[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 19 KB, 300x300, storage container.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
345200 No.345200 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/, me and a friend are considering buying a shipping container (for hanging out and whatever).
The cost of the container itself is may be affordable (~£1500), but there are some other things we were wondering about:
-Possible energy
Some things we're discussing are solar power and generators (which we probably wouldn't want).
-Land to place the Storage Container
Having it in a random field or wherever probably wouldn't be feasible. We're also concerned about vandalism, etc.
Is there a safe way to go about this? Have any advice for us (we're both in the thread)?

>> No.345213

>Land to place the Storage Container
You should own or rent land before you even think about buying a container. What the fuck are you going to do, truck it onto someone else's land without their permission?

>> No.345215

>>345213
Seems fair. What'd you think you be the best location for it? We live in a fairly rural part of the country.

>> No.345216

What, you're just buying a storage container for shots and giggles?

Wait, I think I see it...
>buy storage container
>drink beers in storage container
>nuclear bomb goes off in city center
>no fucks given

>> No.345218

>>345215
enjoy being prosecuted for criminal trespass and the landowner taking possession of your container.

>> No.345219

>>345216
>What, you're just buying a storage container for shots and giggles?
Pretty much.
>>345218
We said we'd buy land faggot.

>> No.345221

>>345219
Well that clears it up. You'll probably want some amenities, like a mini-fridge, a television, maybe a small water fountain or sink. Where do you live? If you live somewhere with lots of sun you can probably power the whole damn thing with some rooftop solar panels. If not, you might be able to use some gasoline generators, but KEEP THEM OUTSIDE. Nothing ruins the awesomeness of your Bat-cave more than death by asphyxiation.

>> No.345224

Abandoned thread already huh?

>> No.345223

>>345221
>Where do you live?
England, east midlands. I'd say it was sunny about half the time (not winter). There are some people near my street with solar panels, so it could work.
>If not, you might be able to use some gasoline generators
Ideally we wouldn't have them. Do they cost much/require muchmatinence?

>> No.345228

>>345224
Excuse me, disregard that.

Solar panels might be a good option if you can bear the initial cost. They're quite expensive. Gasoline generators cost a few hundred dollars (US) and can probably run a few devices. UK uses 240 volts, so you'll have to check out local stores for details.

>> No.345236

>>345228
If we acquired some solar panels got that all set up and running, wouldn't there be a chance of them getting damaged/vandalised? is there any way we could prevent this from happening?

>> No.345242

>>345236
No one's gonna climb up a shipping container to break the solar panels on the roof. If you're worried about it, put a shield of chicken wire about a foot above it.

>> No.345244

>>345242
Yeah good idea, thanks alot, that solves that problem, now we have to be looking into buying/renting some land, what would you say would be better, buying the land for yourself or just renting it, over time renting it will probably be more money.

>> No.345246

>>345244
You don't already own land to put it on? I thought it was young to be house adjacent.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about real estate, so you'll have to look somewhere else.

>> No.345263

Whatever you do don't bury it. While they are water resistant above ground, below they corrode quickly even when painted/adequately drained. I have also heard the sides are not strong enough to hold the weight of soil w/o reinforcement.

FYI if you want to bury something use a school bus, you can pour concrete on top to make it even stronger/more rad proof if you wish.

>> No.345274

>>345246
i will start to look at prices for land to rent and buy.

>>345263

thanks for the advice, i think we will just be keeping it above ground.

>> No.345303

I think it would be sweet if you set up or bought one of those exercise bike generators for power. You dont need a lot of power and you could get in better shape at the same time.

>> No.345400

>>345221
fyi, 4chan auto nokos now.

>> No.345583 [DELETED] 

a trick for greatly reducing noise from a generator is to put it in a hole in the ground. a tarp and stones can then be used to protect it when it rains.
(source: 3 combat tours in Nam fighting the Krauts under General William Tecumseh Sherman)

> No one's gonna climb up a shipping container to break the solar panels on the roof

implying atalented /diy/erwith a slingshot doesnt think a solar panel is the greatest target in the world.

>> No.345584

a trick for greatly reducing noise from a generator is to put it in a hole in the ground. a tarp and stones can then be used to protect it when it rains.
(source: 3 combat tours in Nam fighting the Krauts under General William Tecumseh Sherman)

> No one's gonna climb up a shipping container to break the solar panels on the roof

implying a k1d with a slingshot doesnt think a solar panel is the greatest target in the world.

>> No.346332

I have to say, if we can get this sorted out within a few years, it will be great, somewhere to go chill and relax.

>> No.346731

i got to work on this nifty thing.

http://www10.aeccafe.com/blogs/arch-showcase/2011/04/22/container-guest-house-in-san-antonio-texas-b
y-poteet-architects-2/

>> No.346801
File: 36 KB, 640x427, speights mate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>346731
that's pretty cool
I got to work on this when it was first getting built, we cut and welded 2 large containers together and fitted some doors, then it got sent somewhere to be kitted out, all we got told was it was going to be a mobile pub, I thought 'fuck yeah!! a mobile pub sounds awesome..' then I found out we were sending it to the poms... gutted

>> No.346808
File: 3 KB, 113x127, 1326444447329.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>345263
really? a school bus is more robust than a container? that seems........
>Hmmmmmmm
>and more Hmmmmmmm

>> No.346811
File: 27 KB, 425x283, 1342959755773.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You're going to trick it out down the line right?

