[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 37 KB, 424x273, setup2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
286483 No.286483 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone from /diy/ built a lcd video projector ?
I've been reading up about it for some time and I get the basic theory, but can't seem to find something more numerical on what lenses yield what image size at what distance and so on.

>> No.286502

>>286483
I'm currently building up supplies to build one. Though, it will be this winter before I have the time to start.

>but can't seem to find something more numerical on what lenses yield what image size at what distance and so on.

This is because you literally need to wing it. I'm making mine so that each distance needed will be slightly adjustable so that I can fine tune it perfectly when and if needed and it will be needed.

>> No.286522
File: 158 KB, 640x579, beaver computer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You're talking optical lens, not fresnel right?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Pick a projector that has the lens you are thinking of (look it up first)

See how big the image is at what distance and use as reference to pick the best lens.

I researched this last year, there is an image or web page or something out there which is perfect for calculating everything. I cannot locate it right now but I am telling you that it is out there on google and if I could find it then so can you.

It might have been on this forum, I remember spending a lot of time here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diy-projectors/

There's also a forum with a lot of weirdos from the philippines and india but it's english-speaking, strangely they have a lot of info about picking parts and actually putting it together if you're doing anything serious.

>> No.286546

>>286522

What you may be looking for is the wolfram computational engine.

>> No.286559

>>286546
No I meant specifically calculating the size and distance of the fresnel and optical lenses and resulting picture. But if WA can help OP then sure.

There's also here
http://www.hommie.net/

>> No.286585
File: 1.70 MB, 4000x3000, smaller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made one using a monitor and an overhead projector. I made a box with a fan built in as a cooling system for the screen. After it was finished I built a cart for it to sit in with a surround sound system. Perfect outdoor theater. Great quality.
Pic related, my beta build.

>> No.286610
File: 498 KB, 342x360, 1342749790563.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I though about this just to use bulbs that don't cost $600 every 2000 hours. But I figure I'm rich what the fuck and just bought four bulbs instead. When they are all burned out I may try to hack my projector to use a different lamp, unless by then I can find an led or laser projector that meets my requirements.

>> No.286701

>>286522
cyber bestialism!!!

>> No.286703

>>286585
I would love to know how to do this, that's absolutely awesome.