[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 23 KB, 350x235, pullupbar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
322712 No.322712 [Reply] [Original]

i am building a pullup bar in my backyard

i am using

3x steel 1 inch galvanized pipes
2x 1 inch galvanized caps
4 foot deep hole
cement

is there any way to make sure its very sturdy?

>> No.322716

You're gonna need 7 pipes.

Make two tetrahedrons (triangle based pyramid) and connect the tops with a pipe.
It's the sturdiest design possible given those materials.

>> No.322748

>>322712

1" will not be stiff enough, and tbh i think the tetrahedron suggestion is from someone who does not often work with actual materials (though anon is correct in that that shape produces stiffness.)

for the verticals, a 1" pipe exactly straight up and down will have great compression strength, the problem is that in the real world, forces are never that straight, they will bend.

the horizontal bar, a 1" pipe will bend even with 50 lbs hanging on the middle.

The verticals should be 4" (probably 'get away with' 2" or 3") and the horizontal should be thick-wall tubing (not pipe) or solid. If narrow enough, you could probably weld triangular braces on the corner, to the verticals.

a 2" horizontal gas pipe might work, but might be too big for your hands.

if you are not super heavy, a 1" pipe might work OK for the horizontal if it's narrow enough. See if you can prop one up in a test configuration (tree branches, a porch, etc) and see if it bends.

If it doesn't bend you can probably use what you got. just test it first.

>> No.322754 [DELETED] 

>>322712
>4 foot deep hole

Unless you live in Alaska or you'll be using it as a laundry line tie, you will only need a hole 2 feet with cement. Are you going to be putting 500lbs of weight on it then swinging it?

For chinups/pullups the design in this image is all you need with pipe and cement.

>>322716
Why on Earth would you need that much support? I'm sure the OP isn't 2,000lbs.

>> No.322756
File: 18 KB, 445x382, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>322712 (OP)
>4 foot deep hole

Unless you live in Alaska or you'll be using it as a laundry line tie, you will only need a hole 2 feet with cement. Are you going to be putting 500lbs of weight on it then swinging it?

For chinups/pullups the design in this image is all you need with pipe and cement.

>>322716
Why on Earth would you need that much support? I'm sure the OP isn't 2,000lbs.

>>322748
1 inch is good enough for the cross bar. In fact I use 3/4" x 36" pipe on mine. I agree that one wider than 4 feet would need 1". The verticals on the other hand should be 2" pipe, not 3-4".

>> No.322773

I work for parks and rec for the town I live in. The recommended depth for static work-out equipment like this is 5 feet underground with posts driven by hydraulic press.

>> No.322781

>Unless you live in Alaska or you'll be using it as a laundry line tie

Now there's an idea, how would you go about incorporating a pullup bar into a laundry line. Just make your pullupbar then put another post acouple feet away and connect it for simplicity's sake?

>The recommended depth for static work-out equipment like this is 5 feet underground with posts driven by hydraulic press.

And I'm sure your local government has a nice contract with people who supply those goods and no doubt had a hand in writing the regulations. Is there any hard science behind those regs or does nobody question it?

>> No.322846

>>322781
> Is there any hard science behind those regs or does nobody question it?

I'd trust government safety regs over some random internet know-it-all (as if any other suggestion here is backed by some scientific study).

>> No.322848

then go ask the government how to do it yourself. I'm sure they will happily build you a pullup bar for 5000 dollars.

>> No.322855

>>322848
Why would I need to do that? The directions are right there: bury it 5 feet deep underground.

>> No.322973

>>322855

Make sure you get the proper permits and have it inspected by multiple county officals, you want to be proper and such. After all, the government and it's 10 feet of concrete are there for your protection. Best go all the way to be up to the correct regulation.

Have fun digging a 5 foot deep hole with your hands. I suppose you are going to have to rent a machine to do that. Make sure your licenses and permits for that are also up to date.

The government wouldn't lie to you about such things, clearly this is for your own protection and not so a few people will make some extra money. 5 feet of concrete weighs how much again? And you weigh how much? Oh never mind, put that nonsense out of your mind. Go make your super expensive pullup bar.

>> No.322997

>>322973
If you want to do a half-assed job, then just go buy a short PVC pipe and mount it in your door frame. But if you want a real pullup bar setup that's actually sturdy, then you should do it properly. Sometimes, people want to make real equipment and not something that's going to tip over if you swing on it wrong.

>> No.322999

>>322773
>5 feet
Jesus, we do around 2-3 for pretty much everything. Playgrounds, road signs, fences.

My laundry line poles are 18 inches down, and I do pull-ups on them. If you felt it start moving, you stop. I don't see how (even at the worst) there could be any catastrophic effects off this.

>> No.323030

>>322997

You do not need a ton of concrete to make a pullup bar, regardless of what government regulations stipulate.

>> No.323062

>>322712
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0_azlVthfQ

>> No.323085

This discussion makes no sense.

Look at how people make swings with pressure-treated wood. They use an A frame out of 8' 2x4's, buried about 1 feet. Add a 1" bar, unless you're over 250lb. If a swing can hold your weight, the pullup bar will work as well.

>> No.323109

>>322781
>Now there's an idea, how would you go about incorporating a pullup bar into a laundry line. Just make your pullupbar then put another post acouple feet away and connect it for simplicity's sake?

You would need inside lateral supports as described in >>322716 but not tetrahedrons, since that is over kill. Over time, wind will pull unsupported structures together. It can even pull a foundation wall over after a few years of use if the wall wasn't build properly for resisting lateral forces.

>> No.323129

>>323085
I know. Every time I see one of these outdoor pullup bar threads people are sinking the poles like fucking 4-6 feet in the ground. Hell the ones at the local playground that stood there for over 20 years before being bulldozed out last year were only about 18 inches in the ground and cemented. And, this place has winter temps that regularly dip to -15F

>> No.323170

I blame your camera for keeping everything in focus at once.