[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 56 KB, 892x338, pedalpower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
300927 No.300927 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.stealthelectricbikesusa.com/order.html

I love this idea of pedaling to get electricity. The problem with their bikes is they cost way tooooo fucking much. Seriously $9,000. Are they kidding? No fucking way. Plus,also, they don't have road bike versions.

I come to you /diy/ to see if there is a tutorials on how to make your own electric motor that runs on pedal power.

>> No.300930
File: 601 KB, 1000x750, mybike.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here. Also here is my Bike. I wouldn't mind adding an eletric pedal power motor to it when ever I want to go on long trips.

>> No.301212

Not a clue? No instructions or ideas?

>> No.301225

You can get an alternator off a abused truck or junkyard. Solder on to the bike itself and add bicycle gears and generate 12v. You can charge mortorcycle battery while you bike.

>> No.301227
File: 29 KB, 240x279, e-bike_Stokemonkey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>300927
> The problem with their bikes is they cost way tooooo fucking much.

There was a huge thread over on /k/ several days back concerning "tacticool" bug-out
bikes for use in a major disaster and it's my understanding that while that particular e-bike
is very fast when running on the electric motor, it's only a "fixed gear" bike when peddling.

Instead of dropping big money on that, you might to research "Stokemonkey" electric
motor kits for conventional bikes, which uses the bike's existing gearing system and
are thus much more efficient.

>> No.301229
File: 146 KB, 2312x1288, Stationary Bike Generator Power Diagram 01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>$9k

Dang.

>I come to you /diy/ to see if there is a tutorials on how to make your own electric motor that runs on pedal power.

I have not seen any that combined the electric generating of pedaling to actually power the same bike. It seems like it would be simple enough. The only hard parts are getting the right parts for the proper charging.

>pic only partially related

>> No.301236

>>300927
You may want to check out PeakOil.com as there was a thread dedicated specifically to this topic. I only glanced at it but one thing intrigued me: contrary to common sense, gears and chains are not your friend. You would think the mechanical advantage gained from using different sized sprockets would be a huge advantage. But according to that thread, the added friction killed any benefit. Direct drive was the only way to go: a recumbent set of pedals mounted NEXT to some giant flywheel type generator mechanism. I don't know.

>> No.301238
File: 20 KB, 500x332, e-bike_stokemonkey above view.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>301229
> I have not seen any that combined the electric generating of pedaling to actually power the same bike.

I was thinking that a (small) alternator could be mounted in the V-notch of a bike above the crank,
with a fan belt going down to a pulley, which was installed on the right-side of the crank, one should
be able to use peddle power to turn the alternator and recharge the e-bike's battery?

>> No.301255

>>300927
>I love this idea of pedaling to get electricity. ...
that's nice, but it doesn't work very well. the amount of energy you get from your own pedaling ends up being very small, and that's why none of the major e-bike setups support it.

also an alternator doesn't make electricity unless it already has a source of electricity, since it only has field coils. What you would want for what you're dreaming of is a "permanent-magnet generator". ...But as I said, it's a waste of your time and money. Go ask on the endlessshpere forums to the e-bike board and search there for the same question and answers

-----

the Stokemonkey was one of the best-rated setups available in the USA--but it was hand-made, rather expensive and always in short supply. Right now they aren't even selling them at all: http://clevercycles.com/blog/products/stokemonkey/

>> No.301260

>>301238
Yeah you can use the pedal power to charge the battery.

>>301255
You can get quite a bit from it, however, it would be better created during downhill runs where you don't pedal much and gravity kicks in and makes the tires turn and creates energy for you. That was the energy you spend pedaling would be going towards movement and not inefficiently used for charging the battery to.

The energy used to charge the battery would be better used to make up distance.

>> No.301296

So how does that setup work? Pedal power charges the battery, the battery drives a motor that is integral with the hub?

>> No.301301

>>301296
Nevermind, I just read a post. So the pedals drive the wheel and you can go faster or get more power by using the electric?

>>301238
With a little more complication you could connect that to the wheel and recover some power downhill. I think it might be getting too many gears/chains by then.

>> No.301309

>>301260
>it would be better created during downhill runs
Motorcycles, and probably these bikes, need a fairly even application of the brakes from high speed. You'd either need to rig the front wheel to the alternator or loose that energy with a friction brake. Depending on the driving, energy recovery tends increase the run time about 30%, so even with half you'd get around 15% power back. Now the question is 'is it worth the weight and complication?'

>> No.301359

>>301309
I really think there is more total energy loss going on than is made up for increased distance in comparison with a standard bicycle.

What I mean is, find the total body expenditure of energy using the e-bike for x amount of distance and compare it with the same thing on a regular bike. I think that the e-bike makes you work harder to travel the same amount of miles when compared to the standard bike.

Unless you used the system for downhill runs. The actual pushing of electrons through the generator will act as a break on downhill slopes. Meaning, you won't need to pedal the bike or brake very much as you travel downhill because the bike will create energy from the wheel turning during that time.

From that there would be 3 types of bikes, standard e-bike where you pedal to make energy, downhill-only e-bike where downhill slopes make the energy, and standard bike. I'd want to see the energy distance for all 3 to see if there's an overall advantage with either type of e-bike versus the standard bike.

Weight obviously plays a big role.

>> No.301429

I think it's all about hub generators made to trickle charge super capacitor banks used to maintain a rechargeable battery bank. These generators are very light and add little drag. It's not like the old school bike light generators that grind you to a halt.

Bonus points for a circuit system on the capacitor bank that jumps from constantly topping off the battery when not in use to combined with a coil to supply AMPs to the motor while the battery is only responsible for voltage.

Rear mount the electric motor to free up the front for small gas motor for true extended range.

$.02

>> No.301471

I like were this guy is going. Pedal assist electric hybrid, recharges while pedaling, car passing fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34r1xtbh_1k&feature=related

>> No.301476
File: 1.20 MB, 2592x1936, IMG_20110529_201127.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP look at the endless sphere forums, they have the answers you need.

>> No.302748
File: 42 KB, 500x555, Alternator.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>301255
> an alternator doesn't make electricity unless it already has a source of electricity

Wut.

>> No.302753

>>302748
The device commonly known as an alternator does not use permanent magnets for the rotor, it uses electromagnets. This allows the voltage regulator to change the output of the alternator by reducing the current through the field coils.

>> No.302804

>>302753
This.

Also this >>302748 pic is a dynamo, not an alternator.