[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.43 MB, 3264x1840, 2012-01-30_10-59-24_420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
296951 No.296951 [Reply] [Original]

So I live in a small city where most of the buildings are 2 to 3 stories tall. Are grappling hooks a cheap thing to make?

>> No.296967

>>296951
>Are grappling hooks a cheap thing to make?

Yes.

There's more to it than just a simple, "yes", but that does answer your question.

>> No.296983

the question is: whom do you wanna sell it?

>> No.296984

lrn2parkour
no grappling hook needed.

>> No.297074

you live in narlins? it would be so badass if there were a grappling hook using motherfucker there.

the best advice, if you are truly into "do it yourself" would be to look up what a typical modern grappling hook is made of, what components could be replicated by cheap ingenuity and resourcefulness, and to fabricate it in such a way that allows you to...you know...carry your weight without concern for breakage.

of the top, I would say find someone who is into welding (already has the equipment and general knowledge) and get into his shop and fuck around.

>> No.297077

go to a military surplus outlet. if they don't already actual grappling hooks, you could find usable components which are obviously rugged and sturdy enough for fabrication.

>> No.297209

Every time I see a grappling hook in a movie, i can't help thinking it's bullshit and would never work IRL.

>> No.297218

>>296951
Would-be thief detected.

>> No.297219

>>297209
Well, movie stuff....lol

Real grappling hooks that do work, and look like the traditional movie grappling hooks, are something else. They are not intended for repetitive use either. The "real" one will be over the $100 mark too and come with warnings about repetitive use and not yo be used as a life saving device.

It is best to get ones intended for repetitive use from a rigging outfitter for rock climbing applications. They are actually pretty cheap in cost, but much safer than the "hook" kind you see in movies.

>> No.297311
File: 13 KB, 300x300, boat anchor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

get a boat anchor like this and some rope.

>> No.297741

>>296951
I'm going to save you alot of time and energy that would have been spent on research.

- Use an emergency rappel belt (aka rigger's belt) for a lightweight, easily concealable make-shift harness

- Use 7.5mm technora cord. Firefighters use it to as personal escape rope. The cord is rated to 4000 pounds and is heat resistant up to 900F. Any rope/cord bigger than 5mm can be gripped by the human hand.

- Use professional climbing carabiners.

- Only use the grappling hook to climb. When you climb to the top, you can retrieve your hook. If you're rappelling or swinging, you can't. To solve this problem when rappelling, tie the rope down to something that WILL hold your weight and cut the cord from you when you reach the bottom. For swinging, use fishing weights and wrap the cord around the object that will support your weight at least 3 times. Cut the cord when you land. Keep a pouch of at least 10 weights on the belt.

- Use a climbing carabiner with a spool to hold your rolled-up cord:

http:// countycomm. com/ dropline.html

- Bring a monocular or binoculars to aid in visual verification of a secure hook.

- Gloves are a must

- In "hot spots" where it's likely you'll run into trouble or otherwise need to ascend quickly with no time to prep your hook, case the area out first and place rope ladders at high, tactical spits. Roll them up and rig a pull-string to them so all you have to do is pull the string, and the ladder comes tumbling over the side. Secure the bottom of the ladder to your foot so nobody can climb up behind you.

- Leave caches of extra rope, weights, and carabiners hidden on certain rooftops - just in case a resupply is needed.

>> No.297803

>>297741
Forgot to mention - when you wrap a cord or rope around an object 3 or more times, it holds 300+ pounds. It's called the Capstan Effect. Any less that 3 wraps, or "turns", will not support bodyweight. I suggest using 5 or more, but no less than 3.

>> No.297842

>>297803
tanks. I saved that.

>> No.297852

>>297842
If you're OP, please keep us updated on this!

>> No.297911
File: 5 KB, 725x301, hook.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rebar (steel rods intended for concrete work) is dirt cheap and available at Lowes/ other building material stores. It's soft and easy to bend. You would need a welder to make the main shaft split into three, though.

>> No.297913

>>297911
>soft
not the word I want to hear or read when describing things that are going to support my body weight

>> No.298230

More ideas needed.

Is it possible to make something small that will hold bodyweight? Maybe the size of a baseball or even smaller?

