[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 21 KB, 470x348, zippo-war.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
284207 No.284207 [Reply] [Original]

DIY means fixing and making things yourself, stepping away from the consumerism and throw shit away when it stops working.
What I want to know is some product lines that you only have to buy once, and properly maintained will last forever:

straight razors
Mag-lite
Zippo

What Brands do you find that last?

>> No.284209
File: 46 KB, 800x600, 18837kl_20.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

not exactly a product but ive been making woodburners out of cast iron truck brake drums i got for free , they are 2 cm thick in places and should last for a while , possibly longer than a bought stove.

>> No.284211

nintendo gameboys

I'm honestly interested in how long they will last, they seem unstoppable compared to how fast most electronics die nowadays

>> No.284214
File: 130 KB, 954x642, lister_listeroid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They may not last forever but they can last a damn long time and can be rebuilt by the common man. The Indians still make knockoff new ones and parts. Jkson, Loveson, Fuking (no c in there) among other brands. Google Lister CS and Listeroid.

Good for stationary generators etc.

>> No.284215

>>284209
Where do you get those mate? Are they from wrecked trucks or are they just worn too thin and replaced in due course?

>> No.284217

Except Zippo can't stop a bullet for shit.

>> No.284223

>>284209
Enjoy your asbestos cancer

>> No.284228

>>284215
truck yards or scrap dealers , they become slightly warped out of shape to be used but you cant notice it , never seen one worn down too thin.

>>284223
why do you say that?

>> No.284230

>>284215
You can get them at almost any truck repair shop. They typically have a pallet or two of them stacked up out back. They're sold to metal recyclers, but the per unit amount is almost nothing, due to current ferrous metal prices. Offer them a few bucks for them, and they should be yours.

Those are 6 lug drums, so the poster is either from a non-unimount country, or those aren't class 8 brake drums off a semi, which are 10 lug, which means you can find them substantially larger, thicker, and heavier.

>> No.284232

>>284230
>>284209

Thanks for the info dudes. Rethinking my firepit now.

>> No.284234

>>284230
hey what do you make of this persons comment >>284223 , could this be because of the asbestos brake pads ? my drums were sitting in a field for a year and i never saw any fibers on them.

>> No.284237
File: 133 KB, 500x375, 4391634613_88cce5c7df.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My 1983 230e Mercedes Benz just keeps going. It has done nearly 400,000 kilometers since it was made and only very minor parts (less that $100) have ever been replaced.

Pic related (not mine, but same year and model)

I love it to death. It has driven me around Australia multiple times and never broken down a long the way. In fact, it has never broken down on me ever.

>> No.284238
File: 138 KB, 800x600, 230e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>284237
Ah ha, I knew I had a photo of it on this laptop.

Here's my actual car.

>> No.284241

>>284234
Yeah, thats probably what they meant. I don't know where you live, but I've never seen an asbestos brake shoe on a truck in murrika. They're changed every 1-3 years, so I don't see how one would still be used decades after they were no longer the norm.

If you're paranoid about it, just pressure wash them at a car wash on the way home.

>>284237
I've got a 1979 mercedes benz 300SD (w116 chassis) with about 1,200,000kms on it. I blew the torque converter, but the engine still runs like a top.

Looking for a smaller car to cram the engine in, since I was getting about 33mpg (7.1l/100km) in a 3700lb (1600kg) car if I can find a manual transmission to mount to this engine (very rare in north america, may end up having to fabricate an adapter plate).

>> No.284248

>>284241
yeah im in Australia it says asbestos brake pads were banned in 2003 so im not worried about it anymore, thanks

>> No.284252

>>284241
>1,200,000kms on it.
Holy shit, I don't think I've ever heard of a car having so many kms on it. That's nuts. Mercedes were built like tanks around that era it seems.

I don't think I'll ever buy another car brand though. I'm in love with Mercedes Benz.

>> No.284261

Hasselblad cameras
I have a 500c/m from ~1971 and it's still perfect, and I use it really often.
Technics turntables are bulletproof too

>> No.284263

>>284237
>1983
>29 years
>400,000km (248,548 miles)

>>284241
>1979
>33 years
>1,200,000km (745,645 miles)

So, you guys barely drive at all? Every car I've owned had over 500,000 miles (804,672km) easy and none of them have been older than 2000 models. I guess that is the big difference from the US and other countries? Here everything is purposely made so you must drive ridiculous distances for anything.

>> No.284268
File: 84 KB, 903x668, mnbgmkgh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>284263
tfw I drive less than 6k miles a year

>> No.284278

a good quality compass, pathwork tweed caps seem unbreakable, old style winter overcoats.I got one from around 60's. made of wool, heavy as hell, kept me warm in -40. Marlin rifles seem to last forever, buck knives also. My mom still has hers from when she stopped huntin about 30 yrs ago, both in great shape. They get used, just not for hunting anymore. Wooden cutting boards, hammers/axes with wooden handles because it's easy to replace the handle but a properly made head will take a hell of a long time to wear down. Old vacuum tube radios still work, though tubes are getting harder to find,

>> No.284279

french knifes and swiss army knifes.

My grandpa gave my his swiss army knife to my 15th birtday.
It is in use since over 40 years.

>> No.284281

>>284263
If you live in a hot and dry area this may be true.
But if its wet and cold the most time a car wont get old.

Here in Germany most cars dont even reach 200 000 kilometeres.

>> No.284284

>>284281
depends on car though. Live in Alberta, which means some yrs 8 months of winter. Volvos and Mercedes Benz last forever. Especially Volvos.

>> No.284287

(iron) ridgid wrenches.

>> No.284289

cast iron frying pan.

>> No.284298

i saw stuff about zippos so i have a question to any zippo owners.
does anybody find that their zippo will never light on the first strike and always lights on the second or third?

>> No.284311

>>284298
It depends on how much lighterfluid is in it plus how worn down the flint is.

>> No.284316

>>284278

Just about any gun will last forever with proper care.

>> No.284332

I approve of this thread. bumping with stuff I found on internet

Cast-Iron Pan
Look for: A new cast-iron pan with the surface that is uniformly dull gray inside and out and uniformly rough in texture with small grains or “pores.”

Avoid: Pans with seams, cracks, or uneven or sharp edges. Buy a cast-iron pan that is all of a piece—not one with a wooden handle. Avoid a ridged bottom; a flat surface conducts heat best.

