[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 16 KB, 200x300, the-war-of-art-200x300[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
303478 No.303478 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/. How do you motivate yourself to start a project? For me, starting is the hardest part. Once i get started I find it easy to finish, but I have trouble forcing myself to start it in the first place.

>> No.303492

You just kinda have to power through and start.

I forget where I heard it, I think some comic actually, but one of my favorite sayings is "All the important things in life are simple. All the simple things are hard." That's been very true in my experience.

>> No.303494

take a pharmaceutical product, like a few lorotabs or a Roxy. When it kicks in run to your tool shed or wherever you keep your materials. If nothing else, just organize while you're speeding and come back later to a well organized canvas. Take notes while high and make diagrams while high. And don't forget safety. That is all.

>> No.303497

Sit down with a clean slate and make the plan. Then when you feel like you've put in a solid 15 minutes work and feel like watching /tv/ or masturbating, DON'T! Keep working at it.

>> No.303498

Also, it gets easier the more you do it. Aristotle was actually quite right:

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation: we do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have these because we have acted rightly; 'these virtues are formed in man by his doing the actions'; we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit: 'the good of man is a working of the soul in the way of excellence in a complete life... for as it is not one swallow or one fine day that makes a spring, so it is not one day or a short time that makes a man blessed and happy'"

We are what we repeatably do. As you do things, they become easier (generally.) Now it's a lot easier to start for me than it was when I was younger.