[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 102 KB, 500x256, carnivore_support_group.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
303863 No.303863 [Reply] [Original]

Wild hogs are a big problem in my state. My 86 year old grandpa owns some land and has asked me to try and remove them (or at least some) from the property, since they outcompete the local wildlife.

I know I can buy a welded steel-frame trap but there's no challenge in that. I was wondering if /diy/ had any ideas on this. My main limitations for this project are say, a $200 budget and a lack of welding equipment.

>Portability is not required
>All-weather and high UV tolerance
>Spring-loaded or gravity door
>Able to hold 200 pounds of angry muscle and tusks for 6 hours
>Ceiling not mandatory, pigs don't fly yet

I'm thinking that a smaller trap will be more durable, as the hog won't have the ability to build up momentum and break out. On the other hand, a large "pen" with a one-way door could catch several pigs at once.

>> No.303866

In addition, I had the following thoughts on preventing an easy escape from a pen-type trap.

>Foot snares anchored to ground inside trap
>Tripwires (airplane cable) strung across interior of trap to prevent high-energy charges
>Potholes/trenches dug into floor of trap, to prevent charging

/k/ suggested feeding them fermented corn to keep them drunk

>> No.303867

Make a pitfall. Put punji stakes at the bottom for ease.

>> No.303868
File: 9 KB, 320x240, 30263916_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Ceiling not mandatory, pigs don't fly yet
Unless it's a chazzer

>> No.303870

>>303867
Would prefer a live-trap option so they are fresher when I visit /ck/

Dead animals begin to decay extremely quickly in South Texas

>> No.303873

Trap? Why not just shoot? A good 12ga pump and some slugs ought to do it.

>> No.303874

>>303873
quantity

you only get one shot

>> No.303875

>>303870
Regular pitfall will be the cheapest. You could use some strong fencing to reenforce the walls. Issue is that you're probably not going to get multiple and if you do they'll probably kill each other.

>> No.303885

>>303863
$100 per hunter for 30 days of hunting rights.
I don't know about Texas, but here in Michigan they are a pest species.
I think it's something like, if you see a wild hog, you can kill it and it doesn't count against any bag limits for anything. Small Game/Deer/whatever season included.

Private land, you say? Go nuts.

>> No.303892

Pour some diesel on some corn in a 5 gallon bucket... The diesel with corn will deter other animals but not wild hogs.. The diesel won't hurt the hogs, watch out for scar marks on ground when looking for hogs as the are aggressive and can come up on you quickly.. I've had little luck with trapping.. But tips are to not piss in trap, put corn mixed with diesel in trap, don't shoot coons that get stuck in trap as it scares away wild pigs, and easiest way is to just get pig that's in heat put it in pen or tied to rope and sit there and wait for the wild boar to come.. They'll come

>> No.303906

>>303885
Same in Missouri I think

check with the conservation dept. OP

>> No.303911
File: 34 KB, 402x271, still1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hi, OP here
Thanks for the responses. I'm familiar with baiting options, I'm hoping for more insight on trap design

To those who are wondering, hogs are considered a "kill on sight" pest in Texas. You can bait them, trap them, shoot them at night, or hunt them out of helicopters.

unrelated pic as small way of thanks

>> No.303927

pitfall without spikes? line the walls with chainlink or something so it can't collapse the thing on itself

>> No.303975

>>303911
what is this?

>> No.303986

>>303866
>>Foot snares anchored to ground inside trap
I don't think you should use snares, as they can cause injury indiscriminately.

A simple pen trap using fencing would be really cheap. Having the door triggered by moving or removing the bait would increase the chances of the door closing only when something is inside.

If I wanted multiple catches in a single trap, I'd probably put plenty of bait, multiple doors, and have it triggered by a great enough weight for the simple route. I'd probably also build multiple smaller cheap traps in an area instead of trying to catch a bunch at single trap.

The potholes for charging prevention should work, and you can also place the trap around trees or add obstacles that prevent them from running in a straight line (short logs placed vertically, 5 gallon buckets of dirt, whatever).

>> No.303993

I think a simple pen with a door that is hinged at the top and slanted at a 45 degree angle would work. You'd use bait to lure the pigs. The pigs would enter by pushing on the slanted door to lift it up. They enter and the door slides down behind them. The door would be made of whatever tough fencing would normally work for a pig to stand on once it was inside if it decided to do that.

Obviously, you need tailor certain things to your own needs, but you should be able to catch multiple pigs with this.

>> No.304026

Snares are your best bet. $200 can buy you a lot of snare wire. Rig up dozens of snares, toss out some corn and wait.

If I was you, I'd just go out on the weekends, set your snares on friday night and take your snares out on sunday evening before you leave. If you're there and able to check them frequently you shouldn't lose much meat.