Chef’s Knife
Look for: A good-quality chef’s knife that you feel comfortable handling. Pick up a knife and see how it feels in your hand. Also buy a steel and use it regularly to keep your knife honed. If you buy a good chef’s knife and care for it properly, you should never have to replace it.
Avoid: Knives that have a serrated cutting edge or those that claim to “never need sharpening.” Good knives do need sharpening.

Hand Tools
Look for: Forged metal, and plastic, fiberglass, or metal handles. A typical basic set includes a 16-ounce claw hammer, a few sizes of screwdrivers (regular flat tip, together with Phillips or Robertsons), an adjustable (Crescent) wrench, slotted pliers, a wide 25-foot tape measure, a retractable utility knife and an 8-point crosscut saw. Good-quality hand tools should last not just one lifetime, but for a couple of generations.
Avoid: Cheaply made cast-iron tools and tools with wooden handles.

>> No.284345

Consumerism is not that bad when you consider that people have a job making that stuff. They would be bums in the street asking you for money (or worse), if you didn't buy their company's product.

Just buy whatever you want, roll the dice, and if you have one thing 50 years from now that is still good, call that a decent purchase.

>> No.284348
File: 67 KB, 400x300, 131604543999.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>284345
>people have a job making that stuff

I hope you realize there "people" you are talking about are children working in sweat shops in china.

>> No.284375

>>284241

>1,200,000kms

That's to the moon and back again, and then some. Awesome.
Hasn't been used as a cab at some point?

>> No.284378

tweezers will last forever if you dont let them get clogged up with nasal hair and snot

>> No.284379

>>284348
>I hope you realize there "people" you are talking about are children working in sweat shops in china.

so what? it's not like anyone gives a fuck. I mean they arent your kids or my kids are they and if some chinese or paki politicians were that bothered that their own kind would be labouring in some factory they would give enough of a shit to chqange the law, but as it stands, if they arent bothered, why should I be?

>> No.284389

>>284348
>blubber sputter hyperbole
Get this guy to a fainting couch!

>> No.284439

>>284261
Just about any camera from the 70s and earlier will last forever, with some care of course, ESPECIALLY cameras for formats larger than 35mm.

>> No.284446

>>284281
I think it has more to do with living close to everything and not living close to everything. Where I live the average good paying job commute is no less than 1 hour one way. That's about 100 miles a day to get to work. Not counting days off for holidays, that is 261 non-weekend work days or 26,100 miles (42,003.9km) a year. This doesn't include driving for any other purpose at all nor takes into account any other factors.

At the years in >>284263 at 29 years and 33 years, that is "756,900 miles (1,218.11247 megameters) and 861,300 miles (1,386.12799 megameters) respectively.

My mom drives more than 100 miles that in one day and she has a 1 hour commute here one way. She finally got a hybrid to save on fuel costs. In the 15ish years she's been working at the current place she said the other day she's driven about 450,000 miles (724.2048 megameters) just to and from work.

200,000km (124,274 miles) is just jaw dropping here. That is a "like new" car here. lol

Fuck American infrastructure.

>> No.284449

OP here bumping, Nice to know Mercedes are solid.
currently driving a geo metro 1.3L 4cyl. Got some great ideas here

>> No.284453

>>284207
>What Brands do you find that last?

-Micronta analog multitesters
-Enterprise Manufacturing Company of Pennsylvania food choppers
-Old Hickory of Ontario Knife Company knives
-Craftsman hand drills

There's a lot more, but specifically, I'm listing antique things. You can be pretty much assured that most antiques (anything older than 30 years) will normally hold up and last forever (they lasted 30 years already). Most modern things don't last, normally because of micronisation of electronics, the inclusion of plastics, and/or actual planned obsolescence.

>> No.284457
File: 19 KB, 320x232, 1342455938756.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>284446

Move to closer to the work. I live about 10 blocks from my job (which is 10 blocks from stores and restaurants) and drive about 3 miles a day in total.

People that want to spend half their lives sitting in a car are retarded.

>> No.284460

Toyota and Datsun pickups.
Leave them in the woods for years, and you can still drive them away with a battery change and a little wrench-magic.

The AK-47 and its higher-quality cousins (get a chromed barrel Vepr for maximum slavshit)
Any tool with a wooden handle.

Steam-donkeys.

A herd of animals, if you have the land.

Electrical motors/generators (very few moving parts)

Anything made 60+ years ago.

>> No.284463

>>284457
I don't commute any more. I am self employed now and work from home. My last job was a 15 minute drive from here and the one before that was a 2 minute walk.

>Move
>blocks

I'd rather take my country life over city life. Which would be the only way to not be self employed and make good money.

>> No.284472

>>284460
>HAIL MURDERCUBE
Honestly, an SKS would have a better cost-benefit ratio.

>> No.284474

>>284207
> ....Mag-lite...
if you do use any aluminum flashlight (or any electronic device you really like a lot) then it is important to use lithium or alkaline batteries. they do far less damage if they ever leak.
disposable batteries will leak when they get old, but also if they are just used a lot near the end of their lives.

"normal" zinc-carbon or zinc-chloride batteries suck partly because of lower power, but MOSTLY because they eat shit up badly when they leak--they eat aluminum, as well as eat up circuit board traces.

If you have alkaline or lithium batteries in something and they leak, you just take the batteries out, rinse the thing with vinegar, then rise it off with water and let it dry out.

>> No.284497

Any 90's Toyota.

>> No.284502

>>284474
My proble with flashlights are the contacts to the batteries and the flashlight's terminals. They get corroded easily (can't really see corrosion though) and I have to roll the battery to cut through the lite corrosion for them to work. This usually takes a couple of months, but once it starts I have to clean them all the time, roll the batteries, or shake the light a bit to jiggle the batteries. It is a pain.

>> No.284504

>>284207
>straight razors
ok, sure, as long as you take care of them with regular stropping and such

>zippos
need refilling, new wicks, new flints, new wadding (after time), have trouble in the rain. A Bic is cheaper and more reliable.

