[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 55 KB, 531x800, l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
322073 No.322073 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /DIY/ers.
I'm looking for people who work with guitars or wood.

I'm looking to dye my rosewood fret board the same color as the Ebony fret board on the guitar pictured without any of the stuff coming off onto my fingers so don't say Sharpie thanks.

1. What do I need?
2. How should I do this?
3. Where can I buy everything from?

Thanks guys.

>> No.322077

Remove strings plastic inlays and metal bars sand down the feet board to remove the protective film buy ebony paint it and add a clear coat of acrylic
You can buy everything at home depot or Lowes or ace hardware store

>> No.322080

Black wood stain. Tape up your frets and the sides of the neck. Then use a foam brush to wipe it on, then remove excess with a cloth.
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/ebonize.htm

>> No.322081

Remove hardware, sand with fine paper to remove previous finish, apply wood dye, re-sand with ultra-fine paper when dry, apply a suitable finish.

>> No.322082

>>322073
>1. What do I need?
stain
>2. How should I do this?
put the stain on the wood
>3. Where can I buy everything from?
a store that sells stain

>> No.322490

>>322081
>>322077
OP, please don't listen to these guys. They mean well but doing that would fuck up your instrument.

You could also just try to stain it with leather dye. Since it's a dye it won't come off on your fingers.

>> No.322499

>>322490
Do this! Also you might need to prep the board with naptha.

Protip: StewMac sells ebony dye for fretboards but it's totally just leather dye.

google "ebonized fretboard" for more info

>> No.322625

>>322499
I found this http://m.instructables.com/id/Ebonizing-a-Rosewood-Guitar-Fretboard/

It says to lightly sand the board, should I do it or not?

>> No.322626

>>322625
do it. report back

>> No.322630
File: 448 KB, 1200x1600, Image058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just use lemon oil(like Dunlop 65) regularly, let's say every time you change strings and you will notice after a while that your fretboard becomes darker. The fretboard of my '91 Yammie looks dark purplish now. I can also see the grain of the rosewood, which looks beautiful, not to be compared to ebony.

>> No.322641

>>322630
This. I've been doing the same and it really darkens the wood.

I actually accidently used it on a maple fretboard and it became dark as shit. Wouldn't recommend that.

>> No.322643

>>322073
I don't think it's possible to paint or lacker rosewood and achieve good result bro.
I've never seen a guitar with painted rosewood fretboard, I believe there's a reason for that.

Also: I'd like to remind you to oil your fretboard regularly. You'll buy dunlop lemon oil for nothing, and you need only one bottle for life. It's especially important for ebony fretboards, but it's good for rosewood too.

>> No.322647
File: 82 KB, 568x402, Fingerboard02DeepConditioner6532-11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>322641
This is the oil I use.

>> No.322664

Fretboard dyes are fairly hit and miss IMO, often coming off on your fingers for a while and makes future oiling difficult.

I use lemon oil every time I restring and never have a problem.

Bore oil can be a good shout as it darkens the fretboard up nicely, too.

Try asking the guys over at metalguitarist.org - whole bunch of very adept tinkerers who can help you out.

>> No.322666

>>322643
Dunlop oil is shit, atually. I'd recommend the D'Andrea stuff. Cheaper and better (much less viscous)