I wouldn't try to live trap wild hogs. They are big, mean and smart animals. A big boar is probably going to destroy any homemade live trap you try to rig together. And after one or 2 gets caught the rest might get wise to the live trap and avoid it. Snares are a lot easier to move and disguise.

>> No.304038
File: 84 KB, 1832x1060, hog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>303993
basic idea

the slated part is the where the pig approaches and pushes on the gate which can be counter weighted a little. The pig goes in and the gate closes behind leaving a fence they can't get through, unless they try to lift it and get lucky of course.

>> No.304094
File: 54 KB, 640x480, 12-01-07_0737.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>303986
> I don't think you should use snares, as they can cause injury indiscriminately.

You do realize that we're talking about wild boars here, right?
>they can cause injury indiscriminately.
Fixed
They WILL eat you, your dog or your children, given the chance.
Pic related is a closeup of the maw of a wild hog shot in Texas. Can you imagine what one of these would do to you if encountered?

>> No.304101

>>304094
I think he means the snare traps may catch and harm other animals like dogs, cats, livestock, kids, etc.

>> No.304104

>>303873
I would suggest a decent scoped rifle, at least 223. But yea, that. IF it is legal, of course.

Go for headshots, and just leave them to die. Do not approach.

Hogs don't look like much but they occasionally injure hunting dogs so bad that the dogs have to be put down.

>> No.304119

>>304101
Yes, but these creatures are less-likely to be in the same area as the top-tier predator that is a 200lb boar.

>> No.304145

I don't envy you one bit for having to deal with this. But since you say their a pest species, are wild hogs able to be hunted efficiently from a treestand? If so, that's what I would do.

Damn are they mean though. I went bow hunting for hogs once in Tennessee and I'll not do it again anytime soon.

>> No.304147

You'd be better suited getting something chambered in .30-30 or 7.62x39 to be honest...

>> No.304176

>>303863
OP i thought of a way for you to get rid of them, and make some money.

print out some posters e.g
>BIG BOAR HUNTING!
>lots of boars to hunt
>only $xxyy only pay if you make a kill
>$xxyy per kill
contact anon
or
anon@hotmail.com

put the posters on lamposts, shops, facebook.
give all the money you make you your grandad.

gl

>> No.304188

>>303863
> My main limitations for this project are say, a $200 budget and a lack of welding equipment.
>$200 budget

-Mail-order Mosin Nagant + transfer fee: $115-ish
-Spam can of 7.62x54R: $45
-Scraps for bait: $0
-Alcohol and munchies: $whatever you have left

There, no more hogs

>>304176
fullretard.jpg

>> No.304995
File: 14 KB, 300x168, imagesCAHV2BSW.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

use pic-related and the fermented corn when multiple pigs show up and get caught DONT SHOOT THEM THERE bring some stupid/brave friends and catch them bring them somewhere else to kill them. If you kill them there the remaining pigs will never go back in to the trap.
one thing I want to do is here in louisiana, we can use any means to kill them. I want to kill some with a .223 with suppresser and heat vision, both are legal.

>> No.304998
File: 7 KB, 295x171, imagesCA1MZ1QQ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>304995
continued
pigs are smart but not as mean as people think. the reason people say they are mean is they are trying to kill them, wouldnt you be pissed and try to hurt your killers. If you are calm, slow, and quiet you wont get them angry. now a big boar is very strong but as long as they have enough room to move they wont tear the cage up. fact pigs wont jump, so a fence that is about 3 ft tall is enough.
pic-related is a more permanent live trap.
P.S. the head gate is sold at most tractor supply stores for about 200 the fence and post shouldnt be much more

>> No.305007

Is board meat good to eat?

>> No.305021

>>305007
if you mean boar then yes, there are several things you have to do to make sur ethe meat is good. 1. make sure the boar is not mad or angry when you kill him. 2. kill him quickly and quietly with a round to the soft spot behind the earinto the brain. 3. quickly get in there and cut his testicles off, the faster you do this the more likely the meat will be good still. If you didnt do the above steps the meat will taste like turpentine. you could remedy this by soaking the carcase (after the head hide and guts are out) in a large ice chestfilled with water and covered in ice for about 1-2 weeks. we do this for all animals we kill to eat it gets rid of any gamey flavor in the meat

>> No.305023

>>305007

Yeah, the quality can be pretty close to store-bought pork though it's very lean. Heck, there are fancy places that sell "gourmet" wild boar meat to rich people for upwards of $10/lbs.

The ones you want to eat are the females and males who were castrated >6 months ago (their meat is noticeably tougher otherwise.) People that are interested in eating the males will either castrate, tag, release and recatch them or castrate them and pen them until slaughter. The larger males (>400 lbs or so) aren't very good no matter what you do with them.

You also want to make sure to cook it really well, since they can carry trichinosis.