>mag-lites
outdated incandescent technology. Heavy and outdated batteries. mini-mags stop working after a few years, too expensive to ship for warranty. LED mini mags break after being dropped a few times. Classic D cell mags are indestructible but there are far better options. They do make good weapons

>>284332
>avoid cheap tools
duh

>avoid wooden handles
youhavenoideawhatyouaretalkingabout.jpg

>buy plastic and fiberglass handles
thats like, yur opinion, man

Handle type doesn't matter, BRAND and build quality matters. Evaluate your tool purchases based upon need and usage. That means some days I want Snap On, and others, Harbor Freight. Respect duty cycles.

Also, it doesn't matter WHAT it is, if you fucking take care of it, don't push it past its limits, and do some preventative maintenance, ANY tool can last a good long time.

>> No.284509

>>284332
>Knives that have a serrated cutting edge

Serrated is fine. In fact it lasts longer against hard surfaces like dinner plates because the points hit the surface and not the sharpened scallops.

However you do need a few ceramic rods of the proper sizes if you actually intend to keep serrations sharp. You can also sharpen only the backside with a stone but that will wear away your scallops.

>> No.284520

>>284474
>it is important to use lithium or alkaline batteries. they do far less damage if they ever leak.
>alkaline

The fuck they won't. Alkalines will completely ruin the battery tube and contacts if they leak. The potassium hydroxide in them will eat away at PCB traces, nickel battery tabs and even the aluminum of the battery tube itself. They're even more damaging than zinc-carbon dry cells or zinc-chloride "heavy duty" cells.

Lithium primaries will do fuck-all if they leak, though. And they don't really tend to leak except under rather extreme conditions. 10+ year shelf life is also nice.

Also low self-discharge rechargeables if you use your flashlight more than once in a blue moon. NiMH cells do fuck all to a flashlight's guts if they vent, and the LSD ones (eg: Sanyo Enelopp) will hold a usable charge in storage for 5+ years. Probably even longer; the rate of loss is nearly zero by the time the cell is down to 50% charge.

>> No.284594

I only ever buy anything once. If it putts out, I repair/redesign it. Products are only consolidated parts.

>> No.284617

>>284504
>zippos
Don't forget that the fuel evaporates extremely quickly, and it can leak out if shaken when full.

>> No.284742

>>284594

So how's your one pair of underwear treating you?

>> No.284751

>>284446
>200,000km (124,274 miles) is just jaw dropping here. That is a "like new" car here. lol

Here in Australia when we're looking to buy a car we look the general rule is under 100,000km is best.

I'd hate to be American.

>> No.284757

>>284594
>putts
>putz

>> No.284778

4-sevens flash light. I've dropped it, scraped it, used it to open beers, put it under water, and it still works well.

I have a Saddleback wallet. It's probably going to last longer than I will. They use thick, thoroughly-processed boot leather with thick stitching, no buttons/zippers.

Linksys WRT54GL is probably one of the best routers ever made. I've had friends deploy hundreds of them without problems.

At work we buy ASUS 1U servers and have done so for the last 10 years. Most of these machines have seen 2-3 year uptimes. We buy new ones and replace them before we have to reboot them.

Bought six Intel SSDs, never had any problems with them.

Have a Tektronix 465B analog oscilloscope that is probably 30-40 years old, it still works and I use it regularly.

And you can't go wrong with Fluke DMMs. They make great equipment.

>> No.284782

Anything leatherman.

I have the best flashlight I have ever owned, from them, and a leatherman charge tti which has lasted 3 years of non stop abuse without a single nick. The flashlight is super solid, crazy bright, and really small.

>> No.284787

Energizer "Hard Case" headlamp. It's bulky but tough as a brick and has bright LEDs, white, green, and red.

>> No.284812

>>284446

>200,000km (124,274 miles) is just jaw dropping here. That is a "like new" car here. lol

lolwut. That's about the mileage you'll find on an early 2000's car. "Like new" my ass.

>> No.284823

>>284228

Old drum brakes often contain asbestos. Not sure how fire effects it though, asbestos is only a really big issue when its the friable-type and flying in the air.

>> No.284826

>>284823
how does it contain asbestos? its solid cast iron

>> No.284842

>>284439
You run into battery problems with some though. Batteries fro my Hi-Matic F were apparently discontinued because of mercury concerns. Local shop offered to order som that might owrk if i bought them up front and was willing to wait 8 weeks.

>> No.284844

>>284826
The brake pads used to contain asbestos, not anymore though.

>> No.284849

>>284207
Yaseu

they make radios. mines been to hell and back. even with modification it keeps truckin on.

>> No.284924

>>284844

True. They've not used asbestos in merika since like 86 or so.

Maglites are outdated if you've got an old bulb one but they'll work forever. I have a friend who's a former State Trooper who had to use his to whack someone once. Damn things will never break.

Case and Hen and Rooster knives will last forever. I've got a 80 year old Case I carve with.

Sears makes decent wrenches, never had one snap on me.

I've got an old Stanley made ladder built in 1962, I trust it more than some of the shitty ones I see today.

Amana fridge from 1965 or so in the garage, just need to defrost it now and then. This thing has been plugged in nearly 20 years straight just in my garage, and forever before that at my grandparents.

Allis-Chalmer tractors from 70 and before.

Most any pickup truck from 70 or before.

>> No.284933

>>284460
>Datsun
Those things came off the assembly line with rust on them. If you find a Datsun today with minimal rust it is considered a good deal.

>> No.284934

I purchased a brand-new Akai sampler in 1994, and it still works perfectly, including the floppy disk drive.

>> No.284944

The older massey-ferguson tractors like the 165 and 135. I have a 165 that is 50 years old and the only thing I have put in it is wheel bearings and clutches. They are still made as clones as massey-ursus and an indian make tata? I forget.

>> No.284968
File: 73 KB, 1235x607, So you want to own a straight razor.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Saved a razor thread from awhile back,

I have one, shit is pretty good as long as you care for it

>> No.285070

bumpu your cool thred

>> No.285073

>>284332
>bumping with stuff I found on internet
You're a fucking retard. No tape measure is going to last generations of regular use. Wood handles are the best handles, easily replaceable, comfortable, and better for your bones (on striking tools)

>> No.285093
File: 13 KB, 400x300, P392b4326_05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Praga V3S, one of the best light truck. It runs almost on every fuel and there are lots of extensions (e.g. crane, flatbed, tow, crapsucker...). They are more than 50 years old, still almost unbeatable in heavy terrain

>> No.285215

>>284332
Wooden handled tools have wooden handles for a reason:

When they break (which all handles inevitably do) you can replace dat shit. Replacing a fibreglass handle is a lot more difficult.

