[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 124 KB, 758x471, Michael's loft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
314176 No.314176 [Reply] [Original]

I don't really know where to post this but I've always wanted a simple, cheap abode, a small warehouse, industrial inspired room I can clean up, add a hamock, a fridge, a couch, coffee table, and a television set and perhaps if I have enough room, some dumbells, barbells, weights, and a squat rack but that's wishful thinking.

A functioning toilet a shower is a must.

Do any of you have any experience in this sort of thing? I was thinking of scouting some warehouses around the docks and asking the owner if I could rent a room or something.

I live in North Vancouver and the docks here have been refurbished and the area is amongst condos in a post modern naghboorhood.

>> No.314181

keep in mind warehouses are generally pretty expensive. I co-own one for my business and I can't say that's a good idea. I mean, it's cute, but it's really not worth it.

>> No.314183

ah your OP image reminded me of this guy
http://dornob.com/space-saver-engineer-spends-7-years-building-dream-loft/

>> No.314184

>>314176
big cities often have spaces like this left in the business/industrial areas, problem is getting a permit to reside there.

another issue is that heating/cooling bills can be enormous.

>> No.314185

most building codes will prevent you from legally using a commercial or industrial space as residential. Oh wait, you're in Vancouver...in the states the previous is true, I don't know about where you are, but it's something to check.

This totally sounds like a very satisfying sort of place to live in though; I just don't feel welcome and at home in a square of sterile white drywall. Something more open and personal, even if it feels a little industrial would be very refreshing.

>> No.314186

>>314181

I figured as much, if it's anything like renting office space.

>>314184

Yeah, concrete isn't a good insulator but if I decide to buy in the next life, I'll add those concrete panels to my place for that look.

>>314185

I'm not really picky, I'm looking for a cheap place to call home and I though that a small, industrial type setting might have been the cheapest but alas.

I too am fond of the industrial/concrete sterile look, you can make yourself feel more at home with rugs, shrouds, and furniture, ect.

I was also thinking of buying 2 Shipping containers and refurbishing them but electricity, plumbing, and heating is a whole other issue as well as finding land for it.

>> No.314200
File: 56 KB, 469x500, 1296503580340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>314176
I thought this design was pretty sweet.

>> No.314212

>Open up any web browser of choice
>Go to google or any other search engine
>Type "warehouse lofts Vancouver"
>Press the search button.

>> No.314218

>>314176

you probably won't get what you want legally; the legal ones are usually not actually industrial, just 'industrial-styled', and $$$$$$$$

the trick is to find small placs to rent from landlords who dont give a shit or are never around (eg. dont live there) and you must keep a low profile and maintain a front of not living there. get mailbox for bills, etc separate from the warehouse/shop.

we lived in many, it was always great, until it was not! they're cold, draft, energy-inefficient etc. (not talkign you out of it, but that's pretty much the case for the cheap stuff).

it will not be in a nice neighborhood. you have to like that. bums will be your neighbors, and you want to be on good terms with them. most are fine people, just have some issue that keeps them non-normal. our last place we let the guys get water from the hose otuside, just asked them to turn it off after etc. they were cool.

tl;dnr i made, sold a business, we moved to LA and bought a derilict commercial property (pigeons inside, etc) and converted it to a house. it had already been rezoned. got it for the price of the empty lot! so now we have a large main room, comcrete floors, surplus cabinets, but heat, a nice bathroom (i was fine with a shitty one) and a huge yard. we're lucky i know.

get some roomies, and if any of you have a small business, or want one, it makes a good front.

>> No.314272

>>314176
Vancouverfag here. Search craigslist for words like "workspace" or "artist's studio". Its the sort of thing you're looking for. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/prk/3283383353.html

>> No.314298

This was also once a dream of mine, but it turned out to be impossible where I am. I looked into it a little bit, and my city (and I'm assuming most other cities) have strict regulations about the use of commercial and industrial spaces. Its actually illegal here for a landlord to rent out a place for a residential purpose if the building is not zoned for it, with huge fines to deter anyone trying to do it on the down-low. You can apply to get the building re-zoned, but there are still minimum codes for safety, ventilation, sanitiation etc. which are different for residential and commercial properties. You would have to convert the building to the residential standards and have an inspection to meet code or it won't be passed as habitable. Even if it passes inspection, there are other regulations saying its unsafe for habitation if there's heavy machinery passing regularly, no streetlighting, and other external factors you can't control. Obviously rules are different in different places, but I think most cities have some version of this.