Some people will buy boar; it won't be much, but if they're willing to buy them live and you have more than you can easily handle/store it can be worth it. There was a guy in Shawnee that bought them for $0.05/lb live weight, you could probably find something similar near you.

>> No.305051

wow, i'd forgotten that diy was this potato

>>304998
>>304995

these are the only legitimate options posted in the thread, if hunting (dog or gun) is not an option/your cup of tea, however >>304998
seems to think that hogs can't get out of a 3' high enclosure, when I've had them escape over 5', so go ahead and build it high, it's easy.

you dont want to kill a boar when he has a lot of adrenaline/testosterone in his body, SO:

If he's wild, and you're close, he's mad.
If he's captive, you obviously caught him, and it would be easy to castrate him, so you might as well make the meat that much better.

Chances are if there are alot in your area, you can pretty easily make some friends that are in the hobby of getting rid of them. I personally like a couple cur dogs and one or two gritty catch dogs, and chances are that's the type of person you're gonna most easily find, but if you want to sell the boars with the larger teeth/find someone to get rid of excess sows/small boars in your trap you dont wanna bother butchering you'll at least have contacts.

>> No.305076

Whoa!

This thread is still alive?
Thanks for the contributions everyone. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a large "pen trap" like the good Anons ITT suggest. Going to go ahead and aim for a 5 foot fence, we have some big pigs down there.

I like the live pen because it gives the option to "feed them out" for a few days before slaughtering them. Supposedly this makes the meat significantly better.

>>304188
I've already got a Nugget and several other firearms at my disposal.

>> No.305083

>>305076
I had a ton of hogs being panzy fucks on my land a few years ago. Here's the BEST method I've found.

>Dig deep & wide hole like 5 feet deep x 15 ft wide x 15ft long
>Use cobble stone/bricks/what ever to make a wall so the dirt doesn't cave in at the first sight of rain & stick tarp beind it so it's dirt then tarp then brick
>Build trap on ground level and have it as a cage with no back side built into a lever system
>Right when the hog walks into it the door shuts and it has nowhere to go but foward
>By going foward the lever system makes the cage go at a angle and sends the hog right into the hole

You can trap litterly dozens of hogs & there is zero chance of escape.

>> No.305087

>>304188
>Spam can $45
Where in the hell are you buying your ammo? The lowest I've seen a spam can of mosin food is $89.99 with free shipping.

>> No.305091

>>305083
You know something? That's not bad. Not bad at all. the same principal as the pen but requires less post-driving.

>> No.305092

>>305091
Yea and I used steel sheets for the walls and have a center wooden post inside the cage going from 5ft below ground level to 3 feet above ground level so in the wet season I can toss a tarp over it and ancher it down.

>> No.305096

>>305092
Got any pictures perchance? I'm kind of liking this idea. I have some scrap metal sheeting down at the ranch already. Digging it would be a bitch but I have a spade and could use the exercise.

>> No.305098

>>303863
mid-tn guy here, we built a door with a pin in it that was attached to a board that the hog had to step on to enter the trap, the door rode in some angle iron rails, the sides were goat panels bought from TSC and nailed to some trees, we put the door in a narrow gap. cost us about $60 and we just bolted the shit together

>> No.305100

>>305098
+1 internet

Now this thread is getting /diy/

Any pics? or maybe a simple diagram?

>> No.305109

>>305096
No pictures of it as I'm off site posting from a phone.

Got to go now to pump up my tank. I'll look back in a hour or two.

>> No.305891

>>303863
aside from getting a GUN, I would NOT recomend you getting yourself anywhere NEAR them.

These things are like wolves with pig skins. They live in packs. They will attack cars. They will get you off of your feet and to the ground before you know it.

This isn't a joke - please be careful! Gun! GUN!

>> No.305923

Mossberg offers a 30-06 for around $200, don't they? Or maybe you could find a good high-powered rifle used at a gun shop. That's the route to take, OP. Fuck traps; hogs are violent, vicious things when they're feral. You NEED a gun, plenty of ammo and a safe, high-up place to shoot from.

I've heard stories of boar hunters getting stranded in a tree because they didn't bring enough ammo to pick off the whole pack, and the fuckers will just wait for you to come down so they can kill you. Use a damned powerful gun and plenty of ammo. Any trap you set up will just get bent or otherwise torn up. Don't worry about fresh meat; there's always more hogs to kill.

>> No.305933

>>305923
>Use a damned powerful gun and plenty of ammo
My uncle has a .375 H&H and an antique .45-70 that he likes to hunt boar with. Kills with those are always hilarious, especially when it's a small pig.

>> No.306086

>>305933
I use a 30-06 for hunting hogs.
I hit head shots and blows their head to shit.
once accidentally hit a little further back and hit the ribs. other half of ribs were blown off and innards were everywhere...

>> No.306110

What about getting a female hog, infecting her with pig aids, and release her into the wild?