>> No.285248

>>285215
Not only that, but you can buy wooden handle tools that have their handles broken at dirt cheap prices and put a new handle in you made or bought.

>> No.285292

Toyota Pickups. Look what Top Gear did to one (see Youtube) and it still ran. I just bought an '05 Tacoma with 93,000 miles on it and it runs like it's new. Baring an accident I don't expect to need to replace it anytime soon.

>> No.285300

>>284332
>Avoid: tools with wooden handles.

No. That's wrong.

Wooden handles last a good amount of time and are easily replaced. The best thing about them is that while they're tough enough to withstand a lot of hard use, they're also great at absorbing shock and vibration so your joints suffer less abuse.

>> No.285304

>>284289
Exactly what I wanted to post. Good ones can last over a hundred years and get better with use, can be literally thrown into a camp fire to clean, sustain hits and can be used as a weapon in case you get attacked while making eggs.

>> No.285306

>>284968

Easy way to use a flattening stone is to run a marker along the stone to be flattened beforehand. You'll know it's flat once the marker on it is completely gone.

>> No.285308

>>285304
>can be literally thrown into a camp fire to clean

That's pretty much what you have to do to clean one. Never, ever take soap to cast iron cookware or you will destroy the seasoning.

>> No.285311

>>284237
That's pretty standard in my experience. As long as you treat your car right you should be able to get at least 00k miles out of it

>> No.285316
File: 63 KB, 591x925, caring_for_cast_iron_cookware.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>285304
>>285308
>can be literally thrown into a camp fire to clean

That isn't the correct way to clean a cast iron skillet. Read this.

>> No.285341
File: 241 KB, 339x280, 1344788503353.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>285304
>can be used as a weapon in case you get attacked while making eggs

>> No.285366

>>285304
Eh, iron skillets are actually pretty brittle metal. All that heating and cooling makes the metal lose pretty much ALL its temper. You can break them just be dropping them off onto a tile kitchen floor, if they hit right. I dropped a hot one onto the open rack of dishes in the dishwasher. It broke nearly all the plates and itself broke into 3 pieces.

The campfire method of cleaning is also and incorrect method of cleaning them and presents the danger of cracking them in the intense heat. Cooking on the coals is different than cleaning with the coals. This is because food lets moisture evaporate and cools the skillet the entire time. Without that, they heat up too much and can be cracked with thermal shock.

>> No.285368

Nokia 3310

>> No.285372
File: 29 KB, 640x303, Yankee Screwdriver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This shit right here
<------------------------

>> No.285375
File: 279 KB, 900x962, studley_tool_chest_open.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>284332
>Avoid: Cheaply made cast-iron tools and tools with wooden handles.
>wooden handles

>> No.285379
File: 120 KB, 800x600, 0601121026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Want NOS tools?
Google "that old tool store down the road"

>> No.285383

>>284924
>>284924

>Case and Hen and Rooster knives will last forever.

They were bought out a couple of years ago, and are currently cheap POS crap from China. I would not recommend buying one that was not made in America at least 15 years ago (to be safe).

>> No.285385

I have a set of craftsman open ended wrenches that are about 75-80 years old. Work great still. 3 generations strong.

>> No.285391 [DELETED] 

>>285383

Ok, older ones then. I down own a pocket knife, or other knife for that matter that isn't at least 30 years old.

>> No.285393

>>285383

Ok, older ones then. I don't own a pocket knife, or other knife for that matter that isn't at least 30 years old.

>> No.285406
File: 9 KB, 282x272, 1343971542050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>285368

>> No.285408
File: 34 KB, 435x419, Came vigorously.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>285375
>>285375
>>285375

DO WANT

>> No.285426

>>285375

>studley tool chest

Yes, yes it is.

>> No.285634

>285383
Case knives are all still made here in 'murika. However they are collected hard and 70% of them have faggy handle material. Buy a yellow or brown handled Case for a superior working folder.

Hen and Rooster, on the other hand, are shitty late night knife show POSs

>> No.285647
File: 149 KB, 500x325, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>284345

one could argue that consumerism in excess of standard needs and reasonable wants is actually fueling something that is indeed "bad".

pic related.

then again, I bet the guy in the jacket spends alotta that luxury level dough

>> No.285658

>>285308
idk what yah did to it then, cause hell, grandma still uses great great grandma's skillet and it's a sturdy old pan. Never seen one, that has been properly cared for, shatter or any of that so idk what happened with yours.

>> No.285687

can someone recommend a pair of boots or shoes? i want to buy some footwear and not have to replace it in a decade

are dr martens for life good?

>> No.285700

The Nokia 3310 comes to mind.

That, and old Singer sewing machines (not the new ones, the brand changed owners/factories at some point and the Singers after that are worse)

>> No.285702

>>285687
Depends on how much you wear them.

I've had mine for about 7 years now, I used to wear them nearly every day, but for the last few years a couple of times a month. They are still comfy as fuck, but the leather is starting to crack where it bends, and the soles have worn to the point where the air pockets in the heel are now open. Needless to say, this makes them not quite as water proof as they used to be. Still a pretty good run for a €100 pair of boots on which I have done 0 maintenance. I'd recommend wearing them with cheap leather insoles, as the interior tends to wear under your toes. This is my second pair of dr Martens, my first pair I wore nearly every day for a year or 3, then decided they were 'worn out' even though they were in a better state at the time than my second pair now.

>> No.285736

On my feet currently is a pair of steel toe Red Wing boots. I wear them nearly every day for work. They have lasted me two and a half years and I expect at least another year before I might consider a new pair or get these resoled.

>> No.285737

I should add that i can blow through a pair of caterpillar bOots in 6-8 months. These red wings have survived two Milwaukee winters and an Atlanta summer

>> No.285766
File: 51 KB, 600x600, led-lenser-t7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Much as I thought it seemed a bit of a gimmick with their advertising, my Led Lenser torch has bloody impressed me.

Been through at least 5 drops (theatre), and submerged underwater overnight twice (camping).

Bought around two years ago now.

>> No.285815
File: 39 KB, 468x288, 1321651229572.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>285702
>>285687

Another Doc M. fag here. I had me some curb stompers too, but they don't make them like they use to, so I stopped buying them. The old pair I had lasted my for 5 years and they fit my foot like a velvety glove. They were divine, never have I had a more comfortable shoe.They use to be made handmade in britanica but now they are made in china. Since then, they fall apart and are not that comfortable. Doc's are now only for punk children. Move on.

