[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 31 KB, 480x360, Motherboard05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
290521 No.290521 [Reply] [Original]

sup /diy/, I was wondering if it's possible (and practical)to desolder and recycle some of the electrical components (capacitors, resistors, etc). I am asking because I have a huge surplus of broken parts and boards.

>> No.290526

I'm pretty sure you can. and I'm pretty sure everyone here is going to tell you yes.

just make sure to keep them in a labeled bag. otherwise finding them later will be hell.

>> No.290534

yes it is, but its a pain in the ass to do it ahead of time and unless you are building a specific project or something you will only need one or two components to replace a burnt out resistor or popped capacitor and its not worth desoldering them all

>> No.290536

>>290521
Yes. It seems like there was just a thread about this not to long ago.

Common stuff usually isn't worth the time, but electromech certainly is.

Stuff I usually go for:
>Electromech like switches, buttons, potentionmeters of any kind (sliders, trimmers, etc), electric motors
>fuse holders, sockets, connectors
>heatsinks, particularly ones for the TO-220 package
>transformers, inductors
>power resistors, maybe large caps if the device isn't too old
>power management ICs (transistors, voltage regulators, SCRs, etc)
>socketed and labeled ICs

Stuff I usually skip:
1/4 watt resistors, most capacitors, most surface mount parts, unlabeled ICs.

I try to get things that I will actually use - stuff that I have a specific use for, or stuff that I use regularly that are worth harvesting. If you try to get everything, you'll use a lot of your time just to wind up with a junk collection.

>> No.290854

You should go for things of higher value such as motors, buttons, pots, heatsinks as just said
>>290536
ICs are a pain to desolder and so are many connectors. I got many connectors for old keyboards so I can use them with circuits.
Big non-eletrolitic caps are also good to pick. Some big transistors are also somewhat expensive and worth keeping.

>> No.290885

>>290521
Short answer is "yes", but the reality is that surface-mount components are difficult to remove from PCBs without damaging or destroying them, and some of them (notably BGA package ICs) can't be re-used once you remove them without some remediation done to them first.

>> No.291110

theres vids of people on youtube using heat guns to do this in large amounts

>> No.291680

Oh yeah. Get yourself a cheap desoldering iron. Being a broke electronics hobbyist, I used to do this all the time. Running low on resistors/capacitors? Grab an old TV or VCR from the dump and desolder all the components you want. (discharge capacitors first)

>> No.292239

>>291680
how/why do you discharge?

>> No.292243

>>292239

Okay, you have no idea what you are doing. Learn more about this kind of stuff before get yourself killed, give yourself lead poisoning or set yourself on fire.

>> No.292257

>>292239
the answer is tremendously simple. a more pressing question is what would someone that doesn't know this answer would need these components for.

>> No.294025

>>292243
>>292257
thanks mom and dad

>> No.294031

generally its not worth taking existing electronics stuff apart
one reason might be if you wanted the barePCB for some reason
another might be to take off a particular component, if you knew you needed it for something else

at the electronics place I go to, they won't accept "free" small parts at all, unless they are still on paper rolls (resistors, capacitors, LEDs ect). its simply not worth anyone's time to sort through a bunch of components that are worth less than five cents each.

>> No.294047

>>292239
You don't.
Have fun with an old tube TV

>> No.294069

The coin cell battery holders are nice for small projects. also the connectors, headers are very useful.

>> No.294161

>>292239
Old tube tv's can hold lethal charges in their capacitors, they take forever to discharge on their own too. I remember one guy on /diy/ talking about how he zapped himself on a tv that hadn't been turned on for 40+ years, it wasn't lethal because some of the charge bled off over time but holy fuck, 40 years man.

tl;dr
don't fuck with electronics unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

>> No.294185

of course you can. Tech trade schools do it all the time. When I was going for my AAS in electrical tech, we had salvaged stuff to work with. We were also responsible for testing and trouble shooting the stuff we were given to work work with (closed caps, open resistors, dead transistors etc)

>> No.294241

>>294161
Sometimes I wish /diy/ was more of a trolling board, because I can imagine the /b/ responses.

And the guy coming out of the hospital later and post here, hating us.

Oh well, for the better.