>> No.298239
File: 23 KB, 300x500, 20110617022506_Photo2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>298230
Here's what firefighters use:

http:// www.thefirestore .com/ store/search.cfm?KEYS=Anchor +hook&x=0&y=0

They would't be very good for hooking onto something far away, but it'd be great for rappelling/decending.

>> No.298252

>>297913
Actually, you want soft metal, not brittle metal for grappling hooks. Then need to bend. Otherwise they snap instantly when they go. The professional ones that the boat anchor-looking style have softer metal for that very reason.

>>298239
Weld a couple of those together perhaps? Line up the holes so the rope goes through both of them so the weld won't have direct stress put on it.

>> No.298254

>>296951
Is that a picture of a restaurant? I'm almost fucking certain I've been there before.

>> No.298255

>>298252
>Weld a couple of those together perhaps?
They're not cheap, but it would work.

>brittle metal
I also don't want it to bend too much and warp under the force of my bodyweight. For these types of activities, it's best to err on the side of caution.

I'm curious to know whether or not chrome or alluminium would be suitable - though a hook made of alluminium would need to be very thick...

>> No.298289

>>298252 Weld a couple of those together perhaps?
Bad idea, unless you're solid at TIG welding aluminum and have the capability to re-heat treat it when you're done.

>>298255 For these types of activities, it's best to err on the side of caution.
Yes, and erring on the side of caution is using a softer metal. Hardened steel is never used in rope systems because it gives no warning before failure and is much more susceptible to damage from impacts. If you don't understand that, you really shouldn't even be considering making anything like this.

>I'm curious to know whether or not chrome or alluminium would be suitable
I'm going to assume you mean chrome-moly steel. Either would be fine provided you have the expertise and equipment to work with them correctly. The firefighter escape hook above is made of aluminum, as are most pieces of climbing hardware. But again, if you have raise that question you're definitely not ready to take on a project like this.

>> No.298300

>>298289
I decided to write up an overview of some important general concepts people need to understand before doing any life safety rigging. It'll take me a while, but hopefully I'll have it up later today.

>> No.298303

>>298289
>blah blah softer material is safer
I'm not disagreeing that softer is safer, i guess it was more just thinking aloud - you don't want to use a material that will bend too easily under forces such as bodyweight. So to finish my incomplete thought - I wonder what thicknesses of iron or aluminium or chrome-moly would be suitable for this.

You probably don't want to use something only 4mm thick only to find it bend itself useless because you weigh too much.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

>> No.298335

>>298254
not OP, but it's Rosy O Grady's in Seville Quarter, Pensacola FL

>> No.298608

>>297911
How plausible is this? Will this really work? How small can I make the hook?

>> No.298906

>>298608
Anyone?

>> No.299689

>>298608
>>298906
>How plausible is this?
Somewhat.
>Will this really work?
Test it and find out.
>How small can I make the hook?
Big enough to hook over something. The goal with a three-hook grapple is to get at least two of the hooks over the target. Design accordingly.

>> No.300332

>>299689
>test it out
I wish I could, but I have no welder or welding skills, and little money to pay someone :(

>> No.300350

>>298608
I've used a rebar hook to pull smalls stumps out of the ground. Granted, that's a constant force, I don't know how it would do under other conditions.

>> No.300364

>>300350
Was it a rebarb shaft bent to a single hook or a shaft bent into multiple hooks?

>> No.300475

>>300364
Shaped like a J or a checkmark.

>> No.300534

Get a military grade grappling hook from eBay for about 200$. Then do what the guy above said about ropes. If you're gonna fuck around with cheap shit it probably isn't worth the effort.

>> No.300542

>>300534
>Not OP
Unfortunately this is not an option for me as I plan on losing my grappling hook quite often. I simply can't afford to continuously replace my grappling hook at that price.

>> No.301033

>>300534
It's R&D - of COURSE it's worth the effort, but only if it's all done as safely as possible.

>> No.301078

>>300542
If you plan on losing the hook quite often, 1) you're doing it wrong, or 2) you're going to have to develop some metalworking and testing skills if you want to make your own without getting killed.

What exactly are you trying to do? This sounds like it has a high probability of being a matryoshka of stupidity within stupidity.

>> No.301082

>>301078
>Not OP
Not at all - stupid recreation with me ane a few friends in the woods. We're just beginners to the whole ordeal, so we're gonna fuck up throws here and there. We're bound to lose some of them.