>> No.314438
File: 50 KB, 800x523, space.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've lived in a building at a railway yard for almost a year. It's sweet, but it has it's drawbacks like heating, and heating. But it sure is nice to be able to turn on the wheelsaw at 11 pm without having to worry about your neighbours.
Don't worry about illegal. If you can rent something, it's up to you how you use it.
Post some photos if you get there.
By the way, I had a 200m wifi-shot from a nearby building, as there ws no phone lines in the building.

>> No.314440

>>314438
> Don't worry about illegal. If you can rent something, it's up to you how you use it.

what kind of thinking is this?

>> No.314455

yes?

>> No.314463

>>314438
>If you can rent something, it's up to you how you use it.
This is categorically false in many jurisdictions around the world.

>> No.314468

>>314463
I do not recommend breaking the law.
Still, there is little offence in renting a space and using it the way you see fit. Just remember that an industrial loft is not your vanilla suburban neighborhood dwelling. It's probably also not a good idea to raise children there.

>> No.314493

When I Look At That Picture, I Just Get All Tingly Warm Inside!!
I Currently Live In An Apartment Highrise & Looking At The Space This Place Has!.......I Could Do Wonders!
Hard Tymes ~~

>> No.314560

Had a few friends do this (rich arty ones) they had a ball. Go for it, things to remember:

You'll likely get away with living in a warehouse if you don't party, but throwing parties if likely to attract attention and people keen on screwing you over with zoning laws

You'll likely be in a shitty part of town

Warehouses / commercial spaces usually have some kind of business rate that also needs paying locally

They get fucking cold

The security they have is built to lock the door behind you when you leave, not lock you in so you might not be safe from a break in while you sleep

Freaks hang around come rival areas at night.

Cars/bikes left outside will likely not be safe overnight

While nearly all will have a toilet most won't have warm water or a shower.

Unlikely to have gas for cooking, or kitchen set up.

Unless you already have a full kitchen and furniture setup you'll need to supply and fit this.

They aren't as cheap as you think, esp if you want space and insulation and light. Remember the people that normally rent these are usually making cash, big spaces can make a lot even just running a storage company.

You might be better off looking for an artists live work space, or finding someone that wants a warehouse or space care taking/minding. Often between rental clients warehouses lay empty and attract the wrong attention so some people get caretakers in (some even pay) to keep an eye until here next person moves in.

Good luck!

>> No.314562

Also, unless you love the external look of shipping containers, try really aren't a cheap way of making a dwelling.

If they are structurally sound then they will still be comercially serviceable, and are pretty valuable. Even unsound they have a high scrap value.

Then you need to insulate, wire and plumb the space, with they aren't built for, losing you internal space.

Cheaper to build with brick or wood, unless you love the look. Plus need to find a place to put it, which if no easier than getting planning permission/building permit.

>> No.314582

>>314493

Why do you type like a faggot?

>> No.314598

>>314463
law enforcement cares more about commercial or industrial activity occurring in residential zones, not the other way around.

>> No.314610

>>314598
>law enforcement
Cops dont give a shit about any of this crap. We're talking about building inspectors, utilities, zoning commissioners, city-hall bureaucrats and shit here, and if you don't know, they're anal as fuck about this kind of thing in a lot of places. Maybe you live in some kind of magical wonderland without government red tape, must be nice.

>> No.314615

>>314610

yes. from experience the only ones who proactively care really are fire dept. 'life safety' is their thing. dont be an idiot, and attract attention.

cops often DO care, if they don't like artistes/freaks and you are one. then they get VERY proactive. if you have people hanging out front in a street that's usually 9 - 5, then that WILL attract cops, simply cuz they're attuned to things that deviate from their norm. beer cans and garbage out front of back, same thing.

just be a good neighbor, basically,. the more you have to lose, the better you should behave publically.

>> No.315810

>>314176
are you filling the fridge with yogurt, Michael Weston?

>> No.315816

>>315810
SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS
YES

>> No.315833
File: 54 KB, 620x400, 1113659.bin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You're living in Vancouver near the docks... get an old barge and build a house on top of it.