... please stop spreading misinformation

>> No.362740

>>362716
wood + concrete.. are you stupid or something?

>> No.362814

>>362727
Hmm, I think I may be able to do that.

I'll make some small ones first to improve.

>> No.364783

>>362727

Looks like facade stone to me. There are very, very few real rock jobs any more.

Rock walls really aren't that hard. They just require you to be sober and pay attention and not be stupid which is rare in any of the trades anymore.

>> No.364788

Looks pretty easy to me, might want to make a scale model or something first though.

>> No.364867

>>364783

Thats the problem with blue collar workers today. In my day your craftsmen could be drunk and still get the job done. No sense of pride anymore. Get a few beers in them and their quality control goes to shit. Thats why the foreigners are taking our jobs, they can hold their liquor when on the clock.

>> No.365360

Could do a CMU (Block) Backing, and then do a stone veneer. We call that Lick 'em Stick 'em stone, they're really thin and you just butter that back of them with Mortar and stick them to the wall. Some prep work though goes into it though before you just stick them on though, apply a wire mesh to the wall with fasteners and then parge the wall with mortar and then use what I believe is called a rake to make grooves in the mortar. Once that sets up you can then stick the veneer stone to the wall.

>> No.366038
File: 24 KB, 310x285, 35klvc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>364867

No they are taking our jobs because people don't value craftsmanship anymore. People pay shit and get shit jobs.

I did trades for years and I am finding other ways to make money now. Fuck these homeowners. They want to pay less than ten bucks an hour to get a quality job done. Most of the retards don't even want to pay for the materials. Oh what am I supposed to do the job at a fucking loss? No fuck them two or three fucking times.

And I tell you what. By the looks of it most of the homes I have seen recently are falling down around the homeowners years. Most of these homes weren't built to last twenty years. Time is up. They will be so far gone they will be tear downs. And apparently no one is making the kind of money these days to build new houses so I guess everyone can live under bridges and sleep in the woods.

>> No.366047

Sleeping in the woods is actually pretty nice. It's peaceful and you don't have to worry about assholes stealing your shit.

>> No.366285
File: 75 KB, 600x450, grizzly-bear_566_600x450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>366047
I'm not falling for your bullshit, bear.

>> No.367381

>>366285
I lol'd.

>> No.367411

never done one that tall, but veneer would be the way to go. I would use some sort of rough pre cut stone over a cinder block wall. I would reinforce with rebar and a concrete footing. at that height you will need to scaffold it maybe and build rough forms to keep the structural wall from leaning. be sure to prepare that footing really well, if not it will shift more quickly over time. the veneer work is more monotonous. you could do that with little.experience, but I would let a pro build the structural wall.

>> No.367417

Looks like veneer over block to me.

>> No.367561

>>362740
that is how they build the "million dollar mansions"

>> No.367565

>>362714

What da fuk?

How the hell are you placing rebar on what I imagine is solid stone?

How about this
-Pour foundation/footing.
-Mix appropriate mortar for work like this.
-Mortar, stones, more mortar, repeat.

>> No.367573

>>367411

What do you think the height is? 6 foot maybe?

If that's the case a single row of cinder block, with rebar and filled at least half way up would work well and should easily be stable enough for all this.

I have one to do on a dirt wall, and I'll be doing something similar.

>> No.367584

If you have the rock for it, just get a small stone chisel and chip flat surfaces from the top and bottom, either mortar or cement, doesn't really matter in the end, the wall will last 1 year or 1000, depending on how well you stack the rock. If you're doing the facade thing, there's at least 3 links in the first 10 in google when you type in stone facade that give a very clear walk through of how to facade a wall.