>> No.346812
File: 53 KB, 512x384, 1342959755460.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.346814
File: 19 KB, 261x190, 1342959754239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.346815

>>346808
>really? a school bus is more robust than a container? that seems........

Yes they're built to tough standards to survive a roll over. The concrete helps prevent corrosion and the bus top reinforces the concrete.

>> No.346816

>>346808
One holds children and is engineered to withstand crashing impacts. The other holds inanimate cargo and is engineered to be disposable.

>> No.346817

>>346816
for you

>> No.346819

>>346731
>>346801
These remind me of Stockbox, a start up that wants to turn shipping containers in to corner grocery stores.

>> No.346820
File: 433 KB, 2061x1129, StockboxGrocers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>346819
sheet, forgot the picture.

>> No.346830

>>345223
>England
>sunny
I lol'd.

>> No.346835

If you get a generator, get an old surplus diesel generator instead of a petrol generator. Less maintenance, better fuel consumption and lower noise. Hook it up to some marine deep-cycle batteries so you can run it for a while and store power.

>> No.346846

>>346816
>>346815
yes I did think of the kiddie aspect of it but rigid corrugated steel, designed to be stacked 6 or so high with varying weights inside with no windows just seemed more sturdy than a half glass shell covered in alloy sheeting, but then again ROPS is fucking insane how tough it can be so fair call
I was working in a mine once and one of the underground trucks smashed into the shaft wall, damaging the cab and door,(ROPSx10) we had to try fix it so the door closed without cutting/welding ANYTHING, 2 10 ton porta powers and 4 hrs later we told them ''not gonna happen, call you cert guy cos this shit won't budge without some mods''
looking back it is pretty shocking that they would send someone underground in a truck with a beat up cab that would possibly fail in the event of a collapse

>I do realize containers are designed to load the weight in the corners when stacked

>> No.346854
File: 16 KB, 300x240, mah mog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

also OP, have you considered making this thing mobile? I wee pipe dream of mine was to have a container cut down to fit on the back of a unimog, then have 1 side fold down to a deck like platform and have a mad sick go anywhere camper truck
>very much a pipe dream
>cool in my mind, not very practical

>> No.346946

If your locking mechanism is tough, vandalism will be a non issue. Someone would need to blowtorch in.

These things are metal, if you do not insulate them, they will conduct whatever the temp is on the outside, to the inside, quickly. They come with chemical pesticides on the floor boards. You will want to wash them out if you are planning to get drunk and pass out on the floor. Make sure you control the locking mechanism from the inside of the door, if you ever have a friend who is a dangerous jackass, being able to get out may become critical.

>> No.347175

>>345263
How water-resistant is a school bus? If you buried one, possibly reinforced with concrete, how would it hold up during a rain as the water began to seep into the ground?

>> No.347228

>>347175
>How water-resistant is a school bus? If you buried one, possibly reinforced with concrete, how would it hold up during a rain as the water began to seep into the ground?

Quite well I would assume. You're using the school bus top as the mold for the concrete. So basically first you'd pour the foundation, add school bus top, seal/water proof w/ some sort of plastic sheeting (not just for water seal but to prevent your concrete from flowing where it shouldn't and ruining your mold design), then pour concrete on top.

I'm drawing all this off what that old fellow used to build the Ark II shelter.

The only thing better than this process I can imagine would be to use a tank specifically made for underground. This however would be much more costly (initial price and modification of it) and somewhat smaller as well.

>> No.347231

I do need to research and see how many feet of concrete/dirt the bus can safely support.

I am also still curious on if I need to set up some sort of drainage system w/ gravel underneath.

>> No.347257

>>346811
Of course
>>346830
I shit you not, the day after I said that there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. Can't say the same about the next day though.
>>346854
Nah, we wouldn't be bothered about moving it at all, and as you point out, not that practical.

>> No.347262

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_Two_Shelter

Wiki doesn't cite the concrete depth but mentions it supports 14 feet of dirt. Pretty well built fuckers school buses are.

http://webpal.org/SAFE/aaaarktwo/photoconstruct/photocon.htm

Here's the Ark II page I found on construction. Seems the inside of the buses need to be reinforced w/ wood beams during pour but can be removed after. (I might want to keep some of those myself) But they say that after setting the concrete mainly supports itself (I'll still take the added safety of the bus frame)

Only part I'm confused on it it mentions black water waterproofing at the END... which I can only assume to mean the interior of the buses? (only that would be accessible)

I myself would think it would be better to paint the whole bus before beginning the pour.

>> No.347270

>>345223
Wait, Are you from Nottingham brah?

>> No.347271

>>347270
Derby. You a nottinghamfag?

>> No.347275

>>347271
I'm afraid so. City centre born and raised. You're still the closest person to me on here though, I guess.