[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 41 KB, 600x369, DickProennekeCabin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
298815 No.298815 [Reply] [Original]

How much money would it cost to:

1. Buy land somewhere remote like the Alaskan wilderness

2. Build a fully equipped, liveable log cabin there

?

>> No.298821

$873,394.38

Seriously though the scale is huge, It wouldn't take a huge amount of time to get a rough idea. Look up prices for land in the area you're interested in and then costs for the materials to build the cabin. It's the best way to get a decent idea of what you'll be spending.

You will also have to factor in costs on things like getting connected to the grid and plumbing if you want these things.

>> No.298835

You don't need to get on the grid. A well or stream water would serve, if purified. Get a generator if you have to have electric. Use wood for heating. A single stove would head that whole building easily, probably even make it too hot.

I mean I assume you're wanting to go that far to get away from modern living.

>> No.298847

>>298835
This

>>298821
I know this is an exaggeration but OP could build this for ~10k price of the property excluded of course.

Another thing. Shop around for supplies. Sometimes you can get materials delivered to you cheaper than if you bought them locally.

>> No.298872

1)Buy land in rural Alaska: Cheap
2)Buy a crappy trailer: Cheap
3)Outfit trailer with everything you need: Moderate depending if you have experience or not.
4)Airlift trailer via heliocopter and land it on your site: Fairly expensive.

Idk like 100k I guess.

Drive the tralier in if you can access it by road and it would be a lot cheaper.

One Caveat tho, becuase you're asking I'm guessing you're not actually from Alaska. So if you plan on living there all year you have any fucking clue what the winters are like? Now imagine that winter in the dark since the nights are long as fuck. Or if you're thinking of commuting, you have any idea how expensive it would be to fly back and forth every year?

>> No.298874

I'd suggest something EPS foam insulated, somehow. It would cut the heating energy way down.

Yea firewood is all around you, but it's got to be cut and dried and the wood don't cut itself.

What a lot of people do for back-coutry hunting cabins is buy an old but still-barely-running bus for a few hundred bucks. Drive it to the site where you want it, and park it. Forever.

>> No.298882

>>298874
>Drive bus to wilderness
>Park it forever

Why does this sound familiar?

>> No.298907

>>298882
Into The Wild ending.
Inc OP's death on local news.

>> No.298928

I built a 20sqm cabin in my parents backyard.

It was a prefab kit and cost $9,000.

I didnt have to get a permit to build it since it was under 21sqm.

>> No.298949

I own a remote piece of acreage. It's not in Alaska, but in British Columbia. And, I can tell you from experience, it's *much* more complicated attempting to complete any construction project when you're away from civilization.

Unless you intend on sourcing all construction materials, and delivering them to site yourself, I wouldn't expect much local help. Usually, skilled labour is lacking. And, anybody competent is scooped up in high-dollar subcontracts for utilities or government projects.

Look at Dick Proenneke, his situation worked because he's an exceptionally bad motherfucker, in tune with nature and a true jack of all trades. Not to mention, he built everything out of logs which were standing by at his camp site.

>> No.298952

http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?ct=R&type=5%2C24%3B13%2C13%3B268%2C6843&r.PRIC=%2C1400
12&sort=PR_A

>> No.299113

>>298949
I watched that documentary. He was the definition of Ubermensch.

>> No.299186

The man in your picture is Dick Proenneke, the role model for all /diy/ers. Look him up, watch the documentary. He built his cabin from local spruce with hand tools.

>> No.299279

>>299186
Yeah I know. Saw the film years ago when I first became interested in the OP. Redownloading it now...

>> No.299282

One thing that I should point out is that when doing something like this, you need a temporary shelter.
Dick Proenneke didn't just go into the wilderness and build a cabin. There was a preexisting shelter at the location for him to live in as he built a cabin.

I am building a cabin on a remote piece of land currently. I'm doing it with gas and battery powered tools. I also used a bobcat for parts of it. I am using primarily trees located on my property. I have an old RV parked on the lot with a generator that I use as a base to live in as I work on it. I also only work on it on weekends as time allows.

Everything cost me about 75k, this includes ~100 acres of land, an old RV, generator, and tools (Bobcat belongs to a relative). This doesn't include gas or food or anything like that.

>> No.299353

>>298907
inb4 someone sez that you should find a new family, not reject the concept of one entirely

>> No.299485

>>299282
UPLOAD PICTURES THEN GOD DAMN

also can i visit?

>> No.300950

>>298949
where abouts in BC?

>> No.300955

This man whittled his own spoons and had a refrigerator underground in his front yard made outta nature.

This man was perhaps the last and most recent truly free man. My utmost respect to him.

>> No.300964

>>298815
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_McCandless
imo you should buy cheap land in a state that some summer.

>> No.300973

>>300950

I'd rather not get into the specifics, but the parcel is approx. 4.5 hours of driving north out of Vancouver. Paved roads the whole way except for the last 25kms.

>> No.300974

To all those who love Dick Proenneke, you will also love Heimo Korth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0rZn8HFmQ&feature=plcp

>> No.301269

>>300973

That last 25k is going to be hell if you ever have to try to leave in the snow.

I wouldn't consider anything like that, so you've got balls just thinking about it.

>> No.301292

>>301269
Just get a half ton pick up with a small snow plow

>> No.301298

>>301269

I was worried about snow conditions as well prior to the purchase. But, even though it's unpaved road, it's compressed manicured gravel. It's also a maintained (provincial) road. And, the service contract for maintenance (publicly available in Canada) indicates that there can only be something like 5 centimeters of unplowed/uncompressed snow on the surface. So, i'm not too stressed about it.

What's the point? Do your research before you buy, because yes these are all valid points and concerns.

>> No.301303

You can get land in remote Canada, particularly the Yukon, for $5000/acre.
You can buy a prefabricated cabin for $10,000.
Seeds for food and stockpiles, and farm equipment, only another $1000 for personal use.
Learn to fish and hunt. You don't even have to be off the grid, but there's always turbine energy for another $2000-5000.

Then you're free. Look into earthships.

>> No.301310

I was just going to /diy/ for the first time in a year looking for this very thread.

Mind blown. Here's a resource OP might find interesting, it doesn't seem that hard to figure out how to engineer without buying the plan. Cold climate greenhouse, invented in Northern Ontario:

http://www.tdc.ca/bubblegreenhouse.htm

OP, I am currently working on the oil rigs until I have 100k saved up. I'd like to live outside of a small town and own a one-ton, and deliver greenhouse vegetables to the area. There are great loans in Canada for that sort of thing if your credit is decent and you already own land and have a business plan.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen more remote collectives being organized onlne, there are so very many people who want to fuck off somewhere North and fulfill their isolationist fantasies.

I just want a greenhouse in the arctic with fancy pretty LED grow lights and turbine energy. That's all I ask.

>> No.301320
File: 190 KB, 450x308, chris-mccandless.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You don't need a cabin, just find an abandoned bus

>> No.301537

>>300974
The way he talks and certain mannerisms remind me of Bill Murray. That is a very good thing.