>> No.285823

>>285702
Doc martens boots are absolute gobshite these days. Except their industrial boot; which kicks arse if you spend a little time looking after the leather. The "normal" boot is an overpriced fashion item with none of the original quality; i've seen them fall apart within a year.

Personally, i prefer ex-military boots. They take a fucktonne of abuse and then just keep going.

>> No.285848

The trick to good wooden handled tools is making sure the grain is right. Weak grains and splits/cracks are obviously bad. Good news is that you can easily replace it. I have hammers that are 30+ years old with handles that are going strong.

Zippos are bad because they dry out quickly. Maybe if you get a hold of a very old one you'll get good quality. But they've been shit for decades now. You're better off with old trench lighters or old imco brand.
http://www.imco.at/en/

As far as electronics go. I have an old Wacom intuos 3 that has been through hell. there's bare spots on the cord and it still works like new. The newer ones seem to be more delicate.

Certain thinkpads are supposed to be pretty rugged. They were even used in space.

>> No.285859
File: 3 KB, 360x360, wat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I keep waiting for this thread to finally lay it's soul to rest so's I can save it for good, but it just won't die...

Carry on. :3

>> No.285882

Look up "peanut lighter". Thems the good shit

>> No.285985
File: 115 KB, 834x667, things.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Imco Lighters. I've got two 6800 Streamliners from the 50's, very nice design. Like most old petrol lighters they'll keep going forever.

Opinel carbon steel knives. I haven't used anything else in the kitchen since getting a number 8. Very simple locking mechanism, haven't been able to do it any damage so far.

Sidchrome ring spanners. Sidchrome anything for that matter. They make brilliant tools, and collectors froth over vintage pieces.

>> No.285993

>>285882
I have a cheap version of that that bought from a china-site for something like a buck. Much better than a zippo, IMO. Smaller, yet the fuel lasts so much longer thanks to it being sealed. I'll just have to find a non-cheap version with a flat bottom and a better flint-wheel construction and I'll be set for life.

>> No.285996

>>285985
>tfw you have a sidcrome socket set made in Melbourne in the 1960s

>> No.286006

>>285996

Word. Some of my dads old sidchrome spanners from the same era are mixed up with my own tools, but boo/hiss, they're all imperial.

Capcha: Brown Rio Women

>> No.286010

>>284298
yeah, if fluid is low, or if the wick is pretty toasted.

but it's not like a bic is that much better.

>> No.286040

Lurking and new here so dont rant on me.

>A well made fedora

May not be the most practical of things on here overall, but it helps to distinguish you, protects from harsh weather to your head, and can last a very very long time. Mine has lasted me 10 years and still looks great. Good fabric.

Lurking since this thread is quite cool

>> No.286047

>>285993http://www.countycomm.com/splitpea.html

countrycomm is your spot

>> No.286106

>>285859
I know how you feel man, I'm glad I started this. Shameless bump for an awesome thread

>> No.286222

>>285996
Do you know what "tfw" means?

>> No.286252
File: 6 KB, 183x275, fridge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have one of these Frigidaire fridges by GM downstairs as a backup. It's 60 years old and runs great (just have to clean out the freezer occasionally).

>> No.286267

>>286006

Send them to me. I use imperial all the time, bein a 'murrikan. I'd love to feel this fabled Aussie quality for myself

>> No.286297

Opinel knives

>> No.286307

>>286222

"that feel when", which he seems to have used appropriately.

>> No.286311

>>286307
Thought it was, "their faces when".
Like, "MFW" = "My Face When" and not "My Feel When".

>> No.286344

>>286047

Am I just navigating that thing wrong, or does the smaller split-pea version really cost the same as the original, larger, version? As it is, I can't decide which version to choose.

>> No.286402

>>284211
mine fell into a water puddle. the sound still works fine without headset. with the headset, it hums.
(game boy color)

>> No.286406

I carry an Opinel.

Locking mechanism IS cool. But not the best. Modern locking knives do the same thing and are quicker. But really the time difference between the two isn't enough to really effect the average user.

The only real downside is if you get an Opinel wet. The wood handle swells and makes the blade impossible to pull in or out. It returns to normal after it dries out tho. And the only time I got it wet was when I blackened the blade with vinegar which made in look ghetto cool. So it's not like I'm always getting it wet. Honestly though I'm surprised they don't really have synthetic handled Opinels.

>> No.286697
File: 291 KB, 2352x987, ModelM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.286700
File: 251 KB, 816x757, 2012-05-14.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>286040

>> No.286706

>>286700
i love ETT.

>> No.286729

folk musicians. Laugh all yah want, but some of them are still touring around

>> No.286774

>>284211
one survived the gulf war i can't find the picture though

>> No.286778

Gameboys
Mosin nuggets
A lot of 70's appliances
Old Nokia mobile phones

>> No.286791

>>286778
>Mosin Nugget

>> No.286794

>>286774
>>284211
Original Gameboys were made in the late 1980s/early 1990s, over 20 years ago right before the big miniaturization of fucking everything and the big hit with planned obsolescence.

That being said, my first and only Gameboy died forever when it fell from the kitchen counter top to the tile floor 3 days after xmas when I first got it. Shitty holiday for me.

>> No.286799

I have a pipe wrench that belonged to my grandfather, when I first got it the head was seized but all that was needed to fix it was a few solid whacks against an anvil and all was good. I still use it to this day

>> No.286807

>>286774
You mean that one that had its case plastic suffer from high heat and looks all melted and burned? I had a house fire one time. All my electronics looked like that and still worked.

>> No.286846

Hey OP, I think your thread is broken. I can't get in. All the tabs have been "waiting to start loading" for two days now. I can't see updates and it won't refresh.

Testing with this post.

>> No.286891
File: 192 KB, 800x600, a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These sewing machines also last for ages. The one here is probably a hundred years old and still works fine.
You could compare them to industrial gear, only they don't need that much power…

>> No.286893

>>285985
+1 for the opinel

>> No.286945

>>286846
Nevermind, works again.

>> No.287047

Old International trucks. My dads' got one from '76 that hasn't had any major work except a replaced clutch plate. Plus, I've heard they sometimes used dodge parts from the year before, so parts aren't in short supply.

