[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 43 KB, 300x350, net-blue-grey-button-down-shirt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
305433 No.305433 [Reply] [Original]

Hey there /diy/, I need your fashionesque advice.

I have a nice button up, similar to the photo.
Due to my sweating and living in Southern California,
the shirt is "yellowing" (discoloration from sweat and being in the sun), but only on the upper back and slightly under the armpits.

I really like the shirt, and how it fits. I was wondering if I could bleach it to a decent tan color, to mask the discoloration. Im just nervous that Im going to fuck it up. Halp?

Also, general bleaching advice, photos, and stuff.

>> No.305434
File: 106 KB, 600x418, bleach.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>305433

Random bleaching stuff

>> No.305435
File: 214 KB, 714x427, AcidWashDenimJacket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>305433

more bleached stuff

>> No.305472

I've had mixed results using a water and bleach mixture, some spotty from lack of uniform coverage when done in a bucket, opposed to second time done in larger basin where garments can lay flat. I also dyed some darker after, but most threads do not take to the dye and show up in contrast, unless light enough not to be too noticeable.

>> No.305473

Apparently you can use vinegar for this. Dilute some white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the yellowing bits, or soak the entire shirt in a bucket with distilled vinegar. Worse comes to worst it won't work, but at least it won't damage your clothes and comes out in the wash.

>> No.305589

>>305472

Thats mainly what Im worried about. I want it to come out one solid color, not all splotchy.

>>305473
Thanks, Ill have to try this out before I try bleaching it.

>> No.305598

>>305435
This one reminded me of a used cum rag and because of that I can't unsee >>305434 these as used cum rags.

>> No.305603

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKcUvGGIGdw

>> No.305644

STOP GIRL STOP. mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda onto the pit stains and leave it for a good hour or two. The pit stains will go away once you have put it through the wash. I just did this the other day, and it shouldn't bleach your clothes. It didn't bleach mine at least and I used it on dark blue too.

>> No.306170

>>305644

OP here. Tried it, nothing:/ Still stained. Thanks for your advice though. I dont know why it didnt work.

Im thinking of doing the bleach thing tomorrow. Ill upload a photo afterwards and compare the results.

>> No.306240

Hey OP, i'm not sure how you would go about changing the colour, in my experience bleaching is a very harsh method and could well ruin the shirt for good.

However, i've heard that OxiClean is able to remove the stains. Bleach won't do anything to them.

>> No.306241

>>305435
>AcidWashDenimJacket.jpg
>AcidWashDenimJacket
>AcidWashDenim
>AcidWash
>Acid
>Bleach
>12 pH

Yeah okay.

>> No.306264

What do you think about staining it another color?

My mom used to do that with old clothes and they looked new again, with a darker color.

I see that if you have to work in the sun a lot, it might be better to have a white shirt, rather than dark blue. But they might be good for other stuff than working.

>> No.306274

i can swear to oxyclean...i'm a big guy and if you soak your shirt in it overnight with some water and wash it the next day...you'll be golden....well not literally...

>> No.306884

Make a half and half mix of white vinegar and blue Dawn dish soap. Shake well, and apply liberally to the stains. Allow to sit for twelve hours. Rinse in cool water, but do not use any other kind of detergent or allow it to dry. Repeat the twelve hour sit, and then wash as normal, allowing to air dry. [Or use the "air fluff" setting on your dryer]. Stains should come out, and without hurting your clothes. I got acrylic paint and fountain pen ink out of clothes with that shit, haha.