[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3 KB, 144x275, mystery_tool.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
33639 No.33639 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /diy/, please help me to identify the tool on the pic.
It is used to scrape grooves in wood (or at least that's what I've seen it used for). I need a name or a place where I can get one.

>> No.34212

Pretty please?
I need to make a groove, do not have a router and when I try to explain what I need in one of those chain home improvement stores, I get a blank stare of a drone.
/diy/, you are my only hope.

>> No.34219

>>33639
>>34212
Is this a hand tool or a bit for a power tool?
Is that the top view, side view, etc? If that's a hand tool, where do you hold it?

>scrape grooves in wood
Does it cut or scrape? It isn't a gouge or chisel?

Frankly, your drawing is fairly cryptic.

>> No.34227

looks like a screwy portable hand planer to me.

>> No.34230

It is a hand tool. Shank goes into a handle, there are several different pieces of varying thickness.
The image is a side view, but the tool is prretty much uniformly flat (except shank).
You hold it pointy noze down and it cuts groove on a pull stroke.

>> No.34234
File: 16 KB, 400x339, RBadapter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

router plane?

>> No.34237
File: 47 KB, 450x355, FH05OCT_CERTIL_09.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Scoring blade?

>> No.34241

Also, I internetted "chisel", "plane", "scraper" and some other variants, but nothing looked like it or seemed like it would do what I need (1/8" groove 1/4" deep).

I will take suggestion for alternative non-power hand tool to do what I need.

>> No.34255

>>34241
I looked up "pull groover" but they look kind of different. Where did you see this tool?

Frankly, if I wanted something like that, I'd probably make it, but I do more metal working than wood working.

>> No.34258

>>34237
Scoring blade is too thin and pointy. It would not leave V-shaped mark, I need rectangular.

>>34234
Thanks, anon. The one I saw looked pretty much like a screwdriver, but this router plane might work. (Just checked the prices. Ouch.)

>> No.34291

>>34255
I saw my dad use it when I was a kid. This was 30 years ago. He says he has no idea what it called, he just bought a set from a hardware store.

>> No.34561

router beveling bit

>> No.34647

>>34561
not likely, bits generally have to be symmetrically weighted so they don't get fucked up by the rapid spinning.

>> No.34890

lookss like a lathe tool. is the edge at the top sharp?

>> No.35178

>>34890
The thickness of the tool is same all over. The top edge is actually a flat face.

>> No.35223

Quite possible that it was a custom fabricated tool.

The shank seems to imply it is supposed to fit like a file handle.

Looks kind of like http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/BeadingTool/beading_tool.htm or http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/ShearSpear/shear_spear.htm

I think it may be a custom lathe tool

>> No.35532

masochist dildo ?