>> No.288627
File: 124 KB, 800x600, 800px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These fuckers
Air cooled VWs
Not as fuel efficient as modern small cars, but so simple to fix any hippie can do it; and parts are as cheap as hell.
My brother had '69 when we were kids. It was ancient then. I saw it by the side of the road a couple of weeks ago, stopped to look at it, and sure enough it was his old car. (It was highly personalized. There was no way to mistake it.)
The guy wanted $2000 for it. That's more than he paid in '89.
I nearly bought it out of nostalgia.

>> No.288633

This thread is just a big salute to stuff that's made how EVERYTHING ought to be made. I respect that.

Of course, even the stuff that breaks can usually be fixed, if you're willing to learn how to fix it instead of simply replace it. That's what separates the real DIYers from the chaff.

>> No.288678

for boots i advise a pair of the british army assault boot.

I have a pair from when i was in, which is almost 10 years ago now. Resouled twice, but going strong (i mean the all-leather with fully sealed tongue, not the recent suade 'thing')

that plus an old nokia i've had since 96/7 which cas use AA batt's.. ultimate backup.

>> No.288777

>>284207

I used to live in the same town where Zippos were made, and the owner of the company was the biggest drug dealer in town, and his kids were assholes.

>> No.288778
File: 50 KB, 399x262, burning beetle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>288627
Forever, you say?

>> No.288848

>>288778
hurp durp shits on fire!!!!

retard, really? any thing can fuck up when you don't take care of it with minimal regular maintenance and simple hand tools.

fuckoff with your fire with you back to retardville

>> No.288899
File: 44 KB, 321x480, beetle on fire.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>288848
Well sir retard,
Vw put flammable insulation material around manifolds and exhaust, that's why beetles and those hippie vans witch had their engines in the back always caught fire when enginesreached high temperatures. They won't last you forever, because they will burn in a traffic jam on a hot day.
Also it is a shit car, compared to other small cars from the day.

>> No.288903

>>288778
>>288899
>strawman

Here's another. I'm sure Albert Klein's Beetle had several fires in order to drive over 1.4million miles

>> No.288953
File: 121 KB, 600x398, 496.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>288899
The main cause of the engine fires were due to the fuel filter being in the engine compartment. They were made of plastic and could melt if they touched any hot parts of the engine. This could easily be alleviated by moving the fuel filter to the front of the car near the gas tank.

Anybody who isn't a moron fixes this as soon as they buy a beetle.

>> No.288959

Crocs

>> No.289038

>>288899
bhwaha you are such a fucking faggidiot

compared to other small cars from their day? REALLY? LOL you just proved your an idiot.

I'm sure the starts fire in traffic jam problem was a definite negative impact on the literally 22 FUCKING MILLION MADE and still being made.... yeah, they sure suck alright...

you really do ride the short bus to school huh?

>> No.289046

>>288903
This isn't a strawman. He is clearly addressing the topic by pointing out that there is a documented problem with the car. He did use an ad hominem.
>>289038
The new Beetle has almost nothing in common with the original, this does not address the point he brought up. To counter his argument, show how many of the original were manufactured, and how many still survive today. This will show you the reliability.

>> No.289080

>>289046
How are the new beetles? Are they just disposable cheapies or are they proper tanks if well protected?

>> No.289083

>>288959
they biodegrade.

>> No.289094

>>288899
yes, they will last forever, that the reason those motherfuckers were taxis in Mexico, and the reason people keep buying them until 2003, when they finnally choose to stop making them. you will see this fuckers in Mexico and brazil, and you can fix them without any problem, also you can change the motor for $200, and the transmission for another $150. so with less than $500, you have your car as good as new. God bless the fucking vochos.

>> No.289115

>>289046
new beetles are in no way related to proper vw bugs. Fuck new beetles.

They are still making (or were until recently) NEW proper VW BUGS in brazil and mexico.

>> No.289146

Facom wrenches (life waranty).

>> No.289156

Kangaroo leather. It is fucking fantastic! My wallet has lasted fifteen years, is nigh on water tight, floats, doesn't rip, is roomy, is full of cash and smells great.

FUCK YEAH! Kangaroo leather is awesome, really should've bought a belt out of the stuff.

>> No.289263

A year or so back I dug up a MAG lite from my yard that was under about two feet of mud. It had been there for at least 5 or so years. I just needed to replace the battery's and it worked perfectly fine after cleaning the lens.

>> No.289276

>>289094
Any car will last decades if taken care of. I mean look at cuba.
Cars are built to last. A company wants you to drive their car for 15 years, have no problems with it and then to buy a newer model because it will last the same. Planned obsolescence doesn't exist in cars. Yes, there are some cars that are poorly designed but these are design flaws not intentional. I mean look how many Model T's still exist.

>> No.289313

>>286700
>>286706
I don't get it.

Can someone explain?

>> No.289330

>>284375
Nope. It was just an old engineer that drove it to work and home every day for 30 years. Said it was about 40 miles each way, and checking the math, he didn't use it for much more than that. He was selling it because he was retiring, and bought a new pickup to replace it.

>> No.289353

>>288899
That's why you buy the metal filters from Hasting's.
From $4.50 -$14.00, depending on where you buy.

>> No.289361

shovel heads...I've got one that's been in my family since at least the 40s and it's still doing the (admittedly simple) job right. The handle has long since rotted, but the one I'm using now is still 30+ years old. I can't really get down with the new carbon fiber handles and fancy tempered heads.

>> No.289524

>>284457
You assume that everyone wants to live in a shitty neighborhood. Just because your work is there, doesn't mean that the surrounding area isn't a shithole. I've met lots of people that have homes "out in the boonies" (fresh air, no stupid CC&R, veggie gardens, small livestock) that drive into town to make their dough, then come back out to leave the city behind.

>> No.289547

>>286697
Ah, the model M. The tank of keyboards. IBM could come back with a USB model M and make fucktons of money.

>> No.289549

fjällräven's G-1000 is supposed to be very durable while functional. there was this guy who sent in some trousers made of it he said he bought 25 years ago and complained that the zipper broke.

>> No.289611

>>289547
"Model M"s are still made by unicomp. http://unicomp.com/
I think they sell a USB version too.

