[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 36 KB, 358x480, 6_imagejpeg_4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
304280 No.304280 [Reply] [Original]

Well, google failed me.
Homebrewers, what can/can't I put in wine?
Would houseplants work? More specifically, succulents.

Also, strangest alcohol you've made.

>> No.304289

I fermented Dr Pepper once.
Didn't really turn out...

>> No.304298

>>304289
I'm not an expert but I'm guessing the amount of shit in pop would mess with the fermentation.

>> No.304299

>>304280
Not to go off topic or anything. But does anyone have the image that has instructions to make hard cider in a 5 gallon water jug?

>> No.304300

>>304299
8/10
in before the guy who yells at people to stop posting it

>> No.304301

>>304300
But I'm Honestly looking for it..

>> No.304303
File: 68 KB, 347x700, 1324340635169.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP delivers.

>> No.304304

>>304303
Thanks op. :) I want to do this but substitue the baking yeast for turbo yeast.

>> No.304305

As far as ghetto brewing goes, South Sudanese buddy at work told me;
2 cups sugar
3 tbl spoons yeast
Put in 2 liter, fill with water, set for 2 days.

Dakaya.

Gonna try it as soon as I make it to the grocery store.

>> No.304306

>>304303
>>304304
>>304305
You'd save money and be sooo much better off just making gin and tonics with bottom shelf shit I promise you.

>> No.304308

>>304306
I can use my food stamps to make cider though....

>> No.304332

>>304305
what does you mean with "put in 2 liter"?
and doesnt you need something else than water?

>> No.304333

>>304332
Water, yeast and sugar. That is all you need, the sources of the sugar change but essentially those are the only three things you need to make alcohol.

>> No.304347

>>304332

A 2-litre jug, duh. And yeah, you need something else than water. THE SUGAR AND YEAST.

>> No.304350

So i was at the store the other day and noticed they now sell plain fructose sugar next to the regular everyday sucrose sugar, what would using just fructose in a brew do? also what is it that leads to the creation of methyl alcohol instead of ethyl.

>> No.304627

>>304308
>>304308
No, dude. Don't do that lol, even if it's creative you still don't need to milk the system for your alcohol.

>> No.304640
File: 77 KB, 850x768, STOP POSTING THAT IMAGE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>304303

>> No.304657

>>304305

why would you do this when the ingredients for most quality booze costs $20 or less for 5 gallons?

>> No.304679

Anything that makes jam well is a no go. Pectin gets turned into methanol by the yeast. Same for anything that can kill yeast or might have something to kill yeast in it: I remember bread making and using a bit of vegemite as food and it seemed to work well, but Marmite seemed to kill it straight away.

>> No.304693

Just to contribute...
Boiling a handful of raisins in a cup of water, chopping them up, then straining the mixture (discarding the solids) will result in a cheap yeast nutrient. They need to be organic raisins or at least free of potassium sorbate (i believe).
That and/or a cup of very strong black tea. Both of which need to be cooled down before added to the mix!

>> No.304707

Wait, succulents? Of course you can! Where I grew up we had a lot of Jamaicans, and I'd heard about stuff like this:
http://pickmeyard.wordpress.com/tag/gloria-williams-aloe-vera-wine-recipe/
Be aware that there is a latex compound in there that you don't want to drink.

>> No.304709

>>304305

2 days? Do you mean 2 weeks?

Also any tips on speeding up the process?

>> No.304784

>>304280
I want more of her O_O

>> No.304815

2 days, 3 if you really want to get fucked up.
(Unless I'm getting trolled. But I doubt it.)
I'm not sure why it would be so short of a time, but I put like less than 5$ into it so...meh.

I just got home and started a jug. Looks like the jugs of sperm that /b/ has going on every Christmas. lolololol so I labelled it *jug of sperm* in case the room mates get nosy.

>> No.304816

>>304815
And by "doubt it," I really mean "I don't care if I am getting trolled."

After all, this is the first time I even thought about how incredibly short fermentation that is :S

>> No.304817

Could the fact that yeast doesn't have to work as hard to eat raw sugar as it does to break down plants and their sugars would make it a fast reaction?

>> No.304837

>>304817
In this case it's more to do with there being a whole 2 Tablespoons. That's a lot of yeast.

