[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.52 MB, 1944x2592, WP_000026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
278295 No.278295 [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys. Im in a bit of a pickle.
I recently aquired a nash goofy foot 1960's skateboard for 30 bucks. As i was cleaning it, i noticed the front kingpin(think screw that holds the trucks together) is stuck. I have tried everything i can to get it unscrewed. I need to do this because its the only way i can clean it and tighten the bushing(increase resistance on the lean). Im planning on modifying a few parts and using it.

tl;dr how do i unscrew a really tight screw?

pic related; the board itself.

>> No.278298
File: 1.70 MB, 2592x1944, WP_000024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bumping with pictures

>> No.278300
File: 1.82 MB, 2592x1944, WP_000025.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

more pictures

Plans:
1: unscrew the fucking screw
2: apply grip to the top of the board
3: either buy urethane wheels from the same era, glue rubber pads to the bottom of the current wheels(clay wheels), or find a way to create my own wheels
4: ride

>> No.278302

Go to the store and get some rust-eez type spray and spray it on and let that shit penetrate (follow the directions), then get it off with a screwdriver that fits the groves nice and tight to avoid stripping.
Duh?

>> No.278305

>>278302
Also, for extra torque, you can take a pair of vice grips and clamp them to your screwdriver, push the screwdriver against the screw with your palm, and rotate that shit out.

Also, maybe the screw is a reverse threaded one?

>> No.278307

>>278302
i already poured wd40 into every crack i could find and let it sit overnight. still no luck.

remember, this screw may have not been unscrewed in over 40 years.

>> No.278313

>>278305
its not reverse threaded. the front and back ones are identical. back one comes off without any effort.

the parts are as follows
top of screw
small washer
the hangers(axels)
bushings
cupped bushing washer
lugnut(seems to be off centered from what i can see)
baseplate

i think the problems somewhere in the baseplate or the lugnut. I've had no luck with the lugnut either.

>> No.278316

>>278307
>WD-40
Maybe try something stronger.
Also, you probably don't have one, but pneumatic/electric impact screwdriver.
After that, your only real option is drilling out the screw, rethreading, and putting new screw.
Which you don't want to do.

But really. Sometimes stuff like this has reversed screws.

>> No.278322

>>278316
I dont own either. Ill have to ask a few buddies if they have one.

>> No.278512

wd40 is shit, try pb blaster.

>> No.278516

You realize goofy foot means left foot forward,right?
There were no goofy foot boards only goofy foot surfers.
DIE

>> No.278518

If you strip out the screw from trying to get it out, and if it's as stuck you you say that's a severe possibility, you'll want to look into an "easy-out".

Imagine a drill bit, reverse the twist, and than taper it. First you drill into the head a little, then tap this tapered reverse-screw into the hold in the stuck screw/bolt/stud. The harder you twist it, the more it grips into the hole and you slowly pull it out.

You'll probably need to replace this screw once you get it out.