[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 56 KB, 500x375, diy_ac_06_0910-lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
293176 No.293176 [Reply] [Original]

I'm sure many of you guys have made this. Anyway, I was wondering how I could make it colder or make it last longer.

inb4justaddingmoreice

>> No.293188

>>293176
Yeah, I've made one before. It was a life saver while working in the attic crawl space during the hottest part of that year's summer.

To make it colder you'd need to have colder ice. Try dry ice. To make it last longer you need a bigger reservoir.

>> No.293189

>>293188
If you use dry ice then you'll need to use something like mineral oil to circulate because water will freeze solid in the tubes and burst them.

>> No.293191

>>293176
Get a car radiator and it's matching cooling fan from a wrecking yard. Get a second one of about the same size while you're there, sans cooling fan. Get enough mineral oil to fill both along with the hoses connecting them and a circulating pump. Immerse the one without a cooling fan in dry ice and more mineral oil. You now have an air conditioner that will soak up a shit-ton of heat for as long as you have dry ice. Be sure not to operate in an enclosed space unless you want to die of asphyxiation from too much carbon dioxide in the air as the dry ice evaporates.

>> No.293203

Does saltwater allow the water to be colder, but might corrode the copper?

>> No.293202

SALT!

>> No.293206

>>293203
Salt water will run it colder and it does pose the possibility of corrosion. But, I would agree to the dry ice and mineral oil.

>> No.293234

>>293188
>It was a life saver while working in the attic
That and working in the garage are pretty much the only practical applications I've heard for this.

Do people actually try to use these to cool their rooms?

>> No.293257

>>293191
just run some hoses from your container holding hte coolant to outside. Make the tank and hose and the pressure would pipe it out for you.

>> No.293258

>>293257
*make the tank and hose airtight*

>> No.293279

>>293234
>Do people actually try to use these to cool their rooms?

Yes, and as long as the fridge/freezer they use for cool the liquid/ice is located in another room it will work to a limited success.

>>293202
>>293203
>>293206
>>293189
Use regular antifreeze instead of the water so you can cool it down greatly.

>> No.293678

acetone /dry ice bath cooling another metal recipient pumping coolant based on glycol (regular antifreezer)

>> No.293800

Get a proper radiator and an expansion valve.
Connect the tubes properly
Get a compressor and a propane tank
Fill the circuit with propane
Run the compressor

You got yourself an air conditioner.

>> No.294253
File: 956 KB, 2448x3264, IMG_20120802_154148.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here is mine that i made, works pretty well. main advice would be, in fact, not just adding more ice, but basically having as large of an ice to water ratio as possible. you really only need enough water to fill the system and for the pump to be submerged. Dont fill the cooler with ice, then fill it to the brim with water. it will melt, trust me. also seal the cooler, dont leave the lid cracked like that guy. adding ports to the side or top and feeding the 3 lines (in out and power) through it would greatly slow the melting of the ice.

>> No.294271
File: 151 KB, 1146x638, Img_0609.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>293189
It won't freeze unless he really goes nuts with the dry ice. The dry ice encases itself in ice isolating it. Also what else will help it not freeze is that it is circulating.The dry ice just ends up being a source for regular ice

>> No.294275

Why not just get an evaporative cooler? It would be worlds more effective than a little copper hose in a boxfan.

>> No.294695

>>294275
Humidity

>> No.294832

seal everything off with caulk..you can cut through it later, it'll look ugly after a while, but who cares. if you're going to use the surface of a fan, spend the time to bend it perfectly and make use of as much space as you can. you could also try running it on front back to keep circulation going. add salt..it'll corrode shit after a while, but it keeps the water colder. dont use ice...use ice packs. put cooler in another container filled with foam...maybe on wheels. fans are low voltage/wattage so are shitty pond pumps...use as many of these fuckers everywhere you can. get some peltier cooled/low power dehumidifers to get free water to pour back into your ac cooler.

god tier ac

>> No.294836

>>294832
if completely sealed off(which a good cooler isn't sealed anyway) you dont have a lot of water to worry about, most of it is chemical and contained...so it can't evaporate, the small amount of water actually in the cooler/pipes wont do much...hardly any condensation on pipes...if any at all.

>> No.294838

>>294836
i meant to say they are sealed decently..i meant to say NOT that isn't sealed already...the caulk just ads some extra peace of mind

>> No.294850

>>294275
Those wouldn't work at all where I live when it is hot. The humidity is way too high here and the water wouldn't evaporate well. It'd end up adding humidity and preventing sweat from evaporating from the skin. Cooling issues would be pretty bad.

>> No.294861

Just build a pod out of 2x4s. A very tiny space that you can compute and sleep in.

Costs vastly less to cool, allows you to insulate to a super energy efficient level, and works as noise control as well.

One of the eastiest and most effective projects you can do with some basic planning to make sure you get everything how you need it for easy in and out access and putting your monitor and interface devices in comfortable spots.

Unless you live somewhere really dry, the op pic is a dumb idea. If you do live in a dry place, you should use a water misting fan that mists water so fine on the nano scale that it instantly evaporates, cooling the air being blown by the fan by 20 degrees or more.

>> No.294866

dude, you can get a compressor for 10$ the black ones in the back of your fridge, or the black ones inside your air conditioner, just add some copper and then buy some aluminium tubing for the evaporator and attach it to the fan, and you are good to go.

>> No.294868

>>294866
that is a little harder, but its worth it as you won't have to refill, just fill once with r-134, or r-22 and you'll only fill once, (yofo) and it'll repeat the process, even tough, it'll break sooner or later, as it is not as efficient as a full refrigerant system, mainly because of the liquid gas going trough the compressor.

>> No.294892

>>294868
If liquid gets into the compressor the compresor gets fucked, it's made to compress gas, not uncompressible liquid.
If liquid gets there, you're doing it wrong.
Also, you can fill it with propane, it's a good refrigerant, a lot safer to the environment than specialized commercial refrigerants, cheaper since you can get it in camping cans and since it's odorized, you don't need special tools to find leaks.

Also, anything using a compressor is A LOT more efficient electricity wise than this ice+fan gizmos. Unless you can get ice for free.

>> No.294895

>>294892
Actually making a proper closed cycle heat pump is easiest than more people think it is. You just need the proper diameter pipes and by trial and error you need to get the proper gas expansion rate. Play a little and you can get a freezing pipe in a few hours.