[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 26 KB, 968x501, lapel mic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
308557 No.308557 [Reply] [Original]

I need a WIRELESS lapel mic system for my street performing but a professional system is (at least) $1000.

I had this idea but I don't know if it would work.
The FM transmitter is the one you connect your Ipod (or similar) to so you can play music or whatever in the car. It runs on batteries, will the mic be powered by that or do I need to attach more batteries?

The Mic and FM dongle both end in audio jacks.
Keep in mind that I'm not looking for amazing sound quality, just enough to do the job.

tl;dr
Would this work?

>> No.308559

Sound transmission can either be powered or unpowered. A normal microphone that you plug into your computer is unpowered, so the computer is what provides the power to hear the sound. Headphones are also unpowered, and it's the iPod (the sound generator, in this case) that's providing the power. As a general rule, female = power, and male = lack of power. What it means is that you'd need some sort of amplifier in between the mic and the FM transmitter, because both of them are expecting that the other device is providing the power.

>> No.308560

>>308559

The FM transmitter runs on batteries. (2xAA)
Would that be enough to power the little lapel mic or should I still add an amplifier?

>> No.308562

The transmitter isn't using its power to power the mic, so you'd still need an amp.

>> No.309166

Bump

>> No.309945

There was this weird Chinese microphone thing called PowerHear which would help you instantly, no soldering required. It has a built-in mic, a volume knob and a female jack output. Connect it to that Belkin digital FM transmitter and you got a sweet battery-operated wireless microphone.
But I have to say that it will whistle like hell it you attempt some live performance. The pros use dynamic microphones that have to be shouted at from small distance and the feedback wouldn't be as much of a problem.
vc: dionHo :)))