As far as raw sugar vs fruity sugars, yeast metabolises sugars differently, just like us. Brewing yeast can't metabolise lactose at all (giving rise to sweet ales with milk as an ingredient), it can metabolise fructose by changing it into glucose, and it can break down sucrose into fructose + glucose. The enzyme needed to break down sucrose works faster than for fructose, so you'd find that sucrose is consumed slightly faster.

>> No.304851

You should not put grain based fermentation into wine.

>> No.304912

Question. Whats a good way to tell when the fermentation is over without using a hydrometer? Can you judge it by when the airlock stops bubbling or is there another way?

>> No.305300

My brother and I have a gallon of pumpkin ale fermenting beneath our kitchen sink. Spiced and shit so it smells like pumpkin pie, and the hefeweizen yeast he used is known for adding a cloveish flavor. Shit smelled just like pumpkin pie when we put it in. Our buddy got us into brewing, it's his greatest hobby, and my brother and I don't even drink!

Also, no matter what you do, boil whatever you ferment. Boil it to kill bad shit, then when it cools to room temperature you can pitch the yeast in. Brewer's yeast isn't all that expensive, either, and is available at a lot of hobby stores and some big beverage stores. If you're making small batches, you don't even need all that much yeast; most packets are intended for 5-6 gallon batches, so just seal up the packet in a plastic baggie and keep it for the next time.

>> No.305306

>>304912
Yes, when it stops bubbling, the yeast have eaten all the sugar and it's done fermenting.

>> No.305318

>>305300
Thanks, I should have thought of that :S this first 2 liter is going to be kinda funny anyways, I didn't stir it very well. If it sits for a while, and then I heat up the bottom of the jug in a double boiler, followed by a vigorous shaking to correct my bad stir job, would it hurt the yeast?

>> No.305328

ATTENTION ALL NEW HOME BREWERS. PLEASE GO TO YOUR LOCAL HOME BREW STORE FOR QUESTIONS AT FIRST. PLEASE STOP POSTING THESE SAME THREADS ABOUT HOW DO I KNOW WHEN MY BEER IS DONE FERMENTING? LOL?

Also for OP. I don't think succulents will really add much other than bitterness. Aloe Vera is very bitter. I think if you want more bitterness or subtle flavors you need more tannins in your wine.

>> No.305359

>>305318
If you get it REALLY hot, yes, you run the risk of killing at least some of the yeast. I don't think shaking would do too much to hurt the yeast, and I can't think of a reason to heat it to begin with, or why it would need to be stirred more.

But then I'm far from being an expert. Also it's being made in a 2-liter bottle; use what you're learning now as valuable experience, and when you can, get some 1-gallon or larger glass bottles. The first thing I'd suggest is a book, though. All the info you need at your fingertips.

Best of luck to you and your brew.

>> No.305374

>>305328
I understand and agree with what you're saying, I see those threads all the time. However I can't be bothered to drive 45 minutes to a place with ornery workers (why? you work an awesome job) whether I killed my yeast just now.

>>304912
This isn't me btw, not sure why he posted in this thread, should've saged for unrelated

>> No.305376

The guy who told me how to make dakia (as he told me it's spelled today, it's pronounced dah-kai-ah if anyone cares) mentioned that it's used to make a much harder drink called moncho. Another guy I work with told us that his sister or something is still over there, and in their tribe it was mainly the women who cooked it up.

No fucks given, I told him to ask her next time they talk. Normally I'd just distill it, but the way he described it was either

a.) some home-rigged distillery that might be interesting to know how to make or
b.) a specific way to cook up moncho that can't be replicated by distillation.

Of course, I'm a very VERY amateur brewer atm so maybe I'm overthinking it.

>> No.305379

>>305376
Just remember, if you're distilling for your own use, it's okay. If you sell it, gubmint gonna knock your door down.

>> No.305909
File: 444 KB, 765x646, 1349492073568.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made mango honey strawberry bannana with a hint of blueberry and blood orange wine 5 gallons and really strong and dry but refreshing and easy to drink. didnt last long unfortunately

>> No.305910

http://www.blacktable.com/gillin030901.htm

>> No.306347

My strangest acomahol is probably my apple-plum-cloudberry wine. Was really good actually.

>> No.306360

>>304304
IT'S A FUCKING TRAP.
Turbo yeasts make so much fucking fusel alcohol, undistilled turbo yeast brew tastes so god damn bad, and nothing will cover up that stupid taste. Just suck it up and take longer for a weaker product.

>> No.307854

>>306360
Agreed. Stay away from that shit.