[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 282 KB, 1280x1280, IMG_9596.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2811074 No.2811074 [Reply] [Original]

I have the supplies in my apartment. Most guides I’ve reviewed seem to imply there is no way around trial and error. Please share useful tips and tricks.

>> No.2811079

My grandfather passed this invaluable advice on to me before he died in a kiln explosion: "The screen is lowered down onto the printing board. Ink is added to the top end of the screen, and a squeegee is used to pull the ink along the full length of the screen. This presses the ink through the open areas of the stencil, imprinting the design on the product underneath."

>> No.2811231

>>2811079
Wise words. Thanks for sharing.

>> No.2811260

>>2811074
The screen needs to sit just above the substrate (material being printed) so it "snaps" off as you pull the squeegee. Not a lot, "just enough".

Anyway, have fun. I was a screen printer for 10 years but that was 30+ years ago.

>> No.2811718

Could use some useful tips and tricks...

>> No.2811856

wear gloves

>> No.2811893

>>2811260
True for hard substrates but that kind of "off contact" setup isn't necessary or even helpful when printing textiles.

>> No.2812252

>>2811893
bullshit.

Snap off is absolutely required to get a clean edge even with textiles.

>have literally drawn a squeegee across hundreds of thousands of shirts, hats, jackets, etc.. in a commercial environment.

>> No.2812277

>>2812252
>>have literally drawn a squeegee across hundreds of thousands of shirts, hats, jackets, etc.. in a commercial environment.

So have lots of mouthbreathing retards who have no fucking clue what they don't know

Garment printing is to technically demanding quality screenprinting what blowing contractor grade paint straight out of a five gallon bucket in tract houses with an airless sprayer is to finishing a top of the line concert grand piano.

>> No.2812279

ITT people who have been to prison give advice to clueless white boy.

>> No.2813234

>>2811074
Whatever you do, don't buy the shitty blue vevor press.

>> No.2814244

>>2812277
The screen has to snap off the substrate for a clean edge. How much is determined by the tension on the screen and it's mesh count as well as the substrate and the material being applied through the screen.

I've also screen printed on plastics, metals, and glass. Worked in a cleanroom environment to make plasma displays. Did milspec work on contract. And I still print stuff for shits and giggles once in a while.

Try setting up an 18 color Challenger press in less then 30 minutes while your boss is having a screaming drunk fit, it's fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl9w8t48HIc

How about posting something useful for the O.P. instead of some random gibberish?

https://www.screenprinting-aspa.com/screen-printing-glossary.html

https://www.screenprinting-aspa.com/videos

>> No.2815355

The sun is an excellent exposure light source. Speedball diazo emulsion changes color as it exposes, so tape a quarter or something opaque to a corner of the screen while exposing. When you have good contrast, its done.

t. own multimillion textile printing co