[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 103 KB, 800x544, lock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
294761 No.294761 [Reply] [Original]

Okay /diy/, Lockpicking/locksmithing. Anyone have either any experience or the like regarding info on locks, tools, efficient ways of learning etc? Want to start as a hobby for the lulz

>> No.294764
File: 34 KB, 500x329, 546546546.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.294765

b

>> No.294767

m

>> No.294766

u

>> No.294769

p

>> No.294771

>>294761
I started 2 years ago, just pick up a cheap lockpick set and start on the hanging locks.
If you want to make your own set print out a template of the picks and cut them out of some iron shit, saw a video where a guy made some out of an old sawblade for extra grip.

>> No.294776

>>294771
A guy in another thread sugested getting a flathead screwdriver and bending the end at a 45 degree angle as the torsion wrench. Thoughts?

>> No.294778

>>294776
Are screwdrivers not made of toolsteel, IE very hard? You need some serious heat and force to bend that.

>> No.294780

>>294778
a vise and a hammer.

>> No.294781

>>294778
thats what i was thinking. nothing a blowtorch can't handle i'm sure though?

>> No.294783

This is how I made my lockpicks. I have opened alot of locks with them and on the plus side if they break it'll be easy o replace. Good Luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQbi_fkdGE

>> No.294799
File: 68 KB, 500x281, bristle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you live in a city that uses street cleaners, the bristle from the brushes may be exactly what you need for lockpicks. Some bristles are of a flattened cross section and they break off sometimes and may be found in the gutter. I found several pieces in two different thicknesses that are a perfect fit to a typical lock. I haven't made any picks yet, but it's on my (endless) project list.

>> No.294817

I see that you bumped every minute or so, that is unnecessary on a slow moving board, this isn't /b/.

I made my set out of hacksaw blades and a windscreen wiper. I printed out some shapes of picks and glued them onto the hacksaw blades, then i cut them out using a bench grinder. For the tension wrench I took the metal strip from a wiper and bent it to shape.

>> No.294837

Hacksaw blades and a dremel is all you really need, torch for bending tension wrenches maybe.

You really don't need a template, look at basic designs and go from there. I have an S rake I made that is ludicrously large but works like sex in a bucket on house locks. Experiment a bit, it's not difficult.

Another source for tension wrenches is metal rakes, cut it to proper dimensions with a dremel.

>> No.294840

there are keys called bump keys, used for picking. i always keep a couple in my wallet just incase.

>> No.294841

1. get canned air
2. hold upside down and shake
3. spray on lock
4. hammer and chisel
5. ???
6. profit!
Warning: not very stealthy.

>> No.294887 [DELETED] 
File: 2.54 MB, 3264x2448, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>294799
I can back this up. I made a bunch of picks out of street sweeper bristles a couple years back. They work great and have not broken. The tension wrench is also made out of a bristle, bent 90 degrees and heat sink tubing so that it doesn't hurt when applying pressure.

>> No.295621

Bamping

>> No.295647

I made a set out of a hack saw blade and an allen wrench. I was able to make it small enough to put inside the skeleton of an old cell phone too.

here is an effective way to make some tools if you want. otherwise just ignore the rest of this post.

----picks----
to make a pick take a hack saw blade and break it to the length you want your pick to be. Then use a grinder or dremel to cut the head of the pick in the shape you want.

I recommend a hack saw blade because it has some flex from side to side but it is still strong vertically, so it is harder to break and if it does break it is easy to remove from the lock and cheap to replace.(however i have been lock picking for 2-3 years now and i started with a hack saw blade pick and it still works great while picks i have bought specifically for lock picking have broke.)

-center picks are generally the most versatile for locks with double sided pins like car doors and ignitions.
-bottom edge picks are easier for locks that only have pins in one direction.
-ball ends are usually used on center neck picks and allow best center control
-edge neck picks usually have a curved end rather than a jagged end so that you can easily slide the pick into the lock.
-when deciding on the type of tip (such as flat or rounded) its good to know that a flat tip is easier to work with but you cannot feel the inside of the lock as well as if you have a rounded tip.
-finally there are rakes which are picks with a wavy neck pattern that are used in a process called raking the lock. In this process you are using your jam to turn the lock and dragging the rake across the pins to position them all at the same time. This is usually the easiest way to pick a lock but it is not 100% because sometimes you just need the precision of a regular pick. You however, can rake a lock with a regular pick by just dragging the end of the pick as if it were a rake.

pick wise I recommend starting with an edge pick with a flat tip.

>> No.295648

post >295647 cont.
ex. flat tip edge neck pick
_____________ _
/ \________/ /
\_______________________/
ex. round tip edge neck pick
_______________ __
/ \--------------/ \
\_______________ /--------------\___/
ex. rake

----jams----
A jam is something with a flat head that can be used to turn the lock as you use the pick to move the tumblers into position. Jams can be as simple as a flat head screw driver or a pen clip bent into an "L" shape.
-IMO the easiest way to make a good jam is to take an allen wrench and use a grinder or dremel to flatten the short side of the allen wrench.

>> No.295650

sorry new fag picks came out wrong

>> No.295654

Can anyone who knows about locks give us a hand?

>>>295649

>> No.295673
File: 28 KB, 668x799, lockpick stencil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dumping a couple

here's a stencil...

>> No.295676

I have a small Southord set of lockpicks. They seem to be fairly strong.

For basic lockpicking, the best guide is the MIT guide to lockpicking.

For more advanced lockpicking/home security/ unlawful entry, consider reading a book tailored to teaching locksmiths.

>> No.295675
File: 293 KB, 1190x1683, make picks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>295673
/diy/ picks

>> No.295677

>>295675
>>295673
If you are interested in this as a hobby, these two should suffice.

If you're interested in it for nefarious purposes, read up on bump keys, too, and make yourself a set.