>> No.289662
File: 44 KB, 410x413, 13408454766411.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>289313
People who wear fedoras are fucking creepers.

>> No.289679
File: 32 KB, 500x300, Notch12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>289662
MFW reading your post.

>> No.289824

>>289662
I ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssee what you did there.

>> No.289948

Not really interesting, but a little over a year ago, I got a steel button press, and I'm fairly certain that it will last for a very, very long time.

>> No.289977

>>289662
thank you, for I now know I'm not alone.

>> No.289980

Rolex watches are actually built to pretty strenuous durability standards. On a watch forum a guy ran his through a dishwasher, boiled it in a pot of salt water, and eventually froze it solid in a block of ice. Within the ice you could still see the second hand ticking away.

>> No.289997

>>284284
Hey, since you live in Alberta too I'm wondering what you do to take care of your car's exterior in the winter?

>> No.290055

>>289980
http://minus4plus6.com/photos/photo34-original.htm

Well fuck me sideways and call me charlie. looks like you really can't beat quality mechanical watches

>> No.290703

>>289662
People who wear those fake tiny-brimmed Target fedoras are creepers. Real ones are nice hats.

>> No.290705

>>289980
fun fact, real rolexes dont tick, the second hand sweeps.

the fake ones tick.

>> No.290709

>>284281
>wet and cold
>not get old

I have to say I think diffrently. I live in Finland, the country of 6 months winter, 2 summer, and everything in between is rain and more rain. Tey do not salt roads barely at all in finland, but still the constant changes between humidity and dryness + the winter really do a number on cars. Most cars last to about 200 000 kilometers most, of course there are exceptions, but nearly every year you have to be prepared to put at least 300€ to fixing something. Because here cars always break something all of the time. Not to mention the price on gas is so high that the common folk has to use gasoline that has been cutted down sevberely with alcohol, it really does no engine any good.

>> No.290716

>>290709
The only engines that I know that last a bit longer in finland are diesels, but if you want one you have to be prepared to pay the highest price of fuel + diesel taxes. A friend of mine has a 2-liter diesel station wagon and his diesel tax is 275€ per month. Now think about that + all the fuel he needs in a month with the price of 1.60 €/L. Then you add all the cartaxes and all other asshattery charges that finland has on cars that's about 600€ more to pay just that you can drive a car.

that's about 1100€/month just so you can own and drive a car. Then take into concoderation that it's rusting like a fucker and breaking down a lot if you do not have time to fix it or keep it warm and dry during the winter (which many peopel don't). And of course nothing loses value as fast as a car in finland. You can almost never make any profit by fixing and selling cars so most people do not even bother. And now we have almost nothing but beaten up broken rusted cars everywhere. Because in here, no matter how fucked your car is as long as it runs somehow you can sell it for about 1000€ - 400€. Not to mention you can not really do anything to your car. Want to hang an air freshner from the rear view mirro OH look it's illegal somehow and cops can ticket you for it (altough they usually don't), oh what's that, you bought a new tyre for it that is perfectly legal in any way and the same size as the last one? Oh no you have to have it officcially aprooved by a vehicle inspector and that costs more yay. You bought e new lamp set for your car? Oh look it's too blueish/bright/too many red dots on the break light/ something yeah take it off and pay this fine.

>> No.290717

>>290716
Oh you have an american car, it's a pontiac firebird with all the original parts and in good enbough state to go to a museum? Noooo cut holes in the front bender and move the blinkers there because that's what the law says, they can't be where they are originally no. Also remove those lights from the side, remove that, cut a hole there and install some shit there that ruins the car completely, oh it has a big engine? Then we need to tax you even more yay

Yeah I know I'm just ranting in here but fuck finland and it's car regulations.

>> No.291779
File: 290 KB, 1600x1200, msp35t.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Glock

>> No.291799

>>290705
That's silly and impossible.

Do genuine Rolex watches "tick"?

This has been a big misconception regarding Rolex watches, "sweeping" versus "ticking". And in the past people used this as a method of identifying counterfeit Rolex watches.
http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/rolex_faqs.html
"The truth is, genuine Rolex watches do, in fact, "tick". However, they tick at around 5 to 6 times per second, so it gives the illusion of "sweeping" or "floating" around the dial. If you watch the second hand with a loupe you can see it."

>> No.291805
File: 68 KB, 773x857, LB-6255-02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lawn-Boy mowers made before about 1982.

Pictured is a 1977 model 6255.

>> No.291808

>>290709
>>290716
>>290717

Finnfag here. Even if you say it's just a rant, it is still so true.
All kind of tinkering with a car is freaking difficult in Finland.
One of the fun parts is that if you want to build a modified car, then you need to do all kind of strength calculations and everything, (which is not a problem yet) and fill in an application for the permission to make the changes for the car. The application costs, and it is the fee for only making the application. After paying thew application, they can still say "NO!" and you don't get your money back.

It might even turn out that if you buy a modified car from other contry, where it is street-leagal car, in Finland, you can't drive with it...

>> No.291812

>>291799
>>291799
>>291799
My $600 Bulova Precisionist is a better watch than your shit-tastic Rolex. More accurate, better looking, and can be worn with anything.

>> No.291818

Kirby vacuum cleaners last decades. We've had one that's 40+ years old and going strong and another that's 20 years old.

Honda makes the best consumer engines.

As a career auto wholesaler who's bought, owned, sold and fixed a lot of cars, I'd say Honda makes the best cars in terms of quality, durability, cost of repairs and parts and resale value. Toyota's a close second.

>> No.291828

>>291812
Yeah, but it's not a rolex, poorfag.

>> No.291845

>>291818
I hear a lot of folks say that, but after owning two Toyotas (one Lexus and one Toyota proper), I don't fully agree. On the repair side... perhaps you are right as long as you don't do the work yourself. American cars are much easier to work on and get parts for.

One thing that you don't mention is the feel of the drive. I guess it is just what you get used to, but their construction is nowhere near as solid and tight as American cars. I don't even know if that is the right way to describe it, but I would caution anyone who is accustomed to owning American cars to do an extended test drive before buying foreign. I just couldn't get used to the cheap feel of the overall drive and build.

>> No.291866

The keyboard I'm currently using has been with me for over 4 years of loyal service. I've literally thrown it into the wall, twisted it until it almost burst, bashed my hands on it, and yet it functions perfectly. Microsoft may manufacture bad software, but they have at least one good sturdy keyboard.

>> No.291868
File: 37 KB, 460x345, microsoft-wireless-comfort-keyboard-4000-b5s-460.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>291866
Forgot pic

>> No.292478
File: 2.00 MB, 306x230, 1326587194330.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>291812
>$600 watch
>just worn as an accessory

>> No.292502

>>291845
What are you even talking about. Were you saluting the flag while writing that?

I agree with the other poster, fr the record. Honda and Toyota make extremely well built and reliable machines.

>> No.292522

I second the mag-lite. I have a mini red one that I've carried for over 4 years now. Through tunnels, sewers, crawspaces, seawater, and a couple times I dropped it 50 feet down to concrete. I've had to go diving for it once. I've used it as an emergency glass hammer, a lever, and even a weapon, once. Once every month or two I take it all apart, clean it thoroughly, apply grease to the seals, change the lens, polish the reflector, etc. I'm sure it'll last me decades more.
I also have a 1950's GE electric fan. I've been using it for years. I've modified the blades a little to move more air. Every once in a while I take it apart, oil the bearings, clean the dust out, inspect the wiring and the gearbox. Everything in there is steel and bolts, not like this plastic shit we've got today. I've had that over 7 years, and god knows how much its previous owner used it.
I regularly use my 1890 BOS pipe wrench. That thing's a solid chunk of steel and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Every so often I wipe any oxidation off with fine steel wool and apply a light coating of oil.

>> No.292523

>>292522
I also have a 1980 Craftsman garden tractor. It's far more solid than anything on the market today. I've done a significant amount of work to it, added a trailer ball, redid the electrical system and such. I've got a huge snowblower for it, and I do my whole street in the wintertime, since the plows take forever to come out our way.

>> No.292543
File: 136 KB, 1000x750, unicomp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>291866

That thing is a piece of shit.

If you want something that will truly stand the test of time, get a buckling spring keyboard.

Look up the IBM Model M. It's a clicky keyboard that was produced in the 80's and most of them still function to this day. You can buy one used on eBay for cheap, but because of their age, they lack Windows Keys and are colored in beige.

Alternatively, if you want a new keyboard. You can buy a Unicomp Customizer. It's literally the exact same keyboard by the exact same manufacturer, only under a different name. It might be more costly, but it comes in a nice black and grey color, has windows keys, USB connection and is built to order.

Did i mention it feels better than any conventional rubber dome ever?

>Pic related as I type on this sexy motherfucker

>> No.292561

>>292543
>unicomp
>not owning an actual IBM Model M
Unicomps lack the steel plate on the bottom which makes them sound hollow, and feel lighter

My M's DOB, May 22 1990

>> No.292662

I got a Tornister "Affe" from ww 2, used by germany.
just care for it once a year with leather grease and it stays in good condition.

>> No.292667
File: 98 KB, 500x667, lf7kf4HdI1qjxjvjo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry for the tumblr link, but this needs to be seen by everyone.

http://lonelynerdsinfedoras.tumblr.com/

Take your well crafted fedora and shove it up your ass.

>> No.292670

any climbing equipment should last for a long time, because it must hold a persons' weight at mountains.

>> No.292681

>>292543
>>292543
This. I use a Model M since 1993, and after 19 years of service, if work like new, and not even one letter has faded. I have another one still in it's original package.

>> No.292696

>>292670

the upper end for climbing gear is 8 years - 4 for anything nylon

>> No.292702

>>284348
True, but there are goods that aren't made in China. Those are the manufacturers we should support. Of course, their stuff is made a lot better than cheap Chinese crap, so that's another reason to buy from those manufacturers

>> No.292706

>>284751
Our cars can last hundreds of thousands of miles if properly cared for. What part of that do you hate?

>> No.292784

>>292667
That image it's perfect for trolling /k/

>> No.292921

>>291845
>" American cars are much easier to work on and get parts for. "
nope that part is dealer only and it's on national back order indefinitely and the salvage yards are all cleaned out because that part fails consistently on every single vehicle produced.
>"One thing that you don't mention is the feel of the drive. I guess it is just what you get used to, but their construction is nowhere near as solid and tight as American cars."
confirmed for never having owned an american car.
and I can't find the post where someone said "cars are not a victim of planned obsolescence"
are you on crack? that is the entire idea behind vehicles, a bunch of little chinsy shit breaks on them which is a nightmare to have fixed so you get tired of it and just buy a new car. why do you think all three of the major u.s. manufacturers were in trouble? because they were seeing how much bullshit they could get away with before people quit buying, and it turns out quite a lot. I've worked on 5 year old jeeps that have rust holes through the frame, and chrysler did a real number on some of their electronic systems before fiat took over.
Car companies have meetings about how they can design something to make it more of a pain to fix so people will replace them faster, and they reduce engine oil capacities to bring down the listed cost of ownership at the cost of engine longevity.
Honestly as a mechanic, I can't wait until the day there is no more gasoline on this planet, I would rather just shoe horses and fix wagon wheels than to have to work on piles of scrap metal that were intentionally designed to be basket case nightmares.

>> No.292923

>>284211
My Gameboy Color is still going strong, however my dad's Original Gameboy is also held up. The screen cover popped out but it stills plays.

>> No.293021

>>285859
>>286106
>http://www.chip.de/downloads/WinHTTrack_13008895.html
helps at copying websites like this threat.

>> No.293028

>>292670
the military equipment must hold for a long time too, because it is contraproductive, when things break at operational disasters.

>> No.293309

g shock. had mine through military. the light stopped working once because of too much sand but a few days later started working again. tough sob watch

>> No.293362

>>285687
http://www.drmartensforlife.com/

Send them in whenever they get fucked up, pay about $30, and they send them back to you like new.

>> No.293383
File: 310 KB, 980x735, watches.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These were passed down all the way from my great grandfathers. The one on the left is over a hundred years old. The other two are at least 65 years old. All are original and in perfect working condition.

>> No.293394 [DELETED] 
File: 900 KB, 2592x1944, WP_002383.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>293383
why is mine from 1780?
because my family crest is from fucking 1556
fuck yes.

>> No.294320
File: 79 KB, 640x421, Checker_Taxi_Madison_Sq_jeh-640x421.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Taking cars that last forever... I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Checker Marathon.

>> No.294351

>>291779
Best